Too Little Carrot, Far Too Much Grind

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Doomravin, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Doomravin Well-Known Member

Anyone else feeling like we've been expected (forced) to do far too much grinding for far too little reward this expac?

The combination of summer, fallen grind and proving grind, on top of all the previous B-O-R-I-N-G and P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S grinds is starting to kill the social side of the guild I'm in - some of us still log in but personally I'm preferring to play fallout 4 instead of non-raidy stuff.

Why? Because I'm simply ground out and bored with it! I'm sure this is supposed to be a game and not a job...

Here's hoping ethereals are really fun and enthusing!
    Froglok, Livejazz, CoLD MeTaL and 7 others like this.
  2. Earar Well-Known Member

people can't take the grind anymore

people fled on FG just for that
    Jrox and Xephane like this.
  3. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Yep too much grind, too little fun.
  4. semisus Does not play this game

Dont worry , on tueday we have the ethereal grind coming!
  5. KythosMeltdown Active Member

hey now, we dont know that for sure yet :p
    Livejazz and Mizgamer62 like this.
  6. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Only to meet with more grinding.....that is unless you are willing to spend $$$. :eek::p:D
    Conifur likes this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The problem there is not "expectations". It's "grinding". IMNSHO, you level faster via questing than via mind-numbing, repetitious grinding.

If you hate the grinding, DO SOMETHING ELSE. There are TONS of things to do in Norrath. If all you want is the most uber lewts, what the heck will you play for once you have the uber lewts? It's the struggle to get whatever it is that keeps you playing.

And there's so much more than a +50 Vorpal Sword of Awesomeness to play for! You don't like grinding? Try questing. Crafting. Interior decorating. Exploration. Try to get every single collection. Try to get all the Achievements. Join a raiding guild. Etc.
    Moonpanther, Prissetta and santargria like this.
  8. Xephane Active Member

Although I agree with your point, the thing is that people want the uber lewts, but that there is FAR too much unnecessary work behind it. For example - Proven Battlecat. This is a BiS familiar, but it isn't anywhere near worth the trouble cost that it is put up for. 2500 PG coins is about 200 times where you have to do the same thing, over, and over, and over. People just don't want to do it anymore. I get the whole "Do something else" concept, but you also have to consider that the KA gear made everything that ISN'T KA content far too easy. People can always roll alts, but everyone wants their main to be as strong as possible first, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The OP is right, it is far too much work for such a small carrot, and it is honestly not worth it. Most would agree.
  9. knine Well-Known Member

everyone wants their main to be strongest, I agree. BIS slot gear should've never been placed in Proven Grounds or off the TLE server. Should have chance to drop from chests in heroics or experts, should have to use coins from doing the quests to get them... most people now have 10k plus coins with no use.
    Flatline, Livejazz, Svenone and 6 others like this.
  10. Dude Well-Known Member

There are a few problems with what you say.

"You level faster via questing than via mind-numbing, repetitious grinding." Once you reach full level, full AA, and all 4 ascension, there is no more leveling. It's all grinding all the time.

"Try questing." Great. Mentor down to whatever level to one shot mobs on old content. That's actually worse than grinding.

"Try to get every single collection." If the game gets to the point where that is really your viable option for fun, then perhaps it's time to move on.

"Join a raiding guild." In order to be in a good raiding guild, you will be expected to grind. Grind for tithe, grind zones, and grind PGs. That's all necessary to be a solid part of the raid team.
    Tekka, Livejazz, Jrox and 1 other person like this.
  11. Earar Well-Known Member

even expert zones

too few zones with descent loot. So u grind always the same ones, PG is the worst, if u want all the adorns, once done u just are sick of it. As said .. it's too much effort for the thing and it's solo play so not fun in MMOs .. at least doing expert is group stuff.

and yeah to raid u need to grind .. a lot lot lot ... and even then .. there's just so much u can do now with the tithe exp nerf. And so much u can take before u are sick of grinding.

there's too few choices. Also something I hate here, everyone is wearing almost the same stuff coz there's not enough BiS loots.
    there should be 2 or 3 BiS loots for each piece ... depending on your class, so there would be a bit of diversity
    Xephane likes this.
  12. Katz Well-Known Member

I agree it is a choice, you can chose not to do the grindy things. However, it does get discouraging after a while to see more and more and more and more things gated behind lots of tokens required and a huge time sink, often dependent on others doing the same thing at the same time. And it isn't just "fat lewt" or armor or weapons. Look at ToT PQ quests. Nice appearance armor and house items are on the merchants. However, they require lots of tokens and you are totally dependent on others wanting to do the things that get you the tokens.

