Played - Then and Now

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by xpsync, Oct 26, 2016.

1. xpsync Active Member

This isn't anything more of something people may find interesting.

When i left the game about a decade'ish ago, i had many alts which were close in time played to my main which was level 80. I deleted all my alts upon my return to the game when i moved to the IoR server. I can't even begin to explain how hard it was to delete them as their perceived value to me was about how much time was spent on each one, but i wanted a clean start outside retaining my main.

Only recently i started playing my main again, even though i moved it months ago. Now that i have another toon nearing 80 i checked /played and it has 5 days played, i checked my main and getting to 80 back in the day took a whopping 76 days.

Needless to say i feel much better about deleting all those alts, it was perceived value, where my main is highly sentimental value.
    Seryndipity likes this.
  2. Thalador Active Member

Yeah, it isn't like it used to be. You can go from 1-100 in a couple of days with potions now. Way back when (I have been here since launch) making levels was an accomplishment, now its just...there...
  3. Ratza Well-Known Member

if you want to level up at a snails pace then check out Race to Trak server.....;)
  4. Ladymist Well-Known Member

I don't get it, you are complaining it didn't take longer to level up? Did they take out the old quest lines and you had to bypass them?
  5. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

The xp curve is drastically different now.
  6. Rolien Active Member

Back in my day.

It would take us weeks to get a level and you needed other people to level up. Then when you finally leveled up you died to a large rat and lost your level and gear. Then you had to run back to your body to try and get your gear just to have that large rat kill you again and then that same large rat would send you hate messages about how you're a terrible player and you should just uninstall.

It was much more brutal back then.
    duckster, Kurzan and Kroogur like this.
  7. Arandar Well-Known Member

Back in my day, you had to read the quest dialog on a teletype, you input your commands on punch cards and if your character died, you lost your timeshare minutes. Damned kids today and their fancy "user interfaces" and three-dimensional graphics. They have no idea how easy they have it.
  8. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Bah, in our day we had to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins!

(where does THAT come from? *giggles hatefully*)
  9. xpsync Active Member

This wasn't a complaint, was only of interest. Of that 76 days there was plenty of camping time, raid forming time, and crafting was as slow as leveling. So wasn't entirely strict leveling and a large portion of that time was most likely spent in vanilla leveling to 50, and then 60 in the Sands, i think it was after that leveling and everything else started to become less of a grind and could solo more content.
    It was a great time, but i wouldn't want to do it again. The difference was you had to live the game and have extremely reliable like minded group to play with at all times, or forget progressing in the game. Example carpet quest took two groups of 6, one in and another on the out for extra damage just to take down Ab'zheri, everything was like that. Now... i think i took him down in 3 hits, maybe, lol.
    Would i want to do it old school again? not really, this was a decade ago and at the time i was completely enamored with the game and so was everyone else playing at the time. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to living the game (I'm sure people still do and that's cool), but i certainly enjoy playing it now.
    Over time people really started to become unhappy with the direction soe took, and during Epic 1.0 all the people i played with were starting to wander on and off to mostly off. Even during that time there was no soloing Sebilis and i remember trying to get a new crew going but, it's like a band i guess, there was no synergy and i was probably spoiled to have hooked up with such fine players that i found new ones overly frustrating as it felt like starting at level one again, so i left too.
    Fast forward to when i wanted to delete over half dozen alts and start a new, imagine my state of mind when i 'm thinking the time it took to get those alts into 50's, 60's, and 70's i literally deleted 100's of DAYS of /played time. As it turned out, it was as i thought, perceived value, i can level a toon to max with cash in an instant, or in a couple days with potions, as i mentioned my main's value was not of the time it took but of the amazing memories i had leveling her up.:)
    Cheesenabber likes this.
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

Keep in mind though. Your first couple of toons will always be the slowest. Not only are you learning the ins and outs of the game...but you have no vet bonus and likely no vitality most of the time. Most of us vets (or a good portion of us I venture) have 10 max level toons. So when we do play that alt, the vet bonus and max vitality added to potions, server bonus (if applicable) and now gnostic dungeon bonus makes leveling a LOT faster than the old days.