Krono Cost on the Rise

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ZUES, May 19, 2015.

1. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I'm confused by the people who are upset about the krono prices, to be honest. Are they ridiculous or even out of reach to many average player's ? Sure, maybe. They are literally a means for the company to make money off of some players making money off of other players, though. They aren't an act of generosity. They are an expression of one group's greed taking advantage of another group's greed at the expense of the rest. They're about generating numbers, not helping friends. This isn't about a subjective opinion of what 'fair' is. People selling kronos would be stupid to not raise their prices based on the state of the market, and the company would be stupid to not keep selling them if they're making money. If some people, even gold sellers, are competent enough to play the market and manipulate prices that should be expected not a surprised cause of alarm. It's not really complicated at all.
    Xakrein likes this.
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

Some people are complaining about the price of a krono. I'm complaining about the rampant inflation. If you've read more than a page of this thread what I'm about to say shouldn't surprise you: whenever you have enough plat to buy a krono, buy it. Plat doesn't hold its value.

If you have plat from one year ago, that plat is worth 1/6th of what it was worth then. Master spells that would of sold for a few hundred plat last year sell for 5k or more now. Inflation has not just been a consistent problem, its actually accelerated in the last year. Is it a new plat exploit? Is it a shrinking player base? Is it the increase rewards from ToT? The only people that know for sure work for DBG, but whatever it is the devs have not only ignored the concerns of all the posters in this thread, they've actually made the problem worse.

Its actually somewhat impressive. Not a good impression mind you.
    Meneltel likes this.
  3. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Inflation is an MMO staple unfortunately. There are probably a lot of different converging factors feeding in to the problem here and I'm not going to pretend to know or understand even a portion of the situation. Ultimately it's only going to change if the devs want to change it. Even if they do, though, it's only going to change so much. The game is old and there are too many players with heavy coin purses to turn this ride around at this point. Not without pissing a lot of people off unless it's done very well and delicately, and I hope no one is holding their breath hoping that will happen. The reality we have is people making money in a legitimate way off of people willingly paying the prices being asked. As long as players are willing to buy and DB is willing to sell I wouldn't expect things to get anything but worse.
    Xakrein likes this.
  4. Xakrein Well-Known Member

What leads you to believe inflation is worse now, than it was in years prior?

The worst inflation I can recall, is when mass farming old RoK zones became a staple of in game activity.

Outside of that, every new expansion introduces new ways to generate plat, and the old ways to generate plat still exist. That is why I believe inflation continues with every expansion. Many things in MMOs have a tendency for inflation. Currency is one, DPS is another.

As Castegyr said:
    As far as EQ2 is concerned, the mighty ship named "Inflation" has sailed, and not only made it to the destination, but made several round trips. There is no stopping the inflation unless the EQ2 team somehow manage to secure the resources for a complete game economy overhaul, and believe they can do it without driving more people away than it attracts. Good luck with that happening...

We have no way of knowing if the Devs have, or have not looked into where plat is being generated from. But given the tough stance taken when the ToT duping issue was exposed, if there is a new plat exploit, I would expect to see even more severe punishments. I am in no way speculating that there is a dupe, as the rate of inflation seems more par for course, than out of the ordinary.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

Depends on the master. Plenty sell for almost nothing. Supply and demand I guess.
  6. Meirril Well-Known Member

Probably my own posts in this thread 2 years ago? Back then the price of a krono tripled every year consistently for 3 years. In the last year its gone to x6 with the possibility of being higher.

This thread is getting rather old, and yet its still on topic.
  7. Regolas Well-Known Member

Although inflation has occurred, and plat bags and exploits have contributed. I think the main reason is purely supply and demand of kronos.

Plat infusing isn't the sink the devs hoped because it's not essential to beat the content. New gear and shineys have a shelf life for high prices until unlimited supply takes over and prices drop.

Krono supply isn't unlimited, people have to pay real dollars somewhere to bring them to the game. As time goes on, less people need/want to buy them to get plat, as they don't need anymore things that you buy with plat, so the supply shrinks and the prices rise.

A good example is ToT shineys. Once they could sell for tens of thousands of plat, now most are tiny amounts. Kronos always have the same demand, so continue to rise in price and rise faster when less are being bought onto the market for real dollars.
  8. Lucus Well-Known Member

kronos don't have the same demand all the time. when there are prestige servers demand and prices go up, if those servers ceased to exist prices would go down. i expect when event server closes that demand and prices will drop some.
    Finora likes this.
  9. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Just a thought, I know WoW has a krono type item you can (could) buy in game with in game money but sold by Blizzard itself. When I left 2 years ago or so, they were about 25k gold. I think I saw mention of 50k gold now from a guildie on a post on my ex guild WoW forum. If they were sold in game for plat from DBGs and yet also for real money, that would help. Yes, less profit in short term but as much of the actual in game money is used up to buy kronos, that would help stop the hyper inflation that is threatening to rise here. Last night on AB, kroon were on broker for 400k. There was 3 pages of kroon for sale earlier with 269k lowest. A few hours later, less than one page of Kronos for sale, lowest at 400k. I doubt 2 pages of sales were withdrawn...
  10. Lucus Well-Known Member

WoW has millions of subscribers so they can afford to do this and eat the loss of profit for a bit of reputation gain, we don't know how many subs EQ2 has since they never release their figures so i highly doubt they would throw away profit for reputation when they ultimately answer to an investment firm which desires to get as much money as possible out of DBG's games.
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

The players don't directly control the cost of the tokens, so comparing the inflation rate of WoW Tokens and Daybreak Krono is comparing apples to oranