Need Suggestions - get mob to 50%, use item

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Xianthia, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Well, I've been leveling and getting some quests done on a new character. I'm on a quest (of so many) that requires the mob to be a certain percentage before you can use an item. That's fine (not really, but that's different discussion), however I can't seem to get it to that sweet number without killing the mob.

I've been using hex dolls, troll snot, turkey launchers. I literally only have a helmet on (level 110 character) and still can't seem to get the mob to that percentage, without killing it... and yes i know to remove helmet once i post this :D

This particular mechanic, please let it go the way of the dodo. It may be fine and dandy for current content, but once that content is gone the characters are too powerful to go back and get this done.

Help me!

Prior to this quest, I've used the hex dolls and troll snot items with success. It's not working for this one.
    Oops just realized, quest is : Unexpected Consequences. I can't proceed with that quest line unless this is done...
    Juraiya and Mercychalice like this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Remove all gear, including your weapons and don't use spells/CAs. Just beat it with your hands. That should work.
  3. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Have been doing that without success. I'm toying with idea to not even have AAs going. So frustrating atm.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Have you mentored down?
  5. Xianthia Well-Known Member

down to level 85 atm, started at level 95, then 90.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

Only one way to go then ... down. :)
    Xianthia likes this.
  7. guard Active Member

use low level combat arts or spells you can use the level 1 -10 ability's rather than 100 -110
    Argosunited and Xianthia like this.
  8. Daryx Well-Known Member

You didn't mention this so I will point out that you also need to make sure all buffs that have a proc on them are canceled. This includes the Eligas the Young familiar (or any familiars) as many have a damage proc. I usually end up canceling all buffs just to be safe, and you can also hire one of the really old weak mercs and send one in. Some of them never were able to do much on the damage side, and you can perhaps control them to stop when they are near the threshold. I've always been able to get it done with the canceling and sometimes I will put on a level 10 weapon if the character can't do any damage with the bare hands. And yes it's a huge pain when you run into those on a high character (like going back to do the warden epic 1.0....).
    Xianthia and Mercychalice like this.
  9. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

For classes like my fury, it's all spell cast, and I couldn't attack without a weapon. So I turned off all my buffs (setting aa back and forth seemed efficient for complete removal of mount, familiar and buffs in one shot), took off all my armor and jewelry, and bought a level 1 sword to equip so I could "attack" via autoattack only. Seemed efficient enough, though, long-standing boredom ensued while I waited for her to damage it enough to use the clickie. I agree, this is one type of fight that needs to be re-evaluated for content lower than current content.
    Juraiya and Xianthia like this.
  10. Orionza Active Member

I don't know what class you are...but I notice with my ranger class, I have a spell that does extremely little damage and I can use that. There are also some very very low items that cause extremely low damage. I have one I carry that has a tiny amount of heat damage. I try to use those things.

Cancel all your buffs. Put away your merc or pet. Mentor down or take off all equips. And look for spells you have that only do tiny damage. I think those are the best options. I would think that any equipment you carry would have a set amount of damage that would work well on some levels, obliterate other levels, and do like no damage to higher levels. So I wouldn't rely on toys to help much.

A little off topic, but when I'm doing the Familiars Wild quests, I notice that each of my classes I've used so far has either a shackle/root spell with no damage, or a threat spell with no damage. I use those to trigger combat without causing much or any damage. (I'm sure that doesn't help you there but maybe it will be of interest for others reading this thread).
    Xianthia likes this.
  11. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

i usually remove all my buffs / armor / weapons... light a candle, put on some barry white.. and take Dude's advice.
    Zynt, Xianthia, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Check your familiar. The Gaggelu Pearwood in particular AOEs.
    Xianthia likes this.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Okay, trying to complete this.

Went in as 110 adv level, took my merc and my character about 15 minutes to take one a wracked essence down to 49%. Then got the magic item to take it in.

So I have to mentor down using the chronomages to do this ?

Or something else ?

I read the wiki, but it doesn't mentioning mentoring down.

edit:

I did remove weapons on my character. Even slower to get it down in hp.

I'm lost.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You have to do a balancing act. You may be able to leave all you gear on and just equip a tin dagger. I often swap out to my crafting clothes and unequip my weapons, then use Smite of Consistency.

It really depends on the difference in your level vs. the mob's level.

If you can't find a good balance with your current gear/level, try mentoring down closer to the mob's level.
    Breanna likes this.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Merc, my toon, and the mob are all 110 adv level.

On wracked essence number 5 and I'm been at this for about 2 and a half hours.

Just using snare, nature blade, sword, and promordial strike. Sometimes wrath.

The spells don't seem to be doing anything, but its hard to tell.

edit:

Haven't done anything to my toon's gear for 110, except equip it.
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I checked the UI part that shows the mob, and it says we are evenly matched. Doesn't seem to be doing any damage to my character, but the merc does have a Trauma marker occasionaly.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Looks like defeating the Tirun Enforcer is going to take about an hour... hopefully less.
    Breanna likes this.
  18. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I think at 99% left on these mobs should be enough to go to the next step. Its taking over 4 hours to complete.

Good grief.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Approaching 5 hours for this quest.

The Tirun Enforcer is down to 21%. My merc disappeared, didn't die, and my toon didn't run out of money.

Can't rehire because in combat. So boring waiting and waiting. I should have dumped out hours ago, but I thought it was almost done.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

A little over 6 hours to complete now. And Ravinus says there is more. Not for me there isn't.

Thats too long of a quest. The way it reads in the wiki vis far better.

The Enforcer fleed when he got down to zero percent. I don't kow what I could have done differently, but its HP went down slower and slower. It definately took longer to go from 49% to 1% than it did to go from 100% down to 50%.

It finished just as I was about to completely give up. Now its my bedtime. Night.

Oh, something seemed to be buffing the enforcer. Maybe it was doing that. Except for lots of damage to it by my toon's sword, buckler, and wand; one doing 3 Million hp three times a minute; I would never have finished the quest.

Nite.