September 2017 Producer’s Letter: It’s Expansion Season

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Mooncast, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmogre Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Not sure I want to see that animation...I think it would go against the Terms of Service.
    Mizgamer62, ttobey and Prissetta like this.
  2. Nero Active Member

Wait.... what do you mean "last you checked"? Actually don't answer that..... Just... just go make more tentacles please!!!
    Dude, Malleria, Sigrdrifa and 3 others like this.
  3. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Yay ttobey! We are not worthy.....we are not worthy..... etc. etc. <3
    Dude, Prissetta, ttobey and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Exactly all this and then some. Drive players away from the game, and you'll just drive yourself out of a job when the game sunsets.
  5. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Pics or it didn't happen.
  6. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Seeing that they "fixed" a pair of bugged pants that looked like Speedos on guys, because it went against some ESRB rating, yet the female characters run around half naked in some outfits.

I rather enjoyed being told all the time to put pants on.
  7. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Can we promote Ttobey to the community team? More charisma and enthusiasm in one line than in a whole post.
    Snikkety, Dude, Castegyre and 3 others like this.
  8. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I am a proud member of the Mr. "T"tobey fan club (and a card carrying member)! ;)
    Prissetta likes this.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

GIFs or it didn't happen.
    Kethryl likes this.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

If you have enough time to be checking Caith for dangly bits, you have enough time to animate my BROOM Mount, and if Caith has dangly bits then everybody looking "well endowed" while riding a BROOM Mount should be a non-issue.

But you do get a +1 for the humour *giggles*. But you are still way in the negative, even with the plus one.

Now off you go and get that BROOM Mount ready in time for NoTD, I have work to do on my new RATtatobey Trap. *evil grin and cackling*

Cyrrena
    Dude likes this.
  11. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

I'm not him, and your comment is a "remade/rehashed from previous" comments. Not surprising from someone who only has a filmography of "10 years.". You do know there were films in the ah 20th Century? And gosh darn, there were even 19th Century films.

But as to examples of 'a few "unique/original content"' movies, pre-2007, ""I've seen"":

Nosferatu, ein Symphonie des Grauens (1922), dubbed. :p
    - Yes, the Stoker estate sued.
    Ben-Hur (1925)
    - The redo, Ben Hur (1959), won 11 Oscars.
    Steamboat Willie (1928)
    The Front Page (1931)
    Lost Horizon (1937)
    - In case anyone is wondering, redone as His Girl Friday (1940).
    A Wild Hare (1940)
    - Oscar nominated.
    - Bugs Bunny would receive two Academy Awards nominations before winning the Oscar in 1958.
    - Oscar winners Bugs and Mickey would appear in Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988).

- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988); http://archive.is/eGKuq "cultural, historic or aesthetic importance."
    Casablanca (1942)
    Sahara (1943)
    Cheaper by the Dozen (1950)
    To Catch a Thief (1955)
    - Sort of redone as It Takes a Thief (1968-1970).
    The Longest Day (1962)
    - Based on the book The Longest Day (1959) by Cornelius Ryan; based on actual WWII events.
    Father Goose (1964)
    Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    - Strangely
    Fail Safe (1964)
    - these two films depict a nuclear strike on the Soviet Union.
    The Flight of the Phoenix (1965)
    - "Mr. Towns, you behave as if stupidity were a virtue. Why is that?" Heinrich Dorfmann
    - Reprised somewhat as "Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?" Ellen Ripley, Aliens (1986).
    Mister Moses (1965)
    - The real inspiration for Han Solo.
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    The Lord of the Rings (1978)
    - The redo, The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Two Towers (2002), The Return of the King (2003).
    - The Return of the King won 11 Oscars, tying the record of most Oscars held by Ben Hur (1959, a remake) and Titanic (1997, from a string of remakes).

I'd mention post-2007 films, but the example list would be equally long.

Some characters will say these are 'war*,' 'romance,' 'comedy,' 'historical,' based off books, ad nauseum. But so are All comments too. Not to mention All people are remakes; think about it.
    * Yes, yes, War, Famine, Pestilence, Death, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse; Bible.

The amusing and professional view from writers, is every movie can be traced to just a few sources.

