PVP-server

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Sapporosan, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dude Well-Known Member

And then they all collapsed.

The dev team has said multiple times that it's not going to happen.
    Simparri likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

But they didn't STAY successful, because older players level locked and twinked and harrassed true new players (for ex, camping revive spots and killing the same person over and over for LULZ) until they left. If you eat your own young, you go extinct.

To be successful, a PvP server needs zones in which the young new players can learn the game without being massacred by older players geared in uber stuff. You can't just dismiss these players as "carebears" or "crybabies". You have to work to get people established and mentored (in the sense of teaching new players how to play, helping them gear up, grouping with them) if you want to maintain a healthy population.

The old PvP servers couldn't manage to do that, and the population dwindled until they had to be consolidated, then closed.
    Juraiya and Simparri like this.
  3. Simparri Active Member

One method that Might work, at least to Some extent. When zones get over-populated they open a Second, or more, instance of the zone. Maybe they could adjust it to open a Dedicated PvP instance, openly marked As so, so those who Don't want to do PvP can stay out of it but those that Do want PvP can run hog-wild with Only those who Want PvP wallowing in it. Not sure if it Would work but it Might be possible. Myself I wouldn't touch it if I was Paid to do it. I was one of those as described by Sigrdrifa in her post above this one & it nearly drove me away from EQ2 in my first month playing the game back in AoD.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Greene Active Member

This is my shocked face, upon hearing that somehow, despite the awesome attitude of the pvp players (above being a typical example), that people don't want to play on a server like that. Absolutely shocked!

I only played on the TLE pvp server for a few hours, but if I remember right (and by all means feel free to correct me while throwing a lot of expletives my way for the real PvP experience), you couldn't 'call out' while getting beat on after spawning at the only spawn point.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I had a healer there for a long time. I enjoyed playing with my guild and friends. But you seem to be a perfect example of someone who liked destroying newbie players. If you can't PvP without using an overpowered highly twinked level-locked toon to destroy lesser-geared toons, you aren't PvPing, you're pretty much shooting fish in a barrel. And people who think that this was a great mode of play is why server populations died.
    Juraiya, Simparri and Breanna like this.
  6. Greene Active Member

Ok my post was edited by a mod because the previous poster got his stuff deleted and I quoted him.

Just to be clear I was not talking about Simparri when I mentioned 'the poster above me' LOL :)
    Simparri likes this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Same with my prior post. It was a perfect example of why abusive PvP players were the cause of death of their own server.
    Juraiya and Simparri like this.
  8. Simparri Active Member

Thanks<grin>.
  9. Katz Well-Known Member

They have had PvP servers in the past and none of them are still here. Why would they start them again when the previous ones failed?
    Simparri likes this.
  10. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

I feel bad for all the people who believe eq2 pvp was only a gankfest full of level locked twinks. You're severly misled and missed out on some of the best pvp any mmo has had to offer.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

No one said it was only that. What has been stated was that new people were discouraged intensely by twinks ganking them over and over. I'm thinking that successful PvP needs some kind of introductory process that helps people learn what PvP is about and keeps the gankfest from happening while people are learning. Whatevert you design, new players have to enjoy the experience enough to come and STAY.
  12. Simparri Active Member

It Might not have been a majority of gankers in PvP but there were by Far Enough of them to drive away new players. Y'all certainly didn't even attempt to police your own ranks to keep them under Some sort of control. Even back in 2011 when I started those gankers nearly drove me away from the game completely in my first month. I could make a 'real world' comparison but I don't think that most would appreciate me tossing political comments in here. Hint: who are those that people would see as 'gankers' out here in real blood.
  13. Probe One Member

Today from EverQuest 2 Fallengate Discord.[IMG]

[IMG]
    Kander
    Pvp server beta coming sometime this year. More news when it's news.

Not sure if a joke or not.

a little late for april fools
    yes it's hard to tell lwithout the winky face emote

That's awesome if it's not a joke lol
    Eradani likes this.
  14. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Not a joke. They wanted to open a pvp beta this summer but you know how things go.
    Eradani likes this.
  15. Eradani Well-Known Member

i beg to differ but the pvp servers started declining after some high level guy, who wouldn't make a low-level twink, got all out of sorts because nobody wanted to level up and play with him. he got the ear of a dev who said, "we'll Make them level up" and pvp xp was born. then people did level up or not, depending on how much hunting they did and some rerolled over and over on hitting 40 and the population got spread out too thin over too many tiers and it just wasn't fun anymore. That's when the pvp servers really started dying.

and then there was the researched gear which made the disparity between traditional twink and super twink even worse than it was before between twinks and newbs. And the PQs which run full for a short time until those peeps became super uber twinks
  16. Fangrim Active Member

The biggest death to pvp on nagafen was mercs and flying.
    Mizgamer62 and Eradani like this.
  17. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Yep, those were two major nails in the coffin. People blaming twinks as the major downfall of pvp has become a meme. It's completely untrue. Nagafen had a strong population of people who didn't twink or didn't quit because of them. Twinks didn't harm pvp enough. Instead, it's a long list of implementations that leave you scratching your head.
    Mizgamer62, Fangrim and Eradani like this.
  18. Eradani Well-Known Member

i'd quit by then but i can imagine that this was really a big nail
    Fangrim likes this.
  19. Atan Well-Known Member

If they can afford to put a dedicated resource on this project and keep it there full time, it might have a chance.

If not, it will be another train wreck.
    Mermut, Cheallaigh and Mizgamer62 like this.
  20. Fistpower Well-Known Member

Just what this game needs, more gimmicky servers with a minimum amount of developer support.

Will be great for populations on the TLE and other servers and be well recieved..
    Cheallaigh and Mizgamer62 like this.