I'm having a REALLY hard time leveling on FG

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by cynosis, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Bekkr Well-Known Member

I think the point is complaining about leveling speed and focusing on quests are kind of at odds with each other. You either want to cruise along and experience all the content, in which case you aren't really concerned about leveling speed, or you want to level quickly, in which case, as has been pointed out, questing is one of the slower ways to level.
    Snikkety and Semperfifofum like this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Questing by itself can be slow, but if you are going to be in a zone or instance ANYWAY grinding, pick up the dang quests for that zone, you'll pretty much auto complete them as you go, then you get extra XP when you turn them in. Grinding and questing are not mutually exclusive.
    Alenna and Semperfifofum like this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

The message I'm hearing (which I've found to be unfortunately true) is that leveling w/o grinding is painfully slow. For me it has nothing to do with grouping vs soloing... just that I get more then enough grinding on live and I'd hoped for a enjoyable break from it on Fallen Gate (even Stormhold quest xp is leaps and bounds more then Fallen Gate). Unfortunately, I either grind on Fallen Gate or level at a glacial pace.
    Semperfifofum and Mizgamer62 like this.
  4. jessejames Active Member

I don't understand why people call grouping with people and being social "grinding" but sitting isolated playing by yourself not. To me questing feels like grinding and grouping with people is just fun.
    Semperfifofum and Bekkr like this.
  5. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

This server is trying to recreate a time in EQ2 where grouping was needed and a part of the game.

If you don't like other people and must be level 50 within the first 12 weeks, I suggest you go play on any of the live servers. Its that simple. There are several options to everyone.
  6. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Every MMO game server is about money making as far as I know, ESO, WOW, GW, BDO, FFXIV, etc included.

The big idea behind FG in my opinion is to give people some interesting and alternative experience while some of us waiting for a next game expansion. This event should keep people occupied for several months. Slow leveling is a must if you want to keep people occupied for months.

I guess almost everyone understand it, except for a few as always.
    Dude likes this.
  7. jessejames Active Member

I challenge you to find me a MMORPG that isn't about making money..... READY..... SET.... GO!!!!!!!!!

paying money is optional. you can do the game without paying a penny if you have enough time. You can farm plat for kronos and even buy gifted vit potions. familiars... on the broker. Take off your tin foil cap, quest XP doesn't suck because they are trying to make money, it sucks because they rather people group up as the primary means of leveling and quest as a secondary. unlike other mmorpgs. They are equally trying to make money off solo and group players and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Dude likes this.
  8. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is a playstyle issue. And since it was fixed later (or so I've been told in this thread), it seems that we're not the first to discover the disparity in xp between questing and dungeon crawls, nor the first to be frustrated by it. Possibly we're just rediscovering something that happened earlier, frustrated a part of the population earlier, and will go away after a few more expacs come out. Acknowledging that one part of the population isn't happy right now isn't any criticism of the other part of the population's playstyle.

Wow. Where to begin?

1. Grouping is needed and part of the game on live, so no that wasn't the recreation.
    2. I and Mermut probably both like other people and both group when needed on any server.
    3. You missed the point about reading quests, talking to the voiced NPCs, and the lore. That's what is being recreated for those who want to enjoy questing primarily - on TLE.
    4. Right now on live, you run "zones" until you drop, then log off. Having a similar experience on TLE is... just exacerbating the burn out for those who don't enjoy that.
    5. Nobody "must have level 50 within the first 12 weeks" just because they point out the xp disparity.We come to the forums to discuss, and several truths have come out about that:

- Later expacs alleviated the xp-disparity, and it was a historical artifact that we're experiencing again.
    - Combining questing with grouping can give some temporary relief for those times when you get too frustrated with progress. (Thank you Sigridfa for that insight.)

But I think the most important insight is the competitiveness. Suddenly it's important to be 50, important to get the HQs done as quickly as possible... because then we can loot the level 100 versions of things. I think it's equally important to keep in mind one's goals and put them above the goals of others. If my goal is to re-experience the story of EQ2, then I accept the slow leveling. If I allow the competition to drive my play, then I will be more frustrated.

I think the HQ loot is a brilliant way to get a good population on the server. But I also suspect that a lot of the derision toward "questers" is because people want to fill up their groups so they can get their HQs done. They worry we won't join. Well that's not the case, but I think it's important to be in a good Guild that organizes grouping and sets a date/time so that you can plan, and so that you can quest the rest of the time in peace.

