/sarcasm off Thank you for the new Ethereal coin grind

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Gharyn, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Gilasil Active Member

If it's a fact I'd sure like to see the source of that data. Declaring it's a fact don't make it so.

If you're relying on those numbers from Steam -- I can't put much weight in them unless you really think the peak number of people playing EQ2 over the last 30 days was really 317. Even I think more people are playing EQ2. Virtually none of the people playing EQ2 do so through Steam.

I've gotten very disgruntled with DBK recently starting with their dusting off of the Battlegrounds coupled with providing rewards so overpowered as to pretty much require people to grind there to be competitive. There's a huge world out there and lots of really fantastic games. I haven't decided whether to stick with EQ2 but if I do it'll be because they entice me with fun stuff and not that they bash me with miserable grinds just to stay competitive.
    Jrox and Livejazz like this.
  2. KythosMeltdown Active Member

sample sizes
  3. Gilasil Active Member

If it were a representative sample, which I doubt.
  4. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I am using Census server data for monitoring and reporting.
  5. Jrox Well-Known Member

interesting... and your source?

I would be curious to look at that, mind sharing?
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

Jrox and Shmogre like this.
  7. Jrox Well-Known Member

Not a very big file at all. I looked through and can see how many characters have been made. But how exactly do I determine how many are online at any given time? Do those numbers change depending on the time of day I refer to them? To me, it appears as a list of all time numbers and/or just simplified numbers of existing data. I don't know jack about *.xml docs and I wasn't trying to be rude, I am genuinely curious.

As in;
    /datatype><datatype name="character" count="3030426" hidden="false">

This has to be all-time, right?
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

The data does not show which characters are "online". You can see which characters have been updated recently.

Here's an updated version of the Census API Primer originally written by Dan Kinney:
    https://forums.eq2wire.com/threads/the-census-api-primer-v4.212544/ **

All told I spent over 100 hours writing EQ2 Census API documentation, which can be found here:

https://forums.eq2wire.com/threads/data-api-census-frequently-asked-questions.212542/
    https://forums.eq2wire.com/threads/query-strings-and-commands.212587/
    https://forums.eq2wire.com/forums/census-everquest-ii.268/

I also did a 1 hour livestream video:
    https://forums.eq2wire.com/threads/learn-about-eq2-data-sunday-october-4th-2015-1pm-pdt.212545/

and presented panels at the last 3 SOE Live events, 2 of which have YouTube videos available.

** Updated from the original Primer written by Dan Kinney.
    Shmogre and Jrox like this.
  9. Jrox Well-Known Member

I was at two of the events you presented at. I have just never been one to sit still that long when I am surrounded by blackjack tables and slot machines lol. But this is good info and I will go check it out.

Thanks.
    Feldon likes this.
  10. Gregore Active Member

You sound like a DEV trying to post incognito! There is not much to be cheerful about with this game these days. I'm just praying that Pantheon comes out ahead of schedule at this point, so I can get my MMO RPG fix. I'll limp along with this game for now, but will be gone without even thinking twice once Pantheon or something similar comes out, which is a shame considering all the time, effort, and money I have invested in this game playing since launch! I enjoy raiding this XPAC, and that's about it. The sheer amount of sucky grindage involved just to keep my raid toon alone geared up though, is almost unbearable. I have six alts that I love to play, but they're unplayable at this point, because they're so far behind. I use them to grind PG solo weeklies, but haven't been able to bring myself to do a PG in over two weeks due to sheer burnout. I have everything one can get from the PG's on my raid main, except for the familiar. May just say screw the familiar at this point.
  11. Jrox Well-Known Member

I have to say, o_O being that I am not a programmer and have no interest in being one lol, that's a lot to learn to check the daily account login count. I still don't know how to write a "get" line for this, I think that's what you called it, to check that info. Could you write that one link or one line of address for query here for me, maybe? Would be greatly appreciated, Feldon! :cool:
  12. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Pantheon is going to announce that it is launching "soon" right after you buy the next EQ2 expansion.
  13. Jrox Well-Known Member

I'm not even going to play Pantheon, but that would be poor planning on their part. If they are that close, as a marketing manager, I would push my team for a quicker release date. Or you risk losing potential customers for economic reasons. Makes no sense announcing the release right after a direct competitor has just raided the pantry, so to speak.

Now, Ashes of Creation... uh yea... that could be fun!

Just sayin...
  14. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Yeah that one looks good, but I heard it was PvP. If that's the case, I'm not interested.
  15. Jrox Well-Known Member

It is not the traditional PvP. You should check out the PvP game play info. The way it explains it makes it sound very fun. I am not big on PvP and I would not have to participate in that action if I chose not to. That's one of the things I love about it and feel it will attract a more diverse population of gamers.
    Ruckus likes this.
  16. Melt Actually plays the game

"/sarcasm off" *does nothing but spout sarcastically*
    Jrox likes this.