Animating the horses - suggestion

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Semperfifofum, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I'm getting stuck on anyplace I have to walk up steps or anything that requires jumping if I am using a horse - actually anything other than wings and backpack leapers. If I am in a place that doesn't allow flying and I'm using anything besides wings I simply can't jump. I get some kind of roar or animated growl, but nothing. Couldn't we get a bit of a jump or a hover or something to help with movement?

Sure I can turn off rendering mounts. Sure I can just use wings. But it seems meh to do so. Wrangler seems much less exciting if I'm limited. Are all the limits required? Is fixing them on some "to do list" that got pushed below the A-list?

How about a hover tonic for our mounts? The animation could still be growl or cry out or whatever, just jump up a bit too. (Only momentarily, not asking for the hover to last longer than it would as a jump.)
  2. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

The jump heights on all mounts isn't controlled by the animation, it's code driven. If I animate it higher the code doesn't read my Y translation.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

My understanding of what Semper is saying has to do with how the space key works when mounted and not moving. The mount 'rears', but doesn't jump. You have to be moving to 'jump' on a mount. This makes it difficult to get to places in some dungeons.. like the timed quest in Ritual Chamber where you have to get up the ridges on the wall.
  4. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I meant. I find myself using wings or turning off the mount in cases where I prefer a really nice mount to the wings. I've even gotten off my horse, jumped up to the "alcove" and then got back on the horse before opening the breakable wall. LOL

I really love some of the horses. And I still wish for a Loping plains style flying horse with blue smoke hooves. ;) But I can see how the animation might be different from the movement code. Just hoping for some improvement.
  5. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

OK right, it plays jump substitute if you aren't moving. You'd have to get a code fix to change that too.
  6. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Should it put it on the issue tracker? Not sure this rises to the level of a "bug" it's more like a quality of life, or UI/movement smoothness thing.

Thanks for replying, ttobey. ((hugs)) for all you do!
  7. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

It won't get changed. Sorry.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

Just remember, the "issue tracker" is just a community site and has nothing to do with DBG.
  9. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Wings it is then. Sigh.
  10. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

I just keep mounts hidden for this specific reason. I remember yelling at people in VP back in the day to hide their mounts because they couldn't make the jump from the edge of the lava pool in the entry hall.
    Semperfifofum and Finora like this.
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

The old dumpy looking horses jumped and backed up quickly. Movement was pretty much like not being on a mount. When we got the new look for horses, they started moving like they do now.

I just keep them off if I know I'm going to need to hop around.
  12. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Well it's a good way to keep track of which issues have been looked at, to our knowledge, and which have not. As annoying as this issue is, and as limiting to the game, I'd like to think it will be fixed, but we've been told outright that it isn't going to change. So in this case there's not much point tracking it.