A wizard's perspective...

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Daray, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Xellium Active Member

So we have had some time for most everyone in the guild to get their epics.
    It is very clear at this point that wizards/sorcs really got the short end of the stick here.
    I work as hard as I can to be competitive, but it is clear that I cannot compete as a wizard.

All of the other T1s received large boosts with their epics.
    Wizards got a 60% bump on Fusion which has a 90 second recast (with a stupid fervor mechanic no one is using) and a long recast pre pull fervor bump spell.

I have been playing wizard for a long time, I know how to play, I have been competitive every expansion until now.
    Its not close and its not fun.

My "perspective"/2c
    Rondo9 and Zeee like this.
  2. Konc3pt Active Member

bring back Xelgad
    Xillean, Zelox, Daray and 2 others like this.
  3. Sebekian New Member

Shrug, I did a zone-wide test of our guild Necromancer Pet Vs. my extra trigger of Fusion. My extra trigger of Fusion added 9 Billion to my parse for the zone, The Reaper pet and its abilities added 220 Billion to the Necromancer's parse. It's unfortunate but I can't help but feel like the devs are aware Sorcerers are all messed up/underpowered vs an archetype with far more utility/flexibility but just don't care. It is almost impossible to keep up as a Sorcerer now with the Summoner Epics.
    Zeee, Xellium and Rondo9 like this.
  4. Rondo9 Active Member

Yup, our epics are the worst of the DPS class closely followed by Warlocks. Beastlord and Assassin got extremely high dps dumbfire pets, Summoners got a new pet that massively increased DPS and conjs got a nice little permanent fervor buff (which can be casted on others also, but that's giving them more utility) , Brigand got a nice little bump to Double up which means they can cast more ascension spells which most Brigands are running near DC cap now so thats basically 3 hit of whatever they cast for 11secs plus a nice permanent fervor buff. Rangers got a nice little pet that seems do a fair chuck of DPS now.

Then we come to the Wizards, Magistratus is broken the only way to get the fervor component is to toggle the buff on and off. Increased range to fusion, like why would anyone want to cast something 140 meter away when nothing else would hit the target??? Seriously how is this even remotely helpful? Magistratus also adds a second hit to Fusion (2.5sec cast 1.5min recast) compare against Planeswalker's Celestial Strike ( 12sec recast and a very short casting speed) it does about half the damage. That's just one example, then the auto attack is something else but everyone seems to think I just want summoners nerfed so I'll stop right there.

Fury of the Magus, at ancient gives 25.3 fervor for 13 second every 5mins and the over isnt even worth mentioning because mages cant even come close to fervor cap unlike scouts that have ravaging. So with this buff as Daray pointed out gives us about 3% DPS increase over a sustained duration fight.

If Caith and other devs consider these epics to be balanced then all Wizards are doomed and lets not forgot about our counter part also.

Fiery Blast is also still more broken then ever, sure there was a fix which only fixed one of this major issues with the ability which was it doing nothing at all most of the time. Now damage does about 10-15% of the damage from the chain we cast. Fiery Blast is basically our bread and butter its like a Beastlords primal hit for next to nothing or summoners pet doing 10% of normal damage which we all know they get fixed immediately, I reported problems with FB back in KA beta in November we are now in February either there is a clear lack of communication or simply goes into the to hard basket.
    Xillean, Zeee, Daray and 3 others like this.
  5. Daray Well-Known Member

So if epic ability balance were to be better achieved, but had to be done within the confines of what has already been presented, then a solution could be along the lines of the following...

Fury of the Magus/Magelords:
    Reduce cast time to instant, reduce recast to 1 minute (at cap). And that's probably still undershooting it.

Magistratus:
    Make it affect all the abilities that place us under positional/range restrictions. That includes turning Fusion, Blast of Devastation, Firestorm into targeted blues and removing the range requirements on the multi-hits of Thunderclap. Give them each the secondary damage events and a (working) fervor proc.

It would certainly make the wizard epic abilities yield a slightly more tangible gain, but at the end of the day this discussion is somewhat academic because that awful ascension system still makes for horrible (and sidelined) class gameplay (see my original post).

