I'm having a REALLY hard time leveling on FG

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by cynosis, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

The travel limitations are more keenly felt, I think, for the people splitting their time between TLE and live servers. After not playing on a live server for over a year, logging on to one I basically faceplanted myself into a wall almost immediately, the movement speed felt ludicrous after being on only TLE for that long.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I think people don't realize about loading up on quests for a given area somehow. Not only is there a quest hub in most areas, but there are Book Quests and the occasional quest from people in your hometown for various zones, too. I check the wiki's Timelines page and look for the zone where I'll be hunting, then I make sure to pick up all those quests.

The advantage here is that you're gonna be in that zone anyway, oftentimes multiple quests get updated by killing the same mobs, and instead of just slaughtering stuff, you get the extra XP from turning in the quests. Quests don't have to be a linear "run all over Norrath" thing.

If slow travel is your issue, did you get the puntomatic mount? If not, are you willing to spend a little real-world money to buy a fast mount from the Marketplace? That makes travel a bit faster IMHO.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

I do load up on quests and I do have the mount. It still takes a long time to get across Antonica and Thundering Steppes and neither of those have serious quest hubs. Those don't really start in the 'orginal' zones until you hit EL/Zek
    I mostly managed with Antonica, but Thundering Steppes is killing me (not literally).
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  4. Zenji Well-Known Member

Why are you questing in TS? Get in a group and run some dungeons. I am guessing you are around level 25ish. You have so many dungeons you can do. Even Green/blue mobs in lower level dungeon grinding is still 100x better XP than solo questing.

Or get a trio going and farm Giants in TS and look for Stilleto. You have options, questing in vanilla was not the way to level, quit trying to force it.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Aaaand back to my comment about grinding. I was giving Fallen Gate a whirl to get AWAY from the grind live has become. I get bored with randomly slaughtering mobs for xp usually around 45 minutes.. sometimes 15 min is all I can manage before I'm bored out of my mind.. other times I might manage as long as 90 minutes. It's especially the case given the 'power breaks' needed between pulls if any serious healing happened.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  6. Zenji Well-Known Member

Sounds like this server is not a good fit for what you are wanting.
    Dude likes this.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

It's certainly not a place to get a break from grinding, that's for sure ;)
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Thundering Steppes has FIVE QUEST HUBS. I haven't been out there yet on FG, but you *may* need to do a little quest to get access to the griffon towers (speak to one of the griffon tower trainers). The Thundering Steppes Timeline *also* lists which book quests happen here, assorted other quests you can get, etc.

Pick up the quests near the gate to Antonica, then the ones at the docks, then the ones from Thundermist Village. Slaughter as directed. When you get to Bridge Keep and Cold Wind Cove, grab those quests. Sundered Splitpaw, which I think we got today, fits nicely after.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

Griffon towers are not available on fallen gate. That's why getting around the zone is so tedious.
    I've gotten the quests from the docks as well as the quest to unlock the gates at all hours.
    I didn't say there weren't quests in the zone.. just that I spend more time going to (and from) wherever than I do performing tasks.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't quest in TS or Nek, Zek isn't too bad
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

Yeah.. I just have to get closer to 30 before I can be successful in Zek/EL
  12. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Actually that was long after EoF came out, very long after. I didn't play any mmo games until around 2008, not this one or any other. This game's history is that the "vanilla" you refer to only lasted a year. Despite all the tumult in gaming, I'm really appreciative that EQ2 has managed to keep up the pace of coming out with an expansion roughly every year (and often a quest pack at around the 6 month mark).

I think the term vanilla came from WoW, and it used to refer to the pre-Cataclysm game. However, although I know about WoW, I don't like playing it, so I'm no expert. The terminology gets spread around to other games though.

I'm not sure there ever was a "vanilla" unless maybe EQ1, another enjoyable game, even after all these years.

However, I think my dissatisfaction is coming from the realization that what I really wanted to do was re-experience the quests that charmed me the first time, and find the quests I skipped in the rush to "max level" so I could "help my friends." I'm one of those people who reads the old paper and pen EQ game so I can think about the lore. This game makes a lot of sense if you do that.. I'm happy to help others out, but I was looking forward to some questing and talking to some people who were ignored the first time(s) in the rush of leveling.

On the live servers this issue is not fixed because over there I outlevel things so fast it feels like wasting time. But really, it's all a waste of time, in a good way... it's a game.

One of the nicest things about replaying the old dungeons though? You have to try and remember a time when you had to body pull! LOL Haven't done that in years with all the "speed runs" and smashing mobs and only stopping to do a strat for a named. I'm delighted to find that I have forgotten how to do that. :oops:

Actually TS is definitely more on the heroic/grouping side, even overland. And I didn't see anyone forcing anything.

