Highhold Bookcases can't be filled.

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Moonpanther, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've discovered we have these huge beautiful highhold bookcases and can't put anything on them at all? Seriously? Come on, that makes them absolutely useless. Is there a fix going in on this I hope??
  2. Aislynn Member

They are not useless, they just require some extra work. There are work-arounds both through the layout editor and in-game decorating mode solutions.

For the in-game work-around you'll need to put a tile or block at the same level as whatever shelf you'd like to fill, then through decorator mode sink the high hold bookcase into the ground (or make it float above). Place the items you want on the temporary shelf replacement. Rinse and repeat for each shelf, making sure which each shelf that it's lined up properly, of course. It's extra effort and time, and it would be easier if they fixed it, but in the meantime you can work around the limitation.

The Far Seas Empty Bookshelf has the same issue.

Good luck :)
  3. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the tip Aislynn! I had checked in the homeshow channel before posting here and no one had any solutions. So this is much appreciated. I would like to see these things fixed however. Makes the props seem incomplete and rushed out when one has to use "work arounds" to use these items.

Is there a place where we might encourage the devs to fix these?

Again, thank you very much, you saved a whole room for me lol.
    Valzen and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Aislynn Member

I have no idea, other than right here - hopefully this thread gets a dev taking a peek at it at some point.

Glad to hear it, eagerly awaiting pictures :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Same thing Aislynn said . . . That's how I get stuff inside my display cases that you get from the city festivals. Of course now you can use the "stair" building block and just raise that to the same height and then repeat as needed.
    Valzen and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I'm going to bump this one up in hopes of getting a Dev's attention. I would really love it if all the decorators would get together and post here regarding these wonderful looking props. Please fix these so that we can place books and decorative items on them in the normal manner. PRETTY PLEASE :D
  7. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Oldie but goodie. Please put this on the fix list.

I just acquired the bookcase and am so disappointed it has to be finagled to work. *goes back to playing sink bookcase, place the stair block, place book, raise case, check level, mutter deprecations, retry, rinse and repeat. :(:mad:
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Apparently, it saves on "triangles"... X-(

I can sort of understand that for Player Studio stuff, but if the Powers are the ones making them, then guess what, o Powers? YOU HAVE THE SPACE ON THE SERVERS. >:-/

Uwk
    who has the EXACT same issue with bunk beds, "open" boxes, lots of the old/lower tier bookshelves, etc.
    Uzumele likes this.
  9. Uzumele New Member

Is this issue still something that crafters/decorators can get behind? I just found out when I finally made some of these shelves. I'm floored. Who could possibly think an UNusuable shelf would ever be okay? :(

Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The really irritating thing about all that is when you finally do get something in a box, or on a bunk bed, or in a bookshelf (if it has a flat top, it's relatively easy to place a book on top, then grab it and sink it), you'd better have it placed PERFECTLY once you let go of it, or you won't be able to select it again without raising up the container entirely, since it's considered "within" the containing item, and that'll be all you can select. :(

Essentially, what's going on is that it's apparently infinitely easier for the Art Dept. to make an "invisible" solid rectangular item, then paint/draw/whatever a couple of sides, a back, a top and bottom, and a "front side" of "shelves" on said invisible solid form to make a bookcase. This saves on having to actually "place" a separate back, top/bottom, sides, and a series of real shelves in the front, thus making a vertically standing, actual box with shelves. :-/

It saves on computer rendering power, or some such. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  11. elflover Well-Known Member

You fill it by placing stuff on top of it and lowering it down thats how i get things on there.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, easy enough if there's a nice flat top (that's the way I do it, almost always, rather than juggling the bookshelf itself), but not all of them do. :(

Apparently, the Highhold ones don't? Sounds like a job for a Stair of something to me, to make the top flat. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  13. elflover Well-Known Member

I havent had any issue with it before needing a stair on top, but im usually still holding the item as i lower it so i can make sure its placement i want.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Smarter than I am, then... :D

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.