/sarcasm off Thank you for the new Ethereal coin grind

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Gharyn, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Neiloch Well-Known Member

It really does become a Stockholm syndrome.

I've been playing other MMO's. So funny to see people complaining about a 2 week turn around on balance passes and getting entirely new content 'only once every couple of months.' Complaining it 'takes too long' after the producer says something like 'we're making some QOL changes based off player feedback.'
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  2. Carni Active Member

Other than raiding, I've been playing some tactical rpg's. Much fun has been had, Disagae one has eaten about two weeks of my life so far.
  3. Livejazz Well-Known Member

That's exactly right, which is why I don't compare my play style to anyone else's. I have 5 level 100s, one of which has got to the point in the KA sig line where I need Greenmist, & I'm not going any further, because old grey content sucks, & as a casual soloing scrub, it's not like I need any better gear than I've already got. Which is exactly why .....

As for the thread itself, I think my last log-in was 2-3 days ago. I've been too busy DMing for my local D&D community this week, & getting ready for a mini-convention this weekend; I don't have time for EQ2, particularly when D&D is a lot more fun with a lot less grind, & I can actually *SEE* the people with whom I'm grouping.

This game may not be "dead" to the rest of the world, but AFAIC it's on the respirator.
    Tekka and CoLD MeTaL like this.
  4. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

The statistic you are quoting can be misleading. I know a large number of people who are still paying sub fees and not logging in, or logging in just for raid or check in. If I knew exactly how your activity stat is measured, I would find your argument more compelling.

In any case, it would be more helpful if people paying for subs and not actually playing would stop doing so.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

Like a lot of people I bought the yearly sub when it was cheap. I guess I need to look and see when that expires.
  6. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

If you were to stop paying to prove your point they would see a dramatic drop in revenue and just close shop instead of fixing 'the issues'. Its a stalemate. Either you enjoy it for what it is or you move on. Just dropped back in since being gone mid September and its the same people complaining about the same issues. Honestly I am sitting on Ashes Of Creation because this is a total lost cause.
    VGScastaway and Tekka like this.
  7. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Mid Sept.
    CoLD MeTaL and Feldon like this.
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

Been told by too many people that cancelling subs is the only way to get meaningful change. Strange but true.
    CoLD MeTaL, Tekka and Neiloch like this.
  9. KythosMeltdown Active Member

yeah, but the majority of players are going to stop playing, get excited for a new expansion, buy it, have fun for a bit, get mad, stop playing, get the eq bug again, get mad, repeat.

I've been doing that since KoS :/

Daybreak is just doing terrible as a company, EQ, LoTRO, DCUO, PS2, Even their piggy bank H1Z1 is getting ravaged by PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds. The only meaningful change that will come is a cancelled game. Not that im advocating for people to sub so the game doesn't die.
    Livejazz likes this.
  10. Daelini Active Member

Normally I would agree with this statement, at least as far as I am concerned. I have taken small breaks here and there (mostly because I travel extensively for work) and felt refreshed when I came back and ready to go again. I have to say though, with the absurd amount of artificial gates and grinds put in so that this sham of an expac would last longer than 2 months is too much. If what I hear is coming with the next one - have to get each level of a spell to upgrade I stead of looting a master and using it immediately or crafting all experts immediately - then I will probably just be done.

I no longer have the time to waste doing meaningless stuff just because the poor developers toss out an adventure pack, call it an expansion, and don't want people finishing it in 2 months. There are car better games (FF comes to mind) with gorgeous graphics, non-stop groups / raids via a dungeon finder, hot swappable classes to fill holes, and no pointless time gate grinds.

