Battlegrounds, Battlegrounds never change…except when they do. [BG Beta Feedback Thread]

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Caith, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twelvetrees Member

Put a Beta Buffer in there so I can try these @ lvl 100 with lvl 100 gear.
  2. Caith Developer

No I am not going to buff your live character.
    Stealthmode, Avahlynn and Dude like this.
  3. Twelvetrees Member

Ok, tried them with a 100 wizard. Main strategy on a wiz is build increments and melt groups / single target, however AA's are not working so couldn't use Frozen Detonation. What are next steps, what progress has been made?
  4. Datoon Active Member

I see BG's just becomming a place the elites can go PVP and prove how uber thay are.... This is not going to work for the casual community. No reward for losing, NO POINT!! I used to enjoy BG's even when losing, because you could still get tokes for better gear, house items etc. Made it worth losing!
    Dude likes this.
  5. Justbecause Active Member

The good news is its still in beta. I agree though it will help encourage not so geared people to join up. There is most definitely some tweaking to be done yet. I will be curious to see how AA/prestige abilities will be handled. I still see that being the final deciding factor in the whole thing. When dagger storm was working it was pretty lethal. I hope that the final product will end up being something to the degree of biggest attacks will only take 50-70% of targets health so they still feel effective but not so much that you completely erase all utility from others. I went in again this weekend and on wizard this time and it felt very different from the bard. I actually had to use corners to my advantage. I felt like I was playing Gears of War lol, peaking around corners to time attacks.
  6. attcker96 New Member

So I have only read bits and pieces of this thread. I haven't played in about a year, Are there no more open world pvp and only Battlegrounds left?

PvP was amazing on this game and is a shame if it has gone for good.
  7. Feldon Well-Known Member

The 12 people playing it weren't enough to support a separate PvP server.
    Lasai likes this.
  8. Tekka Well-Known Member

Are those 12 people enough to support a full on BG revamp?
  9. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

BGs is far more popular as you can opt in to do it when you like. If they can get the balance right and have it have some form of incentive it will be warranted.
    Feldon likes this.
  10. Feldon Well-Known Member

People like BGs. They can PvP when they want, and quest/adventure/solo/craft when they want.

Every time safe zones were added to Open World PvP, the gankers complained loudly, leading more people to quit. Eventually all that was left was gankers.

That style of gameplay is perfectly valid -- in Planetside 2, H1Z1:KotK, etc. It doesn't really work here.
    Meneltel and Malleria like this.
  11. Meneltel Well-Known Member

If I wanted gankers, I would play WoW or most other PvP games. To me, BGs is ritualized dueling with more than just one duel going. I prefer a battle, however, too many want to gank, cheat or anything for the win, rather than the fun of competing with others. I am not interested in BGs, but I hope its done right and is fun for those who do use it. I would wait several more months for the expansion to be released if it would help to get this done properly.
  12. Justbecause Active Member

It needs to be the other way around honestly. The expansion shouldn't be waiting on BG's. I did however like open world better than BG's. When people were playing legit it was extremely fun. Even in the beginning with the 15's just to start earning currency was probably the most fun I have had in this game period. Ganking was a very small part of the problem. Though I don't feel that was the reason for the downfall. If that was true BG's would have tons of threads with demands and such like KA. We don't want to lose PvP all together but at the same time we want it done right and not interfering with any PvE aspects of the game. Hope that some of them will start showing up in the hub again.
  13. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Ill be honest, I am more likely to show up for a PvP server if the combat was more "fair" but lets be honest. Combat IRL is often not "fair" and "ganking" happens IRL most often. I see it as hard to enforce. I can suggest one idea from EQ time (not sure why it failed, though). To help make things more fair, make a level restriction of your victim. They cant be more than, say, 5 (five) levels below or above you. Gives them at least some sort of fighting chance to survive while calling for help or to get away, though not likely to win if outleveled. Just a thought.

Some of the most fun in pvp I had in WoW was the massive lag fights between Southshore and Tarren Mills in Classic WoW. Lag made it worse but was still fun, when it wasn't laggy (at beginning of the skirmishes). The others was figuring out a way to gank gankers... being a lone warlock out questing in a contested zone to have enemy rogues gank me... only to find that I survived longer than they thought I would... and that I wasn't alone (stealthed guildies nearby, including a healer!). We did this so often that gankers cried about it on the server forum warning to leave my guild alone and got laughed at by the real PvPers for getting the smackdown gankers deserved!
  14. Justbecause Active Member