Epic of Gilgamesh (2100 BC)
    Iliad (760 BC), and it's sequel Odyssey. Darn another darn sequel. :eek:
    Bible
    William Shakespeare

Copyright free of course.

You do know that originality and entertaining can be mutually exclusive, or mutually inclusive?

"The Information Age offers much to mankind, and I would like to think that we will rise to the challenges it presents. But it is vital to remember that information — in the sense of raw data — is not knowledge, that knowledge is not wisdom, and that wisdom is not foresight. But information is the first essential step to all of these."
    Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Cyrrena, Dude, Castegyre and 2 others like this.
  12. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I remember the 7 basic story types from class decades ago. Most of the stories we have can be boiled down to those 7 types. Things get re-imagined and repeated in various ways. That is not the problem I see here.

If I were to sell people on an epic extension to Will Smith's I am Legend, a new movie based on that film with killer action and great scenes, people would get hyped for that. If I delivered on that promise there wouldn't be a problem. Everyone's happy and I'm honest.

If instead I gave people 30 minutes of Mark Dacascos, Vincent Price, and Charlton Heston outtakes and promo reels from I am Omega, Last Man On Earth, and Omega Man I believe the customers would have the right to be angry. That's not a 'there's nothing new under the sun' situation. That would be capitalizing on emotions to fleece gullible people by using something they enjoy to get in to their wallets without giving them the spirit of what was promised. That is the problem I see here.
    Mizgamer62 and Tekka like this.
  13. Eristal New Member

Regardless of the recycle-reuse debate, if you were an original player of EQ1, then you must realize that PoP was one of THE best expansions of it's time, with content, quests, zones and otherwise. If they are truly releasing a PoP expansion, then they have some big shoes to fill. This has the potential to be the best, or the worst expansion they have released.
  14. Vipersx Member

I Second This. There have been many server mergers and some of us have taken breaks over that time. One of my characters has two zz because there was two server mergers. Yet the people that have the real name are lvl seven and have not logged in in over 3 years, but not 5 years. SOE was sold around 3 years ago. At that time alot of people quit or moved on after the disappointment of EQ Next. I think the Name Purge should be 3 years. Also, if someone has not logged in since the server mergers they should also lose their name. I lost half of my character names to people who have never logged into the server after the merge. I would personally also add on other condition to the name purge... Any characters under lvl 50 on none Time Locked servers should have their names taken if they have not been logged in over the past year. It takes like less then a week to get a character to lvl 95 and people can buy there way up to that level. Let the "Great Name Purge of 2017" begin!!!!!!
  15. Theodious Member

Wait, wait, wait, wait..... Does this mean Nexus is coming????
  16. Alenna Well-Known Member

so if I who have quite a few alts have some alts under 50 and because of the present expansion had no time all year to log into those characters because i had to concentrate on my one raid character I should lose the name? NO.
    Spindle likes this.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

They send an email when they do this sort of thing. Everybody can log in to the various toons to protect their names. Take slow, deep breaths.
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

And to be honest, that is part of the problem. That's what happened last time and people who don't even play anymore came back specifically to grief other players because the only requirement was to have the character logged on once before the merge. The person who nicked the name of my alt still hasn't played the character again and its been 2 years. The person hadn't logged in for 3ish years before that and they did it just to spite someone else. Some people even got mails/tells from the people doing it laughing about it.

Daybreak shouldn't put it out anywhere but through the forums, discord, in game email and the MOTD in game.
    That would cut down on the griefing if they can't manage to do it by which characters are actually seeing playtime. IMO they should start with a purge names on any character who hasn't logged in since the merges 2 years ago.
    Armageddoux and Prissetta like this.
  19. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

Might solve the problem to a degree but not entirely.. People may not play but still read forums, they see name purge inc and they'll log toons for names, or the people that do still play could contact those that don't play anymore via Facebook, email, text, etc and be like, "oh by the way, name purge inc" and well you still have your problem.

Just my two cents and playin devil's advocate
  20. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

They 100% should NOT have announced the name purge.
    Thats the only way to prevent people from logging in then out to save names on characters they havent used for years.
    Malleria likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.