Just my 2 cents on the matter. As I said earlier...no longer in my early 20s. I have a career and a life with a pretty sexy lady (who also plays this). If I can't get up to raid viable quickly due to time gates and spell gates and other artificial blocks then I will just be done. There will be no reason for me to continue.
    Tekka and Livejazz like this.
  11. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Not soon enough. After it expires, I'll be using the 14 kronos that I got for dirt cheap plat long ago. Those should last me long enough until another great MMO comes along. The idea of shelling out another $40 for the next expansion for a game I'm ready to quit just annoys me. I'm only sticking around because there is a group of folks that I've known for awhile and I enjoy playing with them. We'll all reroll toons in another game one day and not look back on EQ2.
    VGScastaway, Tekka and Livejazz like this.
  12. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I do feel badly for the peeps sitting on yearlies, etc. The rubber will hit the road this fall when those things begin to expire.

What strikes me as odd is, you can't tell my DBG doesn't see what is likely to happen this fall. So, either they do see it and figure they can simply manipulate and gimmick us dipsticks around a porr product for at least another year, or, they simply don't care.

IDK, I suppose it's possible that the dev team is simply burned out on developing this game and ready to move on to something new, and DBG is just going to pull as much cash out of the player base as possible until the game is sunset. It's possible, I guess.

Either way, after the last couple of years, I'm not super excited about buying any more gaming products from this company in the future. Anything is possible, and maybe they will come out with something cool later, but I'm not holding out hope for it. nor am I planning on giving them any more money.
  13. Wizx13 Member

This is my chosen source of entertainment no mater how mediocre it ends up being :)
    Would I like to do more? Sure I would! Life wont let me though. The game is what it is for me, entertainment and disconnect from the grind we call life. I am certainly not going to grind in game like its a job lol.
  14. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

What you playing atm? Get at me if you get on steam
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

Almost entirely solo adventure games lol.
    CoLD MeTaL likes this.
  16. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I think that dying dinosaurs generally don't know they're dying until the last second. I also think that sometimes dinosaurs get so big that one end doesn't know what the other is doing, which is part of why they don't know they're dying & keep flailing about.

I think they see what's coming, & they do care, but I'm not convinced they really know what to do, & I think they're a bit gun-shy (understandably so) about doing something that might entirely backfire. I think they may well see it as "damned if we do, damned if we don't, so let's just do until Columbus Nova pulls the money plug." I think that attitude will cause the plug to be pulled sooner than later, but there you go.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm playing a lot more D&D lately, & enjoying my life a lot more as a result.
    Tekka likes this.
  17. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

You're prob right. My comments were directed more to nanagement, not the dev team. Only so much a 4 person dev team can do.

I've been playing around with ESO. Combat system takes some getting used to, but outside of that, it's really fun. Tons of peeps running around, nice community, and really good story telling.
  18. Flamace Active Member

So I just heard the mission timer for ethereal coins is different from the missions themselves? Its hard enough to find people to run them. To be told they have different timers? ****.... Why?
  19. Ghah Member

Sure is, looks like it resets at 12:01 am PST. Yay! hope this is a bug.
  20. Naneeje Well-Known Member

I have played since launch.

My favorite time was the Drunder release. All zones popular because one item dropped from each zone that people needed. When you didn't run it, you said, "rolling for mage" if you did the zone. There was no grind really. Once you geared up your main, the zones were easier to do and you starting running them with alts. You geared up your alts, because it can be boring playing the same character every day for 15 years.

I am not an avid player anymore. However, I am your problem. I am the reason their business model is successful. I work two jobs and have an extra $2,500 a month to spend on anything I want. So I spend cash on daybreak because it's easy. I like that because I can't grind.
    The way it should be:
    Run it until you loot it.
    Run it until your guildmates loot it.
    Run it again to SLR.
    Run it because the shiny reward is worth it.
    Run it with alts.

It's not that way. Nobody runs the zones because nobody needs anything from them, even for their alts. Raids did well when the feet and forearms were one zone. Legs and shoulders another. Head and chest from the hardest.

Look at Drunder and remember how many people played the game. Yes it's nostalgia and we will never get to that point again, but... I wonder just how well Fallen Gate server will do when the Drunder expansion is released?
    The real problem is even if you spend cash, your not a winner in game.