Isle Of Refuge is DEAD

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wormy, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Why do they hate F2P players? Do you mean the players on IOR or DBG? Don't you have to be a subscriber to play on a specialty server? Just wondering as I hadn't been aware of a hatred of F2P in connection with IOR.
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

Millenial logic. If you choose to play on a sub only server, you must therefore hate free players. :rolleyes:
    Alenna, Kittybock and Prissetta like this.
  3. Jrox Well-Known Member

Something I saw in this thread...
    As for...
    What a bouquet of roses you are lol.
  4. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

My favorite server is IoR. Losing most heirloom tags have made it much easier to keep my bags and bank free of all the crap - instead, I can mail an item to an alt or friend, or yes, even put it up on the broker for someone else to use.
    As for hating on F2P, no way. I'm a guild leader on HoF and we have F2P members in our guild - they are very welcome.
  5. Jrox Well-Known Member

Yeah, F2P players are just as important to the health of the game as any player in the community in my opinion. But that's why It's called community and the servers are public. Not private.

To ignore someone for being disruptive by trolling or just stirring the pot for the hell of it if you will is all good. But not to grp with anyone outside your guild because you deem them unworthy for not having joined "your" guild, in my opinion, goes against the very fabric of what an MMO is supposed to be. I know people, good people on IoR and not all of them share the "That's your problem" attitude just because they didn't choose your guild over another's. So while IoR had a great idea, it is not a surprise to see it fail to FG as so many other servers have lost population to FG. Just for some different and some of the same reasons I think. Most probably left for FG because of all the issues on live, while some left for new found glory in content they enjoyed previously and are looking for that nostalgia again. The problem with nostalgia is it's like an ex-girlfriend or boyfriend, sometimes you remember them for the best times until you're back together with them and remember why it was time to move on.
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. Tekka Well-Known Member

There have been one or two, very vocal, posters that have stated the main benefit of IoR is to keep out the 'riff-raff' of non-subscribed players. As if their dutiful 15$ (or less if they got it on sale) per month makes them superior to someone who plays entirely free, does not subscribe but spends considerably more than 15$ per month in the cash shop on assorted items, or subscribers who also have free alternate accounts.

At various points there have been a lot of snide comments, implications and outright name calling from these folks.

And it has nothing to do with 'millenial logic'.
    Castegyre and Jrox like this.
  7. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Ehhhhhhhnk--wrong answer ;) I did not state I wanted to transfer. It was food for thought, for those that are requesting said option.
  8. Kittybock Well-Known Member

^^ THIS
  9. Castegyre Well-Known Member

This game and probably a few others that were in the SOE stable at the time would have almost certainly been shut down years ago without the free to play change. It seems a silly thing to be elitist about when it's probably the thing that allows one to have a platform to be elitist from. Taking that into account, however, is it ok to look down upon anyone who went to IoR to avoid the f2p 'riff-raff' then?

;)
  10. Jrox Well-Known Member

I might be at fault for this part of the conversation. I want to make sure I point something out. Not ALL people who play on IoR subscribe to this type of attitude. My comments are meant for those who are of that mindset only.
  11. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Do you even have a toon on IoR?

Folks on IoR group and help folks not in their guilds, however, when grouping we ask in-guild first. It is one of the reasons to be part of an active guild.
  12. Castegyre Well-Known Member

It's a good thing to point out. #notall
    Jrox likes this.
  13. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

I doubt anyone on ior hates f2p players. Many people have multiple accounts, I suspect few of those keep every single account gold at all times. Speaking for myself, I don't care for the trolling, toxic chat environment and bullying/elitism that often plagues f2p servers. When people have no fear of being banned because they have no money invested in their account, and can roll a new one anytime, u tend to get a few troublemakers that ruin it for everyone. Toxic behavior often spreads. If you see people acting like jerks in chat all the time, u may find yourself feeling more cranky, salty, or irritable. Kinda like these forums. If most the posters are negative most of the time, u may find yourself with a more negative outlook. Basically, the vocal minority ruin it for the majority, by trolling all the time.
    Raff, Prissetta and Kittybock like this.
  14. Finora Well-Known Member

You are forgetting, F2P can't use public world chat channels (unless they are grandfathered in Silver accounts, which can no longer be gotten). So all that toxicity in general chat you might see, that's from subscribers or long time players.
    Prissetta, Tekka and Mizgamer62 like this.
  15. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Good point!
  16. Ummmyeh Active Member

I am lol'ing at the people debating "if" they allow transfers off of IoR. It has already been stated that will in fact be the case by Kander on discord. No definitive timetable set but good news to some who may want to transfer off. The caveat being that there will be a 30 day waiting period if a toon transfers to IoR to avoid the real "riff-raff" exploiting the system. Enjoy the new riff-raff coming to a server near you... soon :) maybe I just overlooked someone elses post regarding this but this was said weeks ago. Good day and see you soon!
  17. Uxtalzon Active Member

Good to hear and I'm glad my doubts were wrong.

Just wish they'd put a a smidgen of effort in posting it on the forums, though.
  18. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

I'm not forgetting anything. I've played every server except deathtoll,naggy. I never said subscribers never troll. It's not much harder to earn a krono via gameplay than it is to have made a 1 time purchase of $5 in the past and get flagged as silver. My theory is that trolls love a big audience,big reactions. See, trolls are miserable, horrible people, devoid of personality,sense of humor,warmth, or love. Right down to their poor, corrupted little souls. Their only joy is making others feel the pain they feel, pulling them down to their level. IoR is low pop, and when trolls move in and try (ayisha,anybody?)...they get ignored and lose interest. Hey, I am no angel, but I try to help people when I can. I'd love to see the server grow, while maintaining the kind, laid back, help each other, and take no trolls attitude. Come check us out. Don't like it? Transfers coming soon™. Keep in mind fg has most of the traffic atm. If u want a better feel for it, hang around at least til the end of the year. If you have patience, are laid back, and want a nice change of pace, I think you will like it here. ;)
    Raff and Prissetta like this.
  19. Finora Well-Known Member

If you look back at your post that I quoted, you'll see you very much implied that the F2P servers chat was a mess because there was no consequence for bad behavior, they could just roll up another free account. I was merely replying to that false notion. Actual F2P people have no access to the chat channels (except newbie I think, guild and say) so they can't possibly be a cause for chat chaos and trolling.

While I do have a character on IoR (I am everywhere lol), if I wanted to play on a nice quiet server, I already have Test for that and my characters are much more established there. ;) Besides, as far as general chat goes, my main server (halls of fate) usually isn't too bad at all. A lot of nice helpful people, even in general chat. Even the chat kerfuffle instigators give good information to people at least some of the time.
  20. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

Ah, when I said "you" , I meant people as a whole. Everybody. The topic is someone thinks the Isle of Refuge is dead, I disagree, it's low pop but peaceful. I had to duo the tinkerfest pq on test over 2+ hours, whereas it was run frequently on IoR with 5-20+ people and typically in 10-30 mins. It's slow because it's summer and fg is the new trendy server. I was extending an invite to everyone. This isn't personal. But I will happily defend my main server til the day I die.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.