So either you give up or burn out. I don't want to burn out so anything that is grindy, I either do at a very slow pace if I can (such as doing writs or repetitive quests to gain faction) or I don't do it at all and abandon that aspect of the game. I think many of us just don't want that to be the path that is most often chosen for content in the game. If we don't express our dislike of things we don't like then how will they know.
    Merriel, Tekka, Livejazz and 4 others like this.
  13. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

^^^ THIS ^^^
    Gillymann, Tekka, Livejazz and 3 others like this.
  14. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

I can't stand grinding, it irritates me to the bones. It's everywhere now and it kills the desire to play the game. I log in every day with plans on exploring, questing, crafting, decorating, grouping. And then I remember how much I still need to do: my PG runes are still only level 2, I still need 6 ascension levels, I still need 4 fragments to upgrade my epic 2.0 spells (not to mention ascension spells which are still apprentice mostly), I need a good familiar, I need plats to infuse and buy Krono, I need infusers and so on and so forth..you name it!

No, Sigrdrifa, there is nothing esle to do in Norrath as long as abnormal grind is here. That is why most people log in for raids and play something else the other time.

Games are pieces of art, or should be. We play them for the same reasons as we read books, watch movies, listen to the music-to experience something pleasant or new and to get emotional discharge through which one can achieve a state of spiritual renewal (it's called catharsis in the Theory of Literature). Very few of us want to see something dark, boring, unpleasant, dirty, repitative. People want to rest in games from reality (I underline it-to rest, not to escape from reality, take vacations right now for a few hours) . That is why sci-fi and cyberpunk mmos will always fail-too similar to our everyday life. And that is why grind is killing games-too similar to our everyday life again. We want to rest, not to work.
  15. KythosMeltdown Active Member

There are roughly 3-4 pieces per slot that are nearly BiS. Idk why theres a bajillion good rings though. each archetype wears different armor.

However, i do think theres too much garbage loot. Not everything has to be BiS, but the loot rolls are 1-400 potency or BiS with 1k.
    Lateana and Livejazz like this.
  16. Earar Well-Known Member

charm u have the tome and epic one

ears u got epic one, ascension ones

rings u get the PG one, after u have a few choices true, though it's expert LitG for tanks, mages have their epic one

necklace, only tanks really need one. and 9 res is too low and none is tanky even in expert mode

wrists are quite rare .. i got smothering and expert smothering bracelets ..

belt it's really swirling ... or the roost belt u want. none other. Cloak most have the craft one.

except for ears and fingers, there's not much choice.

even then, u should grind tithe (if not high enough .. like my tithe) to have better stats to be able to kill the last raid names, because the dps check is quite high

and levelling alts is a pain. usually that's what people do, when main toon is good, u concentrate on alts ... now even that is painfull. ascension, epic quest, requirements, grind, then PQs and so on ... it's so overwheliming that u just don't want to play with alts.
    Livejazz and Xephane like this.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

PG - Grind
    Epics - Grind
    Ascension - Grind
    Tithe - Grind
    Ascension spells - Grind or open wallet
    Ethereal runes - Grind
    Burnt Key - Dumb luck
    Epic Fragments - Grind

Honestly if anybody can say they think the past year of development for this game has been a positive thing, you need to open your eyes more. Everything has become a new gimmicky feature tied behind monotonous tasks that nobody wants to do. Heroic zones had no proverbial carrot to keep them entertaining and our 'mid expac' content is dead in the water already apart from another tedious solo grind.

Every patch introduces a new more annoying bug, and testing seems non existent. Anything deemed powerful is trivialised after enough people have taken advantage of it. Everything just seems rushed out the door with no real care or attention any more.

Anybody who knows me will know how much time I've put into this game over the years, and now I struggle to bother logging in for 9 hours a week.
  18. KythosMeltdown Active Member

each solo gives you 14 coins. each takes about 7-9min. Each orange rune level 4 cost 850 pg tokens. 850/14 is ~60 runs or 420-540min.

That's the way they see it, it costs you a little over 1 day of /played in proving grounds to get the maximal reward. Which wouldn't be so bad if there was more than 1 instance, and it wasn't on 1 90min cooldown. Theoretically that would make it take 10 days of doing PG without sleeping if you only had one character.

You actually want to grind that out? Too bad, you still have timegated ascension and until you wait and grind, you'll do 1/100th of the dps (literally) as someone with higher gear and tithe.

I hate the power curve more than anything else.
    Lateana and Livejazz like this.
  19. Siren Well-Known Member

I would imagine that such a small team is trying to stretch what little content they can muster out as long as humanly possible. They also are forced (at least on the live servers) to eck out money from cash shop purchases, as those servers have mostly grandfathered silvers and bronzes playing on them. Devs have got to eat, too.
  20. Revel Well-Known Member

I did. I'm enjoying actually grouping with random people and socializing with new folks. I've tried to keep up 1 alt on my main server but its just too much, with tithe, epic 2.0, familiars, PQs, etc.
    Livejazz and Earar like this.