Summer festival - miss a week?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by santargria, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Chocoholic Active Member

Hmmm, my understanding is that when week 2 quest starts (tomorrow Aug. 8) then the first week's quest will no longer be available.

We will, however, be able to claim rewards from Yun Zi indefinitely.
    Dude and Shmogre like this.
  2. Alenna Well-Known Member

that's how I understand it since he was answering a post about characters that weren't 100 yet.
    Shmogre likes this.
  3. Ludilly Member

If that's true, that if you miss a week you can't complete the series to get the maximum rewards, that is really a poor design choice from the Devs. It's the SUMMER (you know, when people take vacations and may be gone for a week or more). I can understand if you want to gate people in terms of how quickly they can get all the goodies, but to prevent someone who misses a week from doing an older week's quest to "catch up" during the event is insane. So because management is looking at some metric about how many accounts log in every week for an "active" player count, you are going to do customer unfriendly mechanics for an event designed to help your player base catch-up??? Seriously? I really hope you are all wrong and tomorrow the panda let's you run both the first week's quest if you missed it (only once), and/or the second week's quest that has just been released if you finished the first. It would restore my faith that someone with a customer mindset and good business sense was making these decisions.
  4. Juraiya Well-Known Member

The problem is that it can be abused. I know of at least one person who is subscribing because of these quests and the rewards. They are going to need to subscribe for two months to be able to do them all, and that's to Daybreak's benefit. If they could catch up on all of them in the last week, then no one would sub until the very last week and then do them all.

No, I can't see DBG allowing that. Of course I'm sure we'll hear about it once Tuesday's new quest starts, and we'll know for certain one way or another with people who haven't done the first week's quest yet, for whatever reason.
    santargria, Spindle and Shmogre like this.
  5. Shmogre Well-Known Member

This is a standard approach to getting people to play during traditional slumps; in this case, it's a very clever way to get people ready for the new expansion while still keeping it feeling like a part of Norrath. There is a history of time-limited events in the game (spire building, holiday events, double XP/rewards, and so on)...it's nothing new.

I understand the frustration and concern about missing a week, but that is what events like this are for. If you miss a sale on carrots at the grocery store, you don't (or at least shouldn't) demand that the store provide the carrots at that price forever because you weren't able to make to the store that week. Same reasoning applies here...if the reward is worth it to you, then it's worth making the effort to log in once during a seven-day period.

The devs have gone a long way towards addressing the imbalance that came with Kunark Ascending, and have given a way to allow alts to catch up. To claim that they don't have a customer mindset because they are asking people to log in ONCE A WEEK to get some good rewards is not giving them credit. This is one of the more customer-friendly events they have done in a long time: It is fun, straightforward, consistent with the feel of EQ2, fairly easy, and gives useful rewards that go a long way towards allowing our neglected alts to become playable again. Short of simply handing us the items, it couldn't be easier...the trade-off is logging in one time in seven days to provide all toons your account access to the items.

(And thus endeth the rant...I think I should have put more sugar on my OgreWheaties or had another cup of OgreBrew this morning to counter-act the grumpies. :) )
    Cyrrena, santargria, Lucus and 5 others like this.
  6. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Hey folks, sorry for the confusion here!
    If a new quest opens up before you've completed Yun Zi's previous quests, you won't miss out on anything! You'll just have to complete whatever quests you missed before you can tackle the new one.
    The article has also been updated to make this information more clear - hope that helps!
    Azari.Lite, Sambril, Luciar and 13 others like this.
  7. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

GrunEQ said:
    “I am hoping you can do the quests with different toons on your account and it will still credit the whole account accumulatively.”

The_Real_Wurm said:
    "No it doesn't work like that, however you can do the next week's quest on a different toon if you'd like and it still counts for the toon that did the first week's quest."

Yeah, what I meant was each week a different toon can complete the quest, and whole account still gets credit.
    Prissetta likes this.
  8. Conifur Well-Known Member

So, a player can wait until week 9 and then do all 9 quest, they just will have to do them in order?
  9. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly for the clarification, Roxxlyy! :D
    Katz and Prissetta like this.
  10. Carynn Well-Known Member

The article specifically says "be sure to stay on top of helping him out if you want to snag all the possible rewards before summer ends." Meaning, if you miss a week, you do not get all the rewards.
  11. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

if devs posting contrary both on this thread and discord is not enough evidence, this is from that same article you mention. "Yun Zi’s second quest will become available Tuesday, August 8th at 12:01AM PT, but you'll have to complete his prior quests before you can start any new ones!"

Everyone relax :) They've said the panda is there to stay, and that folks would simply have to make up the prior quests before they can be offered the most recent one. The only thing i am unsure of is, after 9 weeks, if he will still offer the quests. But i've been doing them as they come out. Just trying to help others see that they don't have to panic if they show up late or have a crazy schedule and miss one.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

look up four posts
  13. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Looks like they are making it possible to catch up on earlier quests (from our Community Relations red name, above):

(I agree that the article is still a bit unclear, since "stay on top of helping him" makes it feel like you have to keep up with the quests; from what Roxxlyy is saying, though, it sounds you could miss a week and do both quests the next week. As Conifur said, that does make it sound like people could skip the first eight weeks and then do all nine quests in that last week.)
  14. Chocoholic Active Member

I'm feeling llike they may have back-pedaled a bit (and I'm glad they did) - seems like when this first hit the impression given was definitely that you had to do each week at a time. (I thought that was one way to keep people subbed from now through the beginning of October lol.) But it doesn't really matter, it may just be a misunderstanding at the beginning - I will be doing them week by week (it only takes a matter of minutes) just to be safe. But I'm very glad that for others who may not be able to log on each week, they will still be able to complete the questline.
    Juraiya and Shmogre like this.
  15. Azari.Lite New Member

Thank you so much for the clarification. I am so relieved to know that my friend will be able to make up that weeks quest. You Devs are great. While I realize that some players may try to abuse the quest in one way or the other. But I believe your kindness and thoughtfulness in the way you put this wonderful quest line together will show your faith in us as players. I have seen several players in our guild become pay to play for at least 3 months because of this wonderful quest line.

The quest line was brilliant with wonderful rewards for the Pay to Play players. Many of us in my guild are so looking forward to re-decorating the Village of Shin it is such a wonderful place. Not to mention the Level 100 gear that is almost too good to be true. One must wonder if this is our last hurrah! Or is there something even more spectacular on the horizon that will just knock our socks off...

I am voting for this kind of quest line to continue to pop up once in a while with wonderful things for us to earn I for one am loving it. Love and Light, Azari.Lite
    Roxxlyy and Juraiya like this.