=( Returning Player, New Xpak...pain and suffering.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Lunar Ice, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Terrius Well-Known Member

Apparently the overland mobs have resolve which is bugged, or so I read in discord. Rumour has it, it will be fixed in the next hotfix.
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  2. Tekka Well-Known Member

Did they give an eta on the hotfix? or is it all being bundled to the next tuesday maintenance?
  3. Hijinx Well-Known Member

The problem, Caith, is that many people (like me) will want to run through the adventure timeline first, then the crafting timeline. We shouldn't be forced to do one before the other. And forcing people to buy armor off the broker is not a great solution either, IMO.

There should be a relatively smooth transition for people to work their way through the ToT timeline into KA.

Anoxia likes this.
  4. Lazaretto New Member

I'm in the same boat. Came back prior to expansion launch and did TOT signature line. Upgraded all my gear with stuff on the broker and my resolve is sitting around 50. It was so painful last night, the opening mobs in Obulus took me like 5-10 minutes to kill each with various mercs, I was bored out of my mind. It's gotten maybe a tiny bit better but overall the experience is not fun at all. So much so that after a few hours of banging my head against the wall last night I said you know what, F it and went back to playing another MMO. I hope this is not intended, maybe a bug? I'm not against challenge, have done my fair share of raiding at a pretty high level over the years, but you guys shouldn't make it so daunting for returning players in the beginning expansion content - that's just not good business. Make it tough but make it fun. I'm hoping it's just a bug or I can eventually get a few pieces of gear that will make it bearable. The thing is these days, with so much competition in the market, games need to be fun - not an unbearable slog. Maybe this difficulty level in the siganture line and opening quests is not intended? Shouldn't take 10 minutes to kill an overland mob. Life's too short for that, for real.
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Adevil Well-Known Member

6. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

In order to allow the expansion to feel any sort of progression, the mobs should at least be sort of tough to fight at first--especially for characters who aren't geared up with solid previous content or current content handcrafted (not even necessarily mastercrafted) items. Like, they should at least feel as tough as things from the previous hardest advanced solo content. Otherwise people in even better gear than I have would just have to look at the mobs and they would run way in fear. That's also not fun and makes the content ridiculous.

If people are taking 10 minutes to kill mobs but have proc weapons and 4 or 5k potency, then I would say there is something amiss. Even more than a minute for a trash overland mob would point out to a character who at least had solid solo gear from ToT (or the boosted gear from a new 100 purchase along with adorns in slots) that something is messed up. Perhaps resolve being factored in or another weird bug. That being said,

The character I used last night, I had put a lot of effort into getting him ready with ToT and premium advanced solo and heroic gear. He is a brand new character as of about a month ago or whenever preorders went live. But I spent that time getting him ready to perform well as my main in solo and heroic content. I was also pleasantly surprised to be able to put some ethereal items from my previous main on him. But even then, he is well behind some of these people running around with 10k potency and 200k ability mod.

This character found the content to be smooth and very fun. Things died quickly and with minimal effort. Did up through Baron's workshop to get the greenmist weapon part done, as well as about 10 or so overland quests. Everything felt about as difficult as solo premium content like zek or nizara, which is exactly what I expected, having played a little of beta.

I started the game in AoM, so my time then was fresh and free to play on top of it, at the time. Yup, it was tedious. Things took a while to kill and would have been horrible if I didn't have a friend who made me crafted gear to get started. Solo dungeons took me 45 minutes and sometimes were not even possible to complete on my paladin even in what I considered a decent solo setup. Not to mention, back then the boost was to 90, so even if you wanted to 'jump right in' to current content, you couldn't. You had to do agnostics or the ToV questline or something else to even get to the point of doing AoM at 95. But I persevered and conquered. You will too. The gear that drops from quests are massive upgrades to people who would be free to play. Join a guild, make some friends, have fun.

Look me up on Maj'dul if you'd like some advice, some help, or a nice guild to join.
    Raff likes this.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

It is no different than it was at the launch of AoM. That was pretty hard too until you got some new gear.

I solo'd the first obulus mobs with my defiler. (rarely ever use a merc) Took longer than usual. Even though I'm geared in high resolve heroic gear, I only have 1 ethereal. At any launch I don't expect to mow mobs down like I was in the last expac.

You could always group up for the sig line too.
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  8. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Reading these posts last night before bed about taking forever to kill a mob and with the dev reply..... I had a dream last night, and I blame all of you. I haven't tried expansion yet as I don't have it, but! I did in my dream, which was in real life. We kept bashing at mobs and nothing really happening and a dev was sitting on the table, so I go over and pull out a piece of paper which looks like the character sheet UI and show him that my dps was like 200, and so many other low numbers. He shrugged and said "working as intended, have fun!"

I don't remember much with dreams, more happened, but I really did dream that and I blame all of you.

But to be more relevant to the topic: I was going to try and work up the best I can to get gear through advanced solos and dailies/weeklies, but kinda lose the urge when you get told to just buy upgrades because the rest is useless. I usually hate grinding, but actually had that feeling of wanting to. But that killed it :( I can understand challenging overland content right off the bat, but not if the times you guys express are accurate and not to exaggerated. Thalumbra wasn't bad with full quest gear and only a couple advanced solo from previous expansion.

