Ascension Revamp

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Carribea, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Carribea Active Member

to be perfectly honest, the whole Ascension thing makes no sense to me on how it works, leveling up etc etc, or what the point for those scrolls called guided ascension scrolls are......now i got some in the mail saying there was a revamp of the ascension thing....i can't find any info as to what exactly changed, can someone please tell me what the change was or better yet tell me how this is all supposed to work....thank you
  2. flameweaver Well-Known Member

TBH, the only revamp ascension needs is to throw it out the door marked failure.
    Ashandra, GrunEQ, Mizgamer62 and 3 others like this.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

You know that, I know that, most of us know that... but DBG refuses to do that. Because that would mean they have to balance the classes better and that would be hard to do for them at this time.
  4. slica Active Member

So you’re saying they implemented ascensions as a form of class balance? -_- :0
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

That's my assumption. They don't have the personnel left to actually revamp all the classes. The solution? Don't bother. Replace it with a streamlined set of skill groups. Done!
    Mizgamer62 and Rhodris like this.
  6. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

As a form of cash grab for DBG and pay to win for those who is ready to pay.

The worst part of Ascensions is one has to follow all the tiers from apprentice to grandmaster; it is impossible to skip any of them. As a result the only way to upgrade them in the meaningful time is to research with DBC and it will cost one several hundred $ for one Ascension class.

Ascensions was introduced almost two years ago. At that very moment, from 13 geomancers spells, I have 3 Grandmasters, 1 Master, 5 experts and 5 apprentice. It took me almost two years of regular gameplay to get that far without paying DBC.
    I did a huge mistake choosing Geomancer, the worst class dps wise among all of them, and now I can't even switch the class, because even researching Class Potency buff to Grandmaster will take half a year, or 15-20k of DBC.
    Mizgamer62, Blazen, Agarth and 5 others like this.
  7. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

One thing I want to add. Ok, I'm a long time player, I'm here from the start, for over 13 years. I've seen all kind of things, bad and good about the game, there was time when my old guild (Validus) had a strong relationship with developers and It gives me some additional information about them, I saw and interacted with them on a more personal level then most of the players. And I know there are some great guys on the team, like Gninja. I can bear the curent state of the game, and I'll probably stay till the end; at least as long as I can aford buying Krono for plat. There are some things I still love about EQ2.

But think about the new and returning players-it is impossible for them to find the reasons behind Ascensions and playing the game in general after they realise that it's either 3 years of research or several hundred of dollars/Euro.
    Revanu, Rhodris, Blazen and 3 others like this.
  8. Mandoblast Active Member

I think the largest problem with Ascension is that the availability of crafting the spells is extremely limited. In KA, getting the journeyman scroll was relatively easy but adept was a spell requiring 10 page drops that were not even in the game until last years expert zones were opened. Then we had to go through the same scroll drop for expert but again, the master level was 10 pages. So if you ran the expert zones for 6 months, you might be able to get a couple of spells leveled but you had to be lucky.

Fast forward to PoP, and all of the 1-10 asc pages are not dropping and anyone behind is further behind. 11-15 spells up to grandmaster are not terrible to craft but GM and Ancient are gated behind getting a celestial teaching that requires a character to have finished the TS achievement mount.

All and all, I like the added ASC as it seems to me that this was easier than adding AA trees to characters but it really needs to be way more accessible to level. If it was easier to level, then I think that it would be received by the player base in a much more positive light.
    Rhodris and Meneltel like this.
  9. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Ascensions are fine if you have deep cash $$$ reserves. They are impossible to get otherwise. The 'research' even 'resets' occasionally so one spell that should be 23 days is months coming.
    Mizgamer62 and Meneltel like this.
  10. Xianthia Well-Known Member

The revamp was done quite a while ago. The mail was sent to introduce people to the new way (someone correct me) and receiving it is still in place for any characters.

This site has a fairly detailed description. I've not read through it in a long while, but it should at least start you off.
    http://eq2library.com/guides/ascension-system/
  11. Carribea Active Member

thank you Xianthia.....but tbh it still does not make sense, about those guided ascension scrolls and levelling it all up, i have 21mil guided ascension it seems to cap there, how do i convert it into actual exp tho.
    on another note, while i like EQ2 it really has become a pain for returning players, everything has another requirement, like quest time lines etc etc, i wish they would stop that and let you do em how you want to.....its really kind of disheartening, my friends i used to play with won't even come back because of it
    Mizgamer62, Rhodris and Meneltel like this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

You do quests and kill things until the 21 million is gone. Then you need to either wait for it to recharge or use the scrolls (not having all 4 at least at 10), recharge it using tears of ascension (if you have already hit all 4 at 10 on a character they are available on a merchant in the elft city), or get the ascension things that you get from following the PoP timeline (these boost an ascension skill by one level, but should probably be used on levels over 12 because of the huge savings in time).
  13. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

In my opinion, levels 1-10 need to be reworked to drop ascensions spell pages as 11-15 do. There should be no need to collect the recipe, and then wait to collect 10 (10!!!!) pages just to level up a skill. The pages are ridiculously rare, and even when it was active, I never got enough pages to make anything. I have 5 of some, 8 of another, but when there are 11 spells from 1-10, this is a complete waste of bank box space, especially when also, different tiers of pages were awarded as well. 11-15 was a much cleaner way to do this leveling up without any waste products.
  14. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

If your ascension XP isn't being consumed through normal adventuring - it almost seems like you don't have a currently active ascension class selected.

Visit one of the trainers in the Crusaders Cave or Nye Celona(sp) in the KA expansion to start leveling that class, provided you're of the appropriate adventure level.

The scrolls are a time gate. After your initial 21m XP is gone, you will have to go back to the trainer to pick up more ascension scrolls to "refill" your ascension XP to be gained. Those scrolls are 500k(?) XP per day - plus you have the ability to get 5 for a weekly bonus - and I think the weekly solo quest rewards 5 as well.
  15. Droll Active Member

Dont bother with all that...
    Just do the panda quest in SF (gives you level 5) and pop timeline and get the "adds one level" ascension scrolls. You get them from each faction and the sig quest line. Easily enough available to get you to 15 in a few hours of game time. Even alts i never play are at 15.

Now mastering the spells.... hahahah good luck.
  16. Xellium Active Member

I would support an revamp!
    As currently constituted it's just a brick wall preventing people from progressing.
    Rhodris and Mizgamer62 like this.