Battlegrounds

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Taryn, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Taryn New Member

I started EQ2 day 1 and when PvP was introduced, I moved over to Nagafen. I took a break before the pvp servers were taken away. So now I just resubbed and saddened that my beloved PvP server is gone but what about Battlegrounds? I see something about proving grounds and I just did a solo match for the first time. It was a pretty horrible and boring experience I never want to repeat. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

There is no pvp in any form left in the game. I use this game for dungeon groups & pve and another game for pvp.
    Dude likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You get a bunch of friends together in Sinking Sands and hold duels if you want PVP.
  4. Cirvandal Active Member

5. Nuada Active Member

Yes but this are PVE (Spell-Art) Rules has nothing to do with real Ballanced PVP
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's all that is left in EQ2 and there won't be anything else.
    ConcealFate likes this.
  7. Cirvandal Active Member

Then explain Proving Grounds combat mechanics, how it is based on the Battlegrounds experiment from late ToT.

Would be great if those who don't know anything about this game would just poof disappear off these forums. It is starting to trigger me how much gibberish there is on these forums nowadays.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The group Proving Grounds are a PVE competition between two teams. Whoever completes their PVE run fastest is the winner. Simplicity itself.

There is no whacking of other players anymore aside from duels, period. There is not going to be future PvP in EQ2, either, as the game simply was not designed with PvP in mind. This doesn't mean that EQ3 or whatever successor comes along will not have PvP, but it has to be "baked in" as the game is designed from the ground up.
    Ceyllynn, Dude and Prissetta like this.
  9. Cirvandal Active Member

Competition between two teams of who can find the best exploit, yeah real content!

PvP in EQ2? Yeah it definitely did not bring heaps of players to the game. Nagafen/Vox were really low population servers and Battlegrounds weren't active 24/7 until end AoM. /turns sarcasm off, get your facts together please.
  10. Xaeyla New Member

Where are the Nagafen and Deathtoll servers now?
    Ceyllynn and dirgenoobforreal like this.
  11. Melkior Well-Known Member

They were of course abandoned, by the throngs of people that adore PVP. Whether it was because of the toxic atmosphere on the server, or because PVP was broken, I leave to those who were on the servers at the time to debate. Bottom line, no one was logging in for it when it ended, even if that was not true when it was introduced.
    Dude, Mermut and Ceyllynn like this.
  12. Cirvandal Active Member

They are both gone because they stopped updating those servers so people quit. FB is still broken, live is in the same state, too bad you are all blinded apparently.
    Adoninilol likes this.
  13. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

The problem is that after the second update the "Balance?" you speak of got more lopsided, until they finally just screwed it up so bad it couldn't be fixed..so they hired a pvp dev, and lo and behold he really trashed it, put it in a box and nailed it shut.
    Much the same direction as the rest of the game...take a really good look at the last expansion and tell me they have any clue what they are doing anymore.
    The really good people they had jumped ship before Smokejumper and Smed left.
    They still around??
  14. Ashandra Well-Known Member

That map balance of theer was the nail in the coffin for bgs people stopped logging with the zone continually queuing you solo we asked to have it removed but it was left there.
  15. Dude Well-Known Member

I stated that PvP is gone, which is true. I stated that it won't be coming back, which according to the Dev team is also true. So, I'm looking for the part that is gibberish. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
    Sigrdrifa, Mermut and Ceyllynn like this.
  16. Cirvandal Active Member

False, you said that there are no different ability rules in the game. I contradicted that by pointing out that there still are PG/BG server rules.

I also didn't say BG's would return. Enlightened?

PS According to the dev team during early KA they were planning on another full new BG revamp to be released at around this time of the year. Now, this obviously is not going to happen, but something to keep in mind with the promises they are making for next xpac.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't realize you weren't reading in context of the conversation so I'll explain it.

It starts with Sigrdrifa talking about the only PvP left in the game.
    Nuada replied to that post saying that dueling wasn't really PvP.
    In response to that, I pointed out that it's the only PvP left in the game and there won't be anything else.

Context is also very helpful for understanding statements from the development team. If they say that they are not going to put effort into something that is outside their core focus (i.e. the PvE game), it probably has a lot more validity than when they say that they are looking at putting effort into something that is outside of their core focus. It doesn't completely rule it out, but it's also impossible to rule out that tomorrow I'll win the lottery, start dating Emma Stone, and cure cancer.
    Prissetta and Ceyllynn like this.
  18. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

why does this keep getting regurgitated?

I love PVP!
    I stopped playing...
    where is my PVP?!
    make post in forums
    rinse and repeat
    Prissetta, Melkior, Xaeyla and 4 others like this.
  19. Finora Well-Known Member

They stopped updating Deathtoll when it was a pretty dead server they were planning to merge, a failed experiment. They stopped updating Nagafen when they decided they were going to merge it because it was dead despite multiple merges of the other failing pvp servers into it.

They both became dead because nothing the devs did for the PVP ruleset seemed to satisfy enough of the PVP players to keep the population healthy.

Now here we are in late 2017 and there is no pvp beyond duels and no plans (as far as anyone knows) of the devs adding more. The OP's question was asked and answered, why do others keep beating the dead horse?
    Ceyllynn, Rhodris, Sigrdrifa and 2 others like this.
  20. Cirvandal Active Member

“Yes but this are PVE (Spell-Art) Rules has nothing to do with real Ballanced PVP”
    Yes, but that's all that is left in EQ2 and there won't be anything else, is what you responded, not PvP, the reply was about spell-art rules, you responded to that very vaguely. Perhaps instead of lowkey telling me to learn how to read, you should do so.