Anyway, that was my attempt at making a reasonable suggestion. I didn't want to go overboard and request "other" class equivalents, because (in the case of the pets at least) those do need rebalancing.
  6. Mogrim Well-Known Member

I agree - but also, the "fervor" should be something I'm calling "epic magnitude" and on its own permanently independent multiplier tier
  7. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

If I was a wizard, I would be excited to build a left side prestige AA now to see how I could get this new fervor to work to my advantage. Left side also seems to benefit the group more. I love testing new things, so this almost makes me wish I could make a 100 wizard easily just to try it out. Fingers crossed it's not a huge disappointment...
  8. Yards Well-Known Member

Depending on how much fervor is granted, left side could potentially be better. With fiery blast being broken as it is, you should still be able to get max gains out of fiery blast on left side. I'm not sure if wizards are going to run into the same problems that warlocks have with left side, not being able to use it with ascension classes due to damage type change.
  9. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Oh wow that would be ridiculous. Hopefully it takes into account the spell cast and what type it SHOULD be and not what type it IS if the damage has been changed.
  10. Melt Actually plays the game

I'll be testing today or tomorrow. My thought is that if it gave 2,500,000 AMod before, it HAS to be a decent amount of fervor.
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  11. Mogrim Well-Known Member

2 fervor per rank. Not worth much at all.
  12. Kioske Well-Known Member

It's a small fervor boost to left side spec as a sorcerer now. The issue is, you either change your reforge out of CB into AB mod (like most of us have been doing) and lower your AB mod by a huge chunk to get your CB back, or you spend 12 hours a day in contested grinding tithe so you can max out the CB tithe and not worry.
  13. Xellium Active Member

Blaze is 12 fervor, not sure if it last for the full 10 seconds or just procs on one spell like the abil mod did.
    With everyone near or over 100 fervor in raid that 12 fervor is only worth a 6% damage gain.
    Left side is much further behind right, a 6% gain will not fix it.
    To boot the abil mod boost is gone so 1/4 step forward, 1/2 a step back.

Wizards are not 6% behind in dps as a whole either, an equally geared and skilled BL, Assassin, and summoner can out parse us 50-100% depending on the fight.

I really don't understand the point of making a token change like this, unless it is just the first of many upgrades.
    Zeee likes this.
  14. Daray Well-Known Member

First step would be to stop ignoring the elephant in the room. I hope Fiery Blast hasn't been crossed off the list as fixed.

What we saw today (fervor attached to Blaze) is pretty irrelevant. 12 additive fervor for 10s (off a 15s recast ability), on a bad prestige line, is rather minor given I already run at 100+ (and I only see that going up). I don't see any point in even testing it, but I am sure someone will let me know if the decimal place got lost again and it instead gives us 1200. :rolleyes:
    Konc3pt likes this.
  15. Yards Well-Known Member

If you are a warlock left side, reforging out of cb is a bad idea. The potency you gain from conversions will far outweigh the ab mod lost by reforging out of a different stat.
  16. Yards Well-Known Member

Well this is the same for both warlock and wizard, I don't know why I made it warlock only.
  17. Kioske Well-Known Member

Sorry my wording could have been better. What I mean is that we currently reforge out of overcapped CB into AB mod. If we left side spec, we would have to undo all of that just to keep our CB up because of the left side conversion.
  18. Yards Well-Known Member

Left side conversion is better. You gain over 1k potency and give up some ability mod. Potency is a multiplier where ability mod is an additive.
  19. Xellium Active Member

That's incorrect.
    Only your base CB is used in the conversion so your getting less conversion the more tithe points you grind.
    Unless for some reason your way over capped on CB which you shouldn't be.
    I believe I get around 800 potency with 20 CB Deity points.

Also, some of your smaller spells benefit more from abil mod then others.
    Considering half our parses are huge ascension abilities abil mod is not super important any more so I can agree with that.

800 more potency when you already have 25k is only a 3% gain.
    That doesn't really make up for the burst potential of right side spec.
    And every fight turns into a 1 min burn pretty quickly in this game.
  20. Yards Well-Known Member

Since this Is a wizard thread I'll assume you mean wizard right side is better than left. I will agree wizard left side is pretty terrible. However for warlocks, at least imo left side is better.