Why doesn’t Daybreak employees post information on the official forums?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Zarnafien, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why information is being given out on Discord while the Official forums remain silent. Honestly, I cannot think of any other business that treats its customers in this manner. Very frustrating.
  2. Melt Actually plays the game

Because discord has better administrative tools for this wonderful community we share and has a generally faster/easier response time. Discord != Satan
  3. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I believe there's several factors and some history involved, but ultimately its about controlling their communication and exposure. In a sense I don't blame them, but I also think its a horrible way to handle customer service so I disapprove.
  4. Xillean Well-Known Member

Yeah not a fan of discord, I dont really care if they use if they would only post stuff here too but it is what it is I suppose.
  5. Relanah Active Member

Well... Hi-Rez Studios also leaves its official forums barren. Preferring instead to do all the communicating via Reddit (All the stuff on their actual forums has to be brought by users who get the info from Reddit and paste it onto the forums...).

Heck, they even employ community managers FOR their own forums and STILL don't do anything on their own forums (What a nice job, get paid to do literally nothing all day... Must be nice... Just gotta respond to a ****post every 2-3 months and that's it!)

But yeah... It's frustrating, but it's not a particularly shocking turn of events these days...

They usually come out with the response "Oh, X website targets a larger audience!" and then forget the small facet that it's because they leave their actual forums as wastes of space that it doesn't get the traffic...
    Rynda and Ceyllynn like this.
  6. Iglu Active Member

Not even sure how a new player finds out that EQ2 has a discord server currently.
    Rynda and Ceyllynn like this.
  7. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

If only there were someone in charge of relations... of the community. Like a community relations person. That would be kinda nifty.
    Steelviper, Iglu, Febrith and 7 others like this.
  8. Drona Well-Known Member

May be not the right place for this question but anyone got the link for the discord server? :)
  9. Archon of Hate Active Member

Easier to ban people for having differing opinions on there.
    Kielex, Adoninilol, Xillean and 5 others like this.
  10. Krue New Member

Many communities have switched over to discord/twitter/facebook for communication nowadays. Even Blizzard has been doing it for years. Especially Blizzard. It's simply easier to manage the toxic, vocal minority of players that pervade gaming forums.

Take a look around these forums. Whines, complaints, drama queens, the occasional tantrum. If you relied solely on these forums for information, you probably wouldn't even bother playing, the game sounds like a disaster. Yet it's just a small fraction of the population that actually ever bothers coming here.

Not that I like it this way, I'm old school, I like reading forums for all my info, and talking/debating stuff related to the game at hand. Unfortunately the mentality of the internet isn't the same as it was 20 years ago, when most people see that text input box, they spew their mental diarrhea into it, like everyone seems to do with twitter and facebook.
    Ceyllynn and Wreakinn like this.
  11. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

https://discord.gg/HTCNzmW
  12. Mindsway Well-Known Member

They should at least make a summary post of things they've said on other media. This should be the hub of EQ2 information, not one out of many. It'd dumb that we have to flip through various social media to make sure we didn't miss anything important.
    Mermut, Quillyne, Xillean and 4 others like this.
  13. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Whenever I go to Discord all I see is a bunch of people making inane comments to be the last to post. It is way to chaotic for me to navigate.
  14. Glynt Active Member

probably like alot of things comes down to lack of money.
  15. Relanah Active Member

Well...

One could argue, that the site that they own, and have complete control over (Including who can access various parts of it, or post at all) would be the easiest place to manage toxicity.

Outside of that, it again comes down to how things have been done.

If you encounter something frustrating and you want to complain about it 'cause you're a walking salt factory, what's the first place you encounter when you type "Everquest 2" into google? Oh, right, their official website and forums!

While those looking to contribute have explored enough to know to go elsewhere...

Which is a key thing that always confuses me about when companies do this. Literally, their own forums is the first thing to come up with a simple google search. Coupled with the fact that a number of people simply have no interest in signing up to Twitter/Reddit/Facebook/Discord/Whatever. Means that honestly? It's illogical to abandon your own forum (That you're paying to keep up irregardless...)

I mean, other sites can be useful. For example, Twitter is excellent for quick announcements such as when there's server issues or emergency maintenance, it can get a message out the same minute a problem arises.

However, the fact remains that really, your own site is literally the best place to be the font of all knowledge and announcements as you can control EVERYTHING about the site (Including links to other sites such as the "Share This Page" buttons down at the bottom of page)
    Meneltel likes this.
  16. Roxxlyy Community Relations

I want to know what you mean by "information" in this particular case. That is a very broad term and I want to make sure I'm understanding the concerns correctly.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  17. Stach Well-Known Member

This time it was specifically the Dagger Storm issue, it was broken, then in patch notes said it was fixed, then proven still broken for Swashys, and I believe one of the Devs acknowledged that in Discord, but the dev or you did not come to forums to post the known issue, it was up to somebody who just happened to be in Discord t come here and repost it.
    The process should be, Dev or You come to the forums and say, hey we fixed it for some, but not for Swashys we will work on that, please bear with us, it was case we did not test during the testing.
    Of course you will get flamed by the people who like to do that, but I would bet most would appreciate that
    Semperfifofum, Siren, Lateana and 3 others like this.
  18. Redlight Well-Known Member

Well if things are still broken after 2 failed fixes it might be nice to be told why and what was being done to rectify it instead of scouring through Discord to find a glib comment for one.
    Siren, Mermut, Quillyne and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

roxxlyy... how many times something is said in discord now, and not in the forums/twitter/FB, and those of us who don't use discord or even those who do... have to scroll/beg to find out anything at all? it's really sad at this point. especially with fixes for issues that can be game-breaking.
    Redlight, Lateana and Rhodris like this.
  20. Glynt Active Member

I'm not a fan of Discord. Where are the community messages normally posted?