Just my thoughts :)
    Meneltel and Prissetta like this.
  9. Adevil Well-Known Member

From what Kander's said in Discord chat there's a hotfix on Thursday.
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  10. Adevil Well-Known Member

From Discord chat Tuesday Nov 15:

Tsurupettan - Yesterday at 5:25 PM

Do the outdoor critters have a resolve value in Obulus Frontier?

Kander - Yesterday at 5:25 PM

Yes, they are broken until Thursaday. Was a strange feature issue.
    Anoxia, Meneltel, Terrius and 4 others like this.
  11. Mahare Member

So I am primarily a solo player who collects shiny things and likes to talk to people. I like going through the signature series and getting rewards through that. Latest time was Tears of Veeshan, after which my guild kinda split up and I quit for a bit.

Now I'm in the 100 boost gear, going through the Thalumbra solo series, which for me states should be good to go through the KA solo series. But when the dev response is "buy gear from the broker", that...kind of takes the adventure out of it for me. I get the handcrafted gear I would be getting would be stronger, but when I try to be self sufficient...I might be giving playing this expac a pass for a little while.

EDIT: Good to see some things are broken instead. Still going to go through Thalumbra, then I'll peek my head back here and see if that'll be good enough to go through Kunark.
  12. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Good to know, thank you for posting this :)

*goes back to getting gear that won't be worthless!*
  13. Cragfire Well-Known Member

Yeah this is beyond just "new expansion" and not being completely geared up, or combat being more difficult till people get new gear.

To add to my above posts, since things have cleared up (bug gone), I've done a few zones and over a dozen quests in the new expansion. Including pulling groups and/or several up-cons at a time without issue.

With the bug around 25k~75k Auto Attacks. When the bug cleared up Auto went back to normal of 150k~400k. Higher, depending on Crit levels. Now with a few upgrades, Auto is doing 400k~1.2Mil. Which is to be expected. (Note: combat arts are effected too, but for simplicity I'm just talking auto here. I have no clue if pure casters are effected)

I still feel it's a bug that effects a few rare characters out of the whole. The good part is that once it clears up, it seems to be gone and things are normal going forward.

There is a glitch in the matrix.
    Lunar Ice likes this.
  14. Cragfire Well-Known Member

I did a beta copy of my paladin that was boosted from 90 to 100 using the token. (I had left the game for a few years myself) With just quest and solo zone gear from ToT I did just fine in the KA solo instances. I think the solo zones were tweaked a little up since I was in beta two weeks ago, but it is/should still be more then doable. Once this issue cleared up on my current character, he too did just fine. :)
  15. Hijinx Well-Known Member

Beta characters were buffed up until the end of beta. It remains to be seen if ToT timeline gear is enough. It would seem otherwise given Caith's statement.

But now I'm really irked that the bug confirmation was posted to discord and not here. Very annoying!!
  16. Lunar Ice New Member

We have not given up and today we will go with your suggestion and look into the new Handcrafted gear IF there is any for sale on AB. We are in ToT Solo/Dropped/MC gear currently. I am hoping this really was just something buggy going on last night or something that can be fixed as easily as switching out a couple pieces of gear. =)

As for everyone else who was struggling: Good luck! Hope it works out for all of us!
    Hijinx likes this.
  17. Razadazar New Member

I feel everything seems tuned about right for me so far. I am taking my necro with about 7k potency and the new Ranger merc through the sig line...and most mobs I have faced die in 10 seconds or less. And I have not even begun to gear up in KA gear yet. I figure to be one shotting this overland trash once I get fully KA geared.

I also did one solo zone last night and was waiting for a challenge of some sort....never got it.

This is like any other xpac to me. Returning players with low dps toons and healer mercs are gonna struggle a bit at first. While the well equipped players who played all through ToT, Zek and Nizara are gonna slice and dice these mobs like sushi. Also I am not a Raider, so I am just in solo/heroic ToT gear. The new Ranger merc can solo overland trash by himself in like 20 secs or less.....just an FYI.
    Raff likes this.
  18. Razadazar New Member

U guys might wanna look closely at your toons before u start crying for nerfs. Mobs have a new combat mitigation buff that can be debuffed by many classes and it greatly increases damage done to them.

Also, if u are fighting overland trash for 10 minutes, you are poorly geared and doing garbage dps. Does that mean the mobs need to be nerfed? Alot of returning players are coming back for Kunark. They're not geared well at all. So there is a challenge for them. So be it.....

My heroic geared necro is killing these mobs in 10 seconds or less. The new Ranger merc can solo them in 20 seconds or less. Why cry nerf? Then u have nothing to work towards.

If u are taking 5 mins or more to kill solo overland trash , look into buying some handcrafted KA armor and weapons off the broker. It makes a difference. Use a DPS merc and equip it with merc armor...it makes a difference.
    Raff likes this.
  19. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I think most anyone could be poorly geared for a bug. They don't need to be nerfed, they need to be fixed to the levels that was intended. Some have issues, some don't. Hence: bug. :) Devs already stated it will be fixed tomorrow.
  20. Raff Well-Known Member

Bug or not, I'm soloing a defiler through it. Maybe I'm just used to killing things slower, lol.

Debuffing seems to help quite a bit. I have heroic, high resolve gear and one ethereal piece. Resolve at 114.

No raid gear though.