Especially now 5 levels would still have no chance what so ever. That is why they are % boosting the lower tiers. PvP was commonly 8 levels above or below for zones. Twinks were standing at the ready and in world chat you could watch people announce where the players were that were outside of that level gap. The worst thing they could have done was allow you to travel while being attacked. Ganker gets you, you come back for revenge and ganker zones to keep his kill streak//title. It was the single worst idea ever. The funniest part was those who sat at zone lines ganking people were among the worst of the PvP players out there. Catch them out in the open and you found out immediately why they had to have an advantage to kill you. I always thought it was fun to zone with them a bunch of times while recording to prove how cowardly they were.
  15. Exur Well-Known Member

imho, if you quit cause you kept getting ganked.. you weren't meant for a PvP server. It's just a reality of your playstyle and it's not the gankers or quiting players fault... it's just not ment for them. There are so many options to avoid and even bait to kill the ganker. Out "willing" the ganker when it's a pointless battle was something I actually enjoyed doing till I geared myselft or got friends to turn the fight to my favor. "Well then they just run away!" ... exactly, which means you beat/overpowered the ganker. Be happy with that and move about your day. That's the concept of a open PvP server. You figure out away around ganking hubs and you quest while constantly looking over your shoulder. It was intents, frustrating and edge of your seat fun (for me). On live, I kill a mob and ninja afk to get some coffee.... it's boring and not for me. The idea of having a PvP server full of players who can't take a "gank" would be pretty terrible. When the server was strong, the player base was PvP mentally strong.... always bad apples, but the core of the PvP population knew how to just ignore trolls and terrible "people". When you invested time to argue with an obvious troll, you lost and again the servers wasn't ment for you. Actually, arguing/debating a troll can be entertaining as long as you knew it was.

anyway, back on track. Hopefully after this xpac dev can take a few mins to look at BGs again.
  16. Justbecause Active Member

I think the ganking problem wouldn't have been such an issue for some if there weren't so many ways to avoid combat. Some classes are naturally faster than others. Why take that advantage away from them with evacs in combat? For some if they don't land the first couple attacks they have no chance. So allow them to travel when hit? I was a lockdown class(brig) during most of my time beginning in PvP and a tank/healer at the very end. I used stop the runners so the rest of my team could take them out. It was really fun then. I left PvP for a while to catch back up on raiding and when I came back everyone stood by the bells and portals. There was no using pets to talk, there was just smack talking in say back and forth with everyone standing in immunity and zoning to refresh. It was a freakin joke. No wonder Naggy died off so fast. Warfields delayed the problem a little until the 3-5 second lag spikes came with every death. The point I am getting at is it needs to be fun again. BG's although its a different style of PvP, it still encourages combat. I really like the fact that if you stand in "immunity" for too long it will kick you. Nobody cares about kills or a leaderboard anymore. Just throw some spells/CA and if you die, guess what you will respawn. I just hope they can come up with some new zones/objectives because I honestly think the ones that are there currently have been played out so much that older players would either not want to go through them again for get burnt out pretty quickly.

I have also been qued up 2 or 3 nights in a row and not gotten a single match. I think something has to be addressed and I am willing to hash out new ideas in the free time now up until the expansion comes out because I don't think it will happen before that, which is fine.
  17. Exur Well-Known Member

Those people weren't actually playing EQ2, they were basically BGing by a bell. That's not the PvP experience I'm referring to. I'm referring to the PvP that occurred when you were immersed deep into the EQ2 content and PvP collisions happened... or avoiding the gank squads on the hunt for YOU. Man it was great! Thankfully, EQ2 isn't played within a 5m radius of a bell.
  18. Justbecause Active Member

Yep, before it all changed and people were out and about hunting it was most definitely in working order. People run around calling PvP dead and this and that. In reality it was changed away from the point when it actually worked. The last 3-4 years of it were dead. I can easily agree with that. For the life of me I am not sure why they felt the need to mess with it so much. The devs are now finding out just how hard it is to put it back to any kind of a balanced state. It needed to be separate back then and it still needs it now. This is the reason I fear BG's will never make it to where it is supposed to be. Every change directly impacts the other servers. Why does BG's have to advance beyond where it stopped? I think no more than a few tweaks to the maps it will run sufficiently. Still only getting 1 set of tokens, which will get me absolutely nothing in the way of a descent green adorn. Can't use the temp adorns because I can't hardly get in a match with anyone but myself. Am I the only one who wants it to go back to AoM and change the tokens/tweak maps?
  19. Ashandra Well-Known Member

Customer feed back.

ok played in bgs today.

Cant say much....... just the most fun I have ever had in EQ2 was in bgs doing the missions getting tokens for some really good loot while making friends from cross servers and gobbing off. All the time earning loot that could be used in both pvp and pve.

We still had pot cb and ab mod we still had mounts casting speed ect ect it was some what toned down but it was really really fun

This new version isn't so much fun 0 casting speed no mounts ect ...... I mean why? Bgs its for fun.

Whats there atm misses the mark it will fall flat on its face its being set up to fail with this approach I wish I could say its good but its very ordinary .

Just my 2 cents worth of feed back what's there Atm isn't up to standard Bgs is a lot of fun but not like this its not a true representation of what it can be.
    Ucarenyes likes this.
  20. Ucarenyes Member

If dev have time and nerve for better PvP maybe use it in PlanetSide and leave BG be? When ToV launched people were happy grinding in BG and interactive each-other. Now this time BG is broken and we have to run those boring quests...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.