Is ZAM gone?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Dude, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Dude Well-Known Member

I've been trying to look up some stuff that ZAM had done much better than other sites, but I'm just getting a 404 error. Just wondered if anyone knows what's up.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

As far as I know Zam is still there, but the person that used to do EQ2 stopped doing it I think around level 80 maybe 90. So you should still be able to look up some of the older quest there. I know it's disappointing I always liked Zam better too for a lot of stuff.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Kawoosh like this.
  3. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Zam still comes up for me. It's been wasting away for a few years now, though. Not only is it barely maintained, but they've been removing and reducing stuff for some time. Other than occasionally using it for holidays I stopped relying on it a long time ago.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I usually get an error message when I google game stuff and click on a ZAM link. However, bookmarked links work fine. See if this works for you: http://eq2.zam.com/
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks! That's exactly the problem I was having. I usually just googled what I was looking for and then clicked the link. That's what was not working. Using your link worked like a charm! :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  6. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

The Future of EQ2 ZAM June 1, 2015
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-future-of-eq2-zam.560661/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?members/cyliena.26/
    "Last activity Feb 28, 2017" :(

The Future of ZAM Network
    An update on the future of ZAM. Jun 1st, 2015
    http://eq2.zam.com/story.html?story=36135

http://eq2.zam.com/forum.html?forum=19
    Last post, Dec 03 2017
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Irk...I do rely on Zam for the earlier than level 90 (or whatever level it stopped at) stuff; I far prefer it to the Wiki site, since there's a LOT less ads, especially the video and banner ads that take up so much ISP attention (try to use one of the Wiki page functions, like Search, at the "wrong time" when all the extra hoo-hah is still loading, and woe betide you) and clutter up the screen something fierce...though they do seem to have corrected the thing on the Wiki page where, if you dared to Collapse the blurb at the bottom frame, it would auto-pop up an annoyingly huge banner at the top. X-P

If they're removing/reducing stuff on Zam, though, its usefulness will be plummeting rapidly. :(

Uwk
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

AdBlocker+ FTW!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  9. Ipocrita Active Member

For info, if you log in to WIKI, rather than just viewing it, the ads go away :)
  10. Castegyre Well-Known Member

It isn't a new thing, sadly. I noticed it probably almost two years ago when I was trying to look up information to help someone else and the info wasn't there any more. Then I saw that some comments and articles were missing or incomplete. In part I noticed what was missing because some of the comments were mine. Then my partner mentioned that she had been noticing things were missing for a while and that a lot of the info was redirects as well. There's still some good stuff on Zam, but I'd rather use EQ2i if needed these days.

This is the problem with sources that rely heavily on a healthy fan base using and supporting them.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Not to mention, only a couple of people being responsible for the site. If something happens to them, or their situation changes, there goes the site. One thing I will say in Wiki's favor (and I don't have an account, so I have to put on my ad-waders when I go in [and they say the page won't work at all with Ad-Blocker up]) is that there's a lot more than 1-2 people working on it (I think). :-/

Uwk
  12. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I use an ad blocker called uBlock - I have no issues with the wiki (I did create an account a few years back).
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Someone within the last 2 years went in and deleted a bunch of things off the wiki. It was like they thought "Oh, I completed this, no reason for it to be taking up space here any longer". I know things were deleted because I had printed a few of the quests I was doing so I didn't have to keep looking them up and I lost a page so I went to reprint it and the whole quest is gone.

I have been setting up a spreadsheet, with name of quest, quest starter location and name, level of quest, etc, similar to what EQ2i offers. I love EQ2i and EQ2traders, but I have been so paranoid that Feldon will throw up his hands and stop paying for the server for EQ2 that I have been trying to get as much information down as I can prior. I miss Feldon *sighs*, and the Deities bless Feldon and Den Mum for everything they do for us.
  14. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Hear, hear!!

Three cheers for Feldon and Den Mum!!
  15. Ipocrita Active Member

Another thing I've noticed recently, as I'm trying to be a completionist on one of my toons (poor little thing is working her socks off running around), is that a lot of the older quests are no longer in game. Just in EL, for example, there are many from starter clickies or drops from mobs that just aren't there any more. Some of these have notes to say just that on WIKI, others have a note on the discussion page, but it seems that a lot of older content is just forgotten about now. Shame really as some of them were really fun to do.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. Anniejo New Member

I used to really enjoy Zam website for everquest and everquest II (plus other games) information. However, since it appears the website isn't being kept up to date; I end up onEQ2i and EQ2traders the most.

**sigh** thought Zam would always be there. Learned late in life; Nothing is forever!
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hip, hip, huzzah!
    [repeat x2...well, once for the original, then two more times after that ;->]

Uwk