Will Test get things to test for the new expansion coming up?

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Oct 2, 2017.

1. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

Being QA is the prize for winning progression!
  2. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Its because they don't take design feedback. It wouldn't be so bad if they took feedback from one xpac and carried it over to the next, but they don't. At best you'll get a 'you don't have to play it' as a response. At every level you are just glorified bug reporters. Even raid council is just a place to keep those high impact raid bugs contained in a private section in hopes that their extent of disfunction won't reach the general public. Your best bet is they make some worse version of what you suggest and act like you had no part in it.
  3. Rotchi Active Member

This is how I imagine QA at DBG: "The code compiled, now push it to live for testing"
    Neiloch and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine used to work QA for SOE...was lost as one of the "fat-trimming" measures that cut "fat" down to the bone marrow. :(

Uwk
  5. Neiloch Well-Known Member

No syntax errors=ready for live
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

LOL yeah but don't expect payment beyond perks.

Yeah that doesn't seem to be the best place to find fat, but I can't deny that the community will scream bloody murder whenever there is a bug so I can see how that illogic worked out. Unfortunately it also leads to bugs that work in the player's favor being wall-of-silenced until they are fixed and people are called out as exploiters. That last one is perhaps the most negative effect of lack of pro QA in a game. I hope they kept a few to prevent such things.
  7. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

LOL right
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, hey, leave people their dreams... ;->

Uwk
  9. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

You know, I sometimes wonder if people are negative in order to see how much they can push the developers to give them stuff in a vain attempt to make them happy. Gamers? Trying to game the system? Naah.
    Kaitheel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! Isn't that one of the reasons we're called "gamers"? :D

Uwk
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  11. Xakrein Well-Known Member

The bulk of actual testing is done on Live, and has been so for quite some time now. I am surprised that DBG still maintains a "test" server. Outside of testing token/trivial things like seasonal events, it has not been effectively utilized for many years. Any time something of actual importance comes up, we get a temporary beta server.
    -Soteria- and Neiloch like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ooh, you went there and opened that can of worms... X-P

On your head be it. ;) The Test community may be small, but we're passionate. :)

Uwk
  13. Finora Well-Known Member

Maybe if more people actually played on the test server and Daybreak actually put some of the things ON test server before putting them on live (both DB and SOE have been guilty of that) more things would get tested at the high end. But because so few people bother playing on test and the fact that quite often patched don't actually go to test before they go to live that doesn't happen. Hard to test raid changes when you don't even have a full raid worth of people playing even if you count people who aren't high enough to participate.

While I enjoy playing on test, they ought to just bring back the test copy server. Because we all know that the vast majority of people who complain about things not getting tested aren't going to level up another character on test server to test anything. They'd rather just sit back and blame someone else for not getting it done.
  14. Neiloch Well-Known Member

The content that often needs the most testing would require people essentially 'main' on the test server since there are gear/progression requirements. It would mean the test server characters are perpetually 'ahead' of their live ones just so they can do free QA.

I find it amusing you think its some how the responsibility is shared on the players to test content so its viable for live
    Yes, those "someones" who are drawing a paycheck to do THEIR JOB. It really is amazing how many players have been brainwashed. Other games don't do this. Maybe those shady kickstarters. Even the most P2W, F2P, grind clone MMO's go live more polished and ready than EQ2 as of late and they have convinced some players its some how the paying customers fault. Perhaps it is in way, although its not because they won't do QA for free, its they keep giving them money for the same behavior.
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

That would be the whole point of me saying they need to bring back the test copy server? Because no one wants to play on test 24/7 with the whole 12 other people there and try to get their test characters up to the level of their live server characters? It was feasible back when the level cap was lower and there wasn't so much grind, things like ascension and diety points, but now it just can't be done effectively.

And what is the bs about being brainwashed that paying customers should test things? I never said that they HAD to, I just said they shouldn't complain about other players not testing, when they don't do testing themselves. Which is what I see on these boards. People complain about test server not doing this that or the other. Test server players are just regular players too, with characters on other servers etc, who get blamed for "not testing enough" when things go to live broken.

Eq2 (heck Eq1 too) has never been big on the going live polished, even when testing has been better. There were always some last minute tweaks that didn't go well.

I'm also going to point out that with a limited staff (even when they had more people) is not going to find all the things an active testing population of players is going to find.
    Thus, until they reopen test copy or make it so people can copy to test, things, particularly at the high end and things that require grinds to get to will go to live broken.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I used to adventure more than I do; I guess there comes a point of diminishing returns with each new toon created...naahhh. :D

But seriously, most of what I do now is play catch-up for my new toons (and on Test, yep; I'm one of those useless holiday testers [though I do admit to "slacking off" on new quests that will take freaking forever] :-/) and craft/decorate. Since we don't have a lot of participation on Test for house swaps, that makes it tricky, but I vow from now on, if there's any just plain contests that come up, not necessarily swaps, I'm just gonna do 'em on Test. I know Niboota has a toon there, or can whip one up for the occasion. ;->

Uwk
    who has a nicely stable population of toons on Test, thank you very much
  17. Xakrein Well-Known Member

Looks like we agree that the current test server structure is not fit for purpose. A small handful (12?) of people running around on Test is not going to produce anything meaningful. It should either be scrapped, or completely remodeled. At least a "test copy" server would have a chance of being more inviting for player participation.

I disagree. I believe paying customers have every right to voice concerns about the state of internal QA / Testing, and the system put in place for public testing. Trying to claim that anyone not playing Test should not complain, sounds incredibly misguided.

I may have to go back and re-read this thread, but I do not believe anyone on this thread has claimed that no bug should ever reach a live server. This thread was created by someone who voiced concern that Test is barely (if at all) utilized for one of the most relevant routine updates EQ2 produces, expansions.

In the discussion that followed, the utilization and relevance of the Test server was raised. I agree with your idea of the Test server being changed to be a Test Copy server, if the Devs are prepared to actually utilize the server, and engage in feedback in a meaningful manner. You will have to excuse my hesitation in believing there is even a remote chance that will happen at this stage of EQ2s life.
    Neiloch likes this.
  18. Ixian Active Member

Finora's specifically talking about when people complain about other players (eg: those who test what limited amount of stuff they can on the test server) don't find issues, not the stuff you mentioned.
  19. Xakrein Well-Known Member

Hmm, OK. If that is actually the case, has someone done that on this thread?
  20. Gelenor Well-Known Member

Irony would be in Xakrein has since logged in an alt to Test server to participate and get the mount