Yeah I don't think anyone wants quest-xp to be better than grouping. For those who want to quest though, it is currently not a pleasant task. I think probably what happened was they overestimated the speed of a quest completion, so they (designers) may have thought, "I'm giving them 80% o the xp of a dungeon for the same amount of time" - which is fair of course. But few of us have done these quests in years (if ever) so we also have the "figure it out" time added. If we had a second and third run-through, then it might be faster and seem more fair to us. But I think we're rusty on where the quest objectives are, so the blue target areas missing is hurting more than they expected.
  13. jessejames Active Member

so you trade in grinding in groups on live to grinding solo content on TLE? what about the TLE interest you? All the same solo content is on there
  14. Zenji Well-Known Member

So you are a wanting a EOF type experience in the "Vanilla" part of EQ2. Not going to happen, not even close. Vanilla in EQ2 just like in WoW, refers to the base game before any expansions. Which is the content the Fallen Gate server has access to right now.
  15. Zenji Well-Known Member

Actually Mermut, was trying to quest in TS and complaining about it. I told them not to and they should group. I never said TS was a good quest zone. Mermut is forcing it, because they are being advised to group and they don't want to. They want to quest.

Idk how many times this has to be said, Fallen Gate has the Vanilla content accessible to it (+ DLW and FF). In Vanilla, you did not quest to level.. Quest were a supplemental means of xp and gear, as well as a path to Lore. So when you are playing on FG right now and wanting it to perform like the game did in later Xpacs you are the one that is mistaken.
  16. Atan Well-Known Member

Yeah, FG and RoV provide some rapid leveling to get there.

Just also take the time to do giants for giant language, pick up stilleto's orders for manastone, get both the PGT and the Manastone as you work thru RoV, not hard to talk a group into a quick CoD clear for the other updates while your visiting RoV.

Then you hit zek and el quest hubs that are a bit better designed with 2 worthwhile heritages done.
  17. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Vanilla is just a generic term to describe a game with no expansions. If you came to the game in 2008-ish, that would put you around RoK or even TSO. You've probably got about a year or so before the game reaches a state similar to where you came in. Stormhold is in a place closer to where you came in, but it's dead so I couldn't recommend rolling there.

Right now quest exp could best be described at supplementary xp to kill-grinding. It guides you to an area where you'll find stuff to kill, or it gives you a bit extra for killing the stuff you're already killing. The only significant questing in vanilla is when the quest is categorized as Heritage, Hallmark, or Access, and the access quests are largely moot now for most places.
    Semperfifofum and Draknox like this.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a LACK of grinding, not even more grinding... it's the grind that is burning me out. Killing mobs for no other purpose besides xp is the epitome of grinding, in it's highest (or lowest depending on your point of view) form. When there are other goals and rewards breaking it up, I can deal with it better, or at least for longer. But when it is just mindless killing... well, I've never been good and prolonged times at mindless tasks.

I'd hoped Fallen Gate would be a relaxing and enjoyable way to play the game at a slower pace will still seeing progress and improvement. A bunch of us came over and made a guild and played together, chatting, questing, dungeong, crafting... but once we hit high teens and 20s... the grind set in and interest diminished. To be honest, I expected a Stormhold xp curve.. not one that was noticibly WORSE then that.

Note: It's not grouping I dislike.. I group on live and I've group with guildies periodically on Fallen Gate. There is a significant difference though.. on live there are nugets and rewards... on Fallen Gate it is just a mindless xp slog.
  19. Kindread Active Member

Just wanted to add to this a bit ...

In group content, often times mass killing green blue mobs in a dungeon can be far superior exp than killing yellow/orange mobs because of the sheer number you can AoE down.

A prime example of this is RoV. By the time most people go to RoV the trash mobs in the caves before the real dungeon (the west side on the map) are blue/green. Grab yourself a good SK and a few classes with blue AoEs and chain pull groups of 10+ mobs. If you do the route correctly you will never run out of mobs to kill. This area generally avoided because there are fewer named mobs and the lower con, solo mobs.
    Semperfifofum and Dude like this.
  20. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I'm not mistaken that content that was there is now missing am I? or did the Baubleshire suddenly become a place you can start out again? This version is a new version.

And if someone is being told what to do, then they aren't the ones forcing things. It's a fantasy MMO, supposedly an open world you can explore. Developers spent years writing that content in quests, the text, voicing the characters, coming up with tricky hidden items to find... to ignore all that and just hack and slash, is not my idea of fun. Though it's fine with me if it is your idea of fun.

You seem a little aggressive about this. Why would you have such depth of feeling about it? Why is it so important to make people group who do not want to group as often as you do (so far I haven't seen anyone say they refuse to group at all)? Maybe it just isn't everyone's focus. What's wrong with that exactly?

If we're going to re-experience the content then

1. Why is it different content?
    2. Why are people who want to experience the quests being told not do that?

I don't know and can't argue with you about what "vanilla" was like. I wasn't there, as I've already said. But the content is already changed. If the current changed/unchanged mixture suits you, then great. It doesn't suit everyone though. And I'm afraid you'll have to accept that not everyone sees this game like you do, or has fun in the same way.

The helpful content of what you said was basically (paraphrasing) "Wait until later, the xp grind will be relieved when more expacs come out. "' I'm actually glad to hear that, and it makes me feel less frustrated.