It may be the end for me in EQ2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Jealyn, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Raff Well-Known Member

I don't see your point. A company going down the tubes ( as some here seem to think) doesn't advertise for open positions. EQ1 & 2 are but two of several game holdings for the company. The fact that they have yearly updates and expansions for both of those holdings defies the logic (or lack thereof) in these forums.

While you or I may not agree with some of the positions held by current management...its not like that is anything new. EQ1/EQ2 hate has a long and sordid history in these forums and other outside forums dedicated to the idea that because you push keys on keyboards and move mice you are therefore experts in all things game related and should be paid attention to as if you were an SOE / DBC Dev.
    Evguenil62 likes this.
  2. Tekka Well-Known Member

Holy necro thread, batman!

And everything I said still holds - both quality and quantity of content continues to trend downward.

Less players still equals less profit. Judging by several posts, there will be another big drop around September when the yearly subscriptions are up.

I love Norrath, and have since 2000, but pragmatism says it can only circle the drain so many times before it falls in.

Game on. Peace~!
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Dolgrin Active Member

The job-description gives a clear insight in the codebase of EQII.
    This shows me that EQII-Development is in a treadmill. They fix and support so many (guessing between 70-90% of their time). And there are so many side effects, that one fix causing endless new bugs.
    I have worked as Software Architekt on such projects for over 8 years.
    And there is only one way out: Have a plan, clear the code and discipline, discipline and more even more discipline.

Some of the other jobs are showhing DGB is going to be a serious software development company
    (eg. Implementing JIRA and the Agile Skills reqs).

My 2 cents
    Dolgrin
    Prissetta and Jrox like this.
  4. Jrox Well-Known Member

EQ2 is only one of a number of games @ DBG. They are looking to replace RadarX. It is a total patch the hole with some rubber cement for EQ2 devs. I think the previous code is so old and out of whack (not to mention was poorly managed and maintained) with the rest of today's current games that there really is no other way to go about it. And how do you continue to develop in such mayhem? I applaud their courage to take on the challenge and the ability to ignore us sometimes (myself a big part of the complaining sometimes). I wish it could be rewritten and done right, another reason I was looking forward to EQ3 (EQNext) that never happened. The only thing I never cared for in the EQNext concept was the child's anime theme. I really had high hopes when I attended the last SOE Live event in Vegas only to see it all fall apart inside of a year from then. Honestly could have given two ***** about the whole voxel thing too lol.

Just sayin...
    Dolgrin likes this.
  5. Dolgrin Active Member

In this context we may have to reevalute Kanders "If you don't like.."

It seems more an answer of a overworked, frusted developer.
    Every feature they bring out, we destroy developers joy with our harsh critic.

Also reevalute Caith "We changed spell damage but we give you no list".
    Maybe they made the game better for us, but are not able too give a list, because of source code.

Maybe a "Good job" and "Good idea" will bring them back to us.
    Sure some things do not work as intended, but with the blocking stance on customer and developer side there will be no good end.
    Maybe we have to live with a feature not work at start because of current source code.
    The new Sr. Devoloper will be our hope of a brighter future.
    Jrox and Mathafern like this.
  6. Mathafern Well-Known Member

I know I'd rather see more constructive threads and fewer "I'm outta here threads"- for many reasons. Maybe that would encourage less discord and more communication.
    ConcealFate and Jrox like this.
  7. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Or hiring an actual community manager that actually listens to the community and provides the developers with actual player feed back, instead of what Radarx have been doing the last 8 years and just banning people left and right. Now that he is gone, maybe it could happen.

Just an idea.
  8. Jrox Well-Known Member

Or they could get more distant to focus more on their own goals for the game to get it all worked out on a schedule they have already affixed. Noone here knows is my point. But I do agree, and I am guilty at times, a little more positivity couldn't hurt anything or anyone.

Just sayin...
  9. Cataclysm Active Member

I have been trying and that was my point. I've been playing this game since day 1, have been a raid tank and raid leader more than once.
    You CANNOT move from advanced solo gear into Heroic Tier the way you've been able to do with other xpac and it has screwed up a lot of guilds in the process.

Telling me all I need to do is have a tank and healer (or two) and "try" is extremely arrogant.
    Prissetta and Mizgamer62 like this.
  10. Melt Actually plays the game

Less discord, more communication. What even...
  11. Melt Actually plays the game

He is correct. Especially now. You can get an easy 15k potency without setting foot in a heroic dungeon. I started heroics at 10k, which is where I left off from last xpac.
  12. Rainmare Well-Known Member

it's how I did it. it's how my friends did it. it's how the guy that hasn't played since march of last year did it. it's how my friend that barely does anything outside of craft did it. maybe your just not as good as you thought you were, or maybe the zones you were trying weren't the actual 'tier one' of heroics.
    Dude likes this.
  13. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

I do not know what to tell you, because that's exactly what we did.