Is it me, or...

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Northsidebill, May 16, 2017.

1. Northsidebill New Member

Im currently in the guild hall doing level 20 rush orders and failing at them about half the time. Im hitting all the abilities as they come up and I am crafting level 28.

Is it me or does this crafting system seem broken? Or does it just suck?
  2. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

It only sucks at low levels.
    What I do is do two abilities each round even if there is nothing to counter, I learn when the ones I have to counter come up (if they're coming) and if one comes up I counter it and do another, if none comes up I just do two. If you're fast enough they will become available again before you need them to counter the next round.
    If you are failing because the upper bar gets too short then use the left hand abilities, if you're running out of time do the right hand ones or stick to the non rush orders until you level up some more.
    If you're running out of power either take a break between combines to let it regenerate (make sure you have food and drink) or check which abilities use up power and avoid them when they aren't needed to counter.

I'm not sure the following is technically correct but I think it works as an explanation.
    Think of the bars as continuing past the right edge, so continuing to fill them when they look full isn't necessarily wasteful, it gives you a buffer for when they start falling.
    Finora likes this.
  3. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

I've never been able to figure out what information the spinning ring around the crafting station might give, in spite of having leveled up 9 crafters to level 100, so I just ignore it, park the crafting window right over the crafting station and watch the bars, when they move I take a quick look at the bottom to see if there is an event to counter and if not I just push the two abilities that I think are next in turn. I try to avoid the one I clicked last because it often isn't ready yet, if it was needed as a counter I just keep clicking on it every few seconds and it almost always becomes usable in time.
  4. Moorefallen Active Member

Things I learned recently Make sure you spent your crafting aa & btw you do not have to wait for an event to pop to build durability or progress will save you from failing so much.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

Counters improve every time you hit a x10 level, until they max out at 40. At 10 and 20 they are sort of useless. At 30 you should be confident of being able to recover from horrible luck. After 40 if you fail its entirely because of your choices.

Doing all the little things will make a small difference, and if you really need to succeed at a combine before 40 you play the "always building durability" game (which will make your combines take a long, long time). Before 30 you have to craft a lot more conservatively than you will after 40. Honestly nothing makes as much difference as hitting 40 will.
  6. Meirril Well-Known Member

p.s. I really hate the title of this thread. It is totally uninformative and I'll end up checking this thread over and over because I won't remember what this is about. Try to make the title have something to do with the actual content of the OP post.
    Dude, Prissetta and santargria like this.
  7. santargria Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned, below lvl 30 crafting is a bit more difficult.

However, some good advice from others:
    • Spec your AA early so they "kick in" as you gain levels
    • Get some gear - crafting is readily available on the broker ever 20 or levels you should upgrade your gear
    • Do some quests - there are some quests that give gear rewards well worth the effort - not to mention the xp
    Also, it sounds like you are doing something wrong - at lvl 28 you should not be "failing" WO's unless you are missing your "counters"
    You MUST hit those counters to be effective at your level - it isn't quite as important later on, but low levels it's very important.

Also doing the counters instills good habits for later crafting as there are some crafting quests that will kill you if you miss a counter.
    elflover likes this.
  8. Melt Actually plays the game

It just sucks
  9. Northsidebill New Member

Currently level 36 crafting doing level 30 rush orders and failing about half the time. I dont want to be given anything, thats not what Im asking for. All I want is for the crafting to make some sort of sense and be consistent
  10. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

How are you failing and have you tried any of the tips?

You need to understand the delay built into the controls and counter the durability drop before it starts dropping.
    (If keeping the durability up is the problem.)
    Like steering a super tanker or hot air balloon.
    santargria likes this.
  11. santargria Well-Known Member

Something is definitely wrong - the only time I fail WO's is below lvl 20.

Are you using the default interface?

Or perhaps you are calling the counters failures?

Do you have all the counter icons at the bottom of your crafting window?
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Santargria.

You should not be regularly failing rush orders at 30 anything. By 36 you shouldn't even regularly be failing combines.

Before you start crafting next time, stop and look at what each of the crafting abilities do. You have +progress abilities, which make your combine go faster. Then you have +durability abilities which make your combines less likely to fail. One of each kind is purely + to progress or durability but it costs power so if you use it a lot you can end up with no power to actually counter a reaction that pops up. The other 4 each give a bonus, but do have a minor negative associated with them, however they do not cost any power and can be used as much as you like.

You should have plenty of time to hit at least 2 abilities per round of crafting, occasionally pushing the one that costs power.

I personally favor mostly using the three + progress abilities and if a combine starts going wrong switch to the +durability ones until it recovers.

I do use the keyboard to craft, not clicking on the buttons in the window with my mouse. Maybe try that? I really don't know what else to tell you without seeing exactly what you are doing.
    santargria and Shmogre like this.
  13. Katz Well-Known Member

Useful video.
    elflover and Finora like this.
  14. Carynn Well-Known Member

I usually do this repeatedly : 6, 2, 4 on the buttons bar and counter whatever counter comes up with the appropriate button. Throwing the 2 in there gives you a little kick of durability which should assist in success. Warning: you will likely also have trouble in the 60s.
  15. Laaw Well-Known Member

if you are doing rush orders, your lvl can easily out your skills, so just make items to get yours skills numbers up
  16. Meirril Well-Known Member

In my experience the only time you out pace your skills is when you are doing quests. Rush orders have you doing combines where you will skill up your class skills. Quest recipes are mostly not matching your class, so if you do a lot of normal crafting quests to level your class skills won't increase.
    santargria and Prissetta like this.
  17. gaymer77 Active Member

Honestly I just don't understand how you guys are failing even at 20. At low levels (and even higher levels) I use all 3 counters almost on cooldown. If you're having issues, stick with the LEFT 3 counters as they provide durability. Once you master that, start using the RIGHT 3 counters as they give progress. Also get some crafting gear since that'll help too.
  18. Melt Actually plays the game

are your left and right backwards
  19. Enoibia Well-Known Member

Mine are the same way round.
  20. Melt Actually plays the game

By default, right is durability and left is progress. Maybe you've moved yours because it makes more sense the other way?