I'm proud to be a fan and to pay for a valuable product. If you're not, then maybe you should consider the possibility that the product will no longer exist and how you would feel about that. The very definition of gamer is that you're a fan of gaming. So I don't know what you're QQing about.
    Snikkety and jessejames like this.
  9. jessejames Active Member

Whos saying you have to buy potions? If you want them they are there and you can even buy them with in game currency. Who says you even need to pay for a monthly sub?.... wait i'm repeating myself.... oh I see now... its a troll.... ugh... time to go back to work.

Edit: Guess he is just butt hurt I made some valid points so resorts to the "Oh noz fan boi!" comeback
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  10. Zenji Well-Known Member

omg can't you tell who the entitled little brats are..

Your monthly sub (that can easily be purchased with plat), only earns your entitled little *** the right to log into the game.

You "earned" Vet pots? No they were given to you as a reward. You make it sound like you have to shovel out $$$ to get anything. Which is so far from true. If play the game you can make plat very quickly. Then turn around and buy all the pots and kronos your heart desires.
  11. Alenna Well-Known Member

there are no griffin trainers on teh griffon towers on FG not sure why. so no griffon access quest.
  12. Zenji Well-Known Member

They were not added until much later on SH, so we can most likely expect the same on FG.
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

I enjoy grouping.. I do not considering grouping to be grinding... I considering killing mobs (solo or group) for the sole or primary purpose of xp (with little to no other goal/rewards besides xp) to be grinding. Most times it is a matter of grabbing as many mobs as the tank/healer combo can handle, killing them, rinse and repeat. THAT is what I find mind-numbing.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  14. jessejames Active Member

grabbing as many mobs as possible and coming close to wiping out but just barely making it is pure fun

my fav tanks are SKs that room pull
  15. Atan Well-Known Member

If I'm not making a focused effort to min/maxing that mob slaughter, then yes it can get grindy. Even making a focused effort, after a couple hours, I've had all I can take.

But what makes it 'fun' for me are a few things:
    1) Socializing while doing it
    2) Measuring my own performance and gauging how I can improve it (can I do better than last time)
    3) Competing with other team members to see if I try x or y, can I best them
    4) Getting rare named loot
    5) Getting HQ and other side objectives done during the run

Now, if I wasn't using tools to measure and compare what I'm doing vs other people and if I was completely unaware of my contribution to that activity verses other players, I'd probably bore of that much faster.

Now some will probably say, i play x so that all doesn't really matter the same. I disagree, I love beating the necros on the parse while I'm solo healing on my defiler. Now if I just hit heal buttons, I'd get pretty bored fairly fast, but maxing what else I can do while healing makes it more entertaining.

But I could understand a player uninsterested in playing their class the best it can be played may not find slaughtering mobs very interesting. If lore is your thing, more power to you, but I'd question why you would choose FG vs a live server with mercs and everything else that caters to that specific goal.
    Draknox likes this.
  16. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Some folks have brought up a valid point. I feel we've been conditioned to view grouping up and killing monsters in a dungeon for a few hours as "grinding." The fact is, that's not grinding, that's "playing the game." If you don't enjoy that, then this isn't the game you're looking for at the moment.
    Draknox and jessejames like this.
  17. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

It can take a long time to find a group, and in the meantime there's very little I can do to gain xp. Many nights I can log in for 2 hours and log out without getting a group or any xp. If soloing is going be impractical, then getting a group needs to be easy. At least if DB is interested in a sustained TLE server... if this is just a market place cash grab, then I guess it doesn't really matter what they do.
  18. jessejames Active Member

whats your definition of "long time"? and what level/class?
  19. Zenji Well-Known Member

I just want to address 2 things here.

First of all if you are sitting there for 2 hours and can not find a group. I would reevaluate what guild you are in. It is normally a good idea of being guilded with like minded players and players of similar play times.

Secondly, If you quite often have 2 hours of down time a night. You can use that said time to farm collections or harvest and make a decent profit to afford those "cash grab" items for plat and not have to spend a dime of your real money.
  20. jessejames Active Member

thats exactly what I do when I'm LFG. but I was only LFG for more than 30 minutes once, at lvl 47