It may be the end for me in EQ2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Jealyn, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Healsu Active Member

So lets understand what Columbus Nova is. It a investment firm that buys company's that are faltering makes then profitable again then sells them for more then what they paid. The usual turn around time is around 4-5 years for most investment firms to turn the profit. When Columbus bought out the SOE online game company they gave it a new name DBG which will be the operating name for years and years to come. They gave DBG strict guide lines on money to spend every year and a expection on what monies need to come back every year so that in the time frame they want they can show the profit to loss margin when they put it on the market for sale. Now in a couple years when that happens it will be up to the new owners to figure out how the company will run. Trust me DBG im sure would love to add more people to there roster but until Nova sees a turn to profit for more monies spent it wont happen. I truly think though if Nova added more to DBG operating cost for a great marketing frim to take control the return would be well worth the money spent. Getting old players back and new blood in the game is always the key to make a product like EQ2 successful.

The FACT the NOVA bought the franchise means that the potential for it is very strong and yes they had to trim the fat a bit and a lot of great people suffered for it but they also had to make it profitable. Give it time trust in the Devs and DBG and even though we have all gone through some growing pains the return will be big in a couple years.

Side note if you are coming back to game or not likeing the new combat expansion and all the new stuff that comes with it you can always go to TLE when the game was simpler and less complicated
  2. Tekka Well-Known Member

Columbus Nova bought the portfolio, which includes the Norrath IP. The Norrath games are not the most profitable titles in the portfolio, and haven't been for a few years now. Daybreak Games will have to find a way to remain/become more profitable, and one of those ways is to cut titles that aren't making enough profit - as we've already seen with other game cancellations/closures.

Do you think an investment firm will continue to invest without the expected return, when there ARE titles in the portfolio that DO show that return?

That is compounded with the less that is invested, the more the game development suffers. The less development and new content, the more customers leave, and the less the remaining customers are willing to spend. The less players that are spending, the less profit made. The less profit made, the less is invested... You see where this is going.

EQ2 is already well into that cycle, just compare the past few content releases.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Healsu Active Member

I agree Tekka its a snow ball effect which is hard to break. I think the first thing EQ2 needs to do is simplify a lot of the back end game mechanics that are frustrating new to game players ( AA lines combat mechanics etc ) . Now im not saying make it kindergarten simple but find a good line and go from there. EQ2 also needs a way to find away to bring back a lot of there player base that has for what ever reason left for other MMO and games. a solid way is to bring back another TLE where they can play there toons again and in time transfer them over to other servers when there ready. Send out email blasts letting there old and new client base know whats new, whats upcoming and new changes get them excited again. Im sure the majority of EQ2 players have played other MMOs and just like everyone else have felt them lacking and have come back to the one game that deliveries the best game play possible ( EQ2 ). the potential to make this game profitable again is there just need the people with the powers to make it happen
  4. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Pfft, I say scale back gameplay to RoK/TSO levels. You know, back when the game was literally the best MMO out there. I genuinely feel that this is a game that's completely lost its way and lost what made it special.
    MikeySaysGo and Mizgamer62 like this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

This game still has a lot to offer, especially to... dare I say it? Roleplayers! We can earn items that will allow us an illusion to appear a different form for RP purposes that, for example, EQ1 doesn't offer (or easily). As well as much more freedom to design some of the abilities of our class HOW we want, rather than being cookie cutter Tank class #324,549 LFG. I don't see many games offering this comparatively, and is a big reason to stay, for me.
  6. harvash Active Member

I seriously question the viability of "flipping" a 15 year old title, but I am not a Investment Strategist.

Maybe it's just me, but I always had the feeling that someone's rich dad bought their kid (adult kid!) a gaming company because the kid thought it would be cool. Then, after the purchase, just kind went "meh, I don't want it now..."

That's the story in my head anyways :D
  7. MikeySaysGo Member

ROK was fun, I was on a break during TSO. I agree. although EOF was my favorite era. They should just start over with the current engine at level 1. Call if EQ 2.5. Make it the way the game used to be mechanics and all. They could even copy and paste zones and creature textures est.
  8. harvash Active Member

Amazes me these days how many folks seem to recall thinking ROK was a great xpac - I shudder every time I think about it. Travel was a royal PITA, solo mobs couldn't really be chained killed (had to stop and recover every few mobs) and the zones were almost too-big.

On the other hand...also loved EOF, it gets me "Best Xpac" vote.
    ugloopni likes this.
  9. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Chained killed is for those in a hurry for exp. I like to savor and enjoy each kill. Why kill them quickly? Make them suffer before I show mercy on them and kill them...
  10. beetle New Member

Why was it horrible? Because it was huge and a ton of quests and epics and kept you busy not bam content done ***** more about having nothing to do?
  11. Earar Well-Known Member

sadly I stopped just for EoF xpac

but I loved DoF, and I really liked RoK. the shadow odyssey was the one that made me leave. no lvl boost, new annoying stat ... crit mitigation, AA grind, wasn't fun. But I loved RoK, I loved the dragons raid, doing the first class weapon, the thrill when you saw your name and all the server was congratulating you.

was good memories :)
  12. harvash Active Member

None of which I listed as issues...
  13. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Yeah, crit mit sucked. It was just an artificial gating stat like resolve is now. I cheered when Smokeblower announced they were getting rid of it. I liked TSO for the fun instances and the shard armor system I don't know why in each successive expansion they've messed around with the mission currency reward system when they got it right the first time.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

ok sorry I skipped most of this thread I also can't really talk here I did not even get to level 100 on any of my toons after playing for 6 years
    I think Jealyn is not wining but wants to get information about how to have fun again. the new expansion scares me.
    I like the lower level contains better its more simple more straight forward ,that's why I play now on Stormhold I have never seen some of the dungeons or done most of the quests before
    Nobody forces anybody to play the new expansion especially if they did not play for such a long time.
    start where you left of there are still people that play lower levels.
    or those half gods that can master those heroic dungeons by them self's could lend you a hand.
    I totally agree that nobody should be forced to craft man leveling up 100 levels just so you can make some combine
    is just wrong
    it was never a good idea to level up to level 50 levels or more higher than you were before unless you know the class well.
    mentor down and go for the lower level zones .
    Or if you have any toons left you did not level up to 100 play with them .
  15. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

posting in an epic thread. will spare you of my rant as you should look at Yakhu's post over here:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/my-last-feedback.575754/

For an excellent summary of some of the dumb poop plaguing this game right now.

Whiteknights be like:
    But they have a small team and are trying hard!
    Epic 1.0 had some old quests in it too! (edit oh and max crafting too right? No)
    You want everything handed to you!

You idiots are missing the point many of the people bringing up issues are trying to convey by so much its fing astounding.
    Cataclysm, Mizgamer62 and Toxify like this.
  16. Cataclysm Active Member

This is exactly what is wrong with this xpac. Getting into heroic content is far harder than it's ever been since the game launched.

It's been killing smaller guilds due to the gap.

There should be a whole Tier of heroics below the current Tier 1.
  17. Raff Well-Known Member

DBC is hiring. They have 47 positions open that they are trying to fill. Hardly the behavior of a company on the downturn.Means there are funds available for those salaries
    Prissetta likes this.
  18. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Now you have to ask why do they have '47 open positions', they are either terrible to work for, or don't pay market rates., or ...
    Mizgamer62 and Tekka like this.
  19. Regolas Well-Known Member

Only one for EQ2, Senior Programmer
    Tekka, Feldon, Mizgamer62 and 2 others like this.
  20. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

Tier 1 heroics really aren't that hard to be honest, tank healer (or two) and fill up the group with anyone else and you'll do fine in T1 while in Advance Solo zone Gear, all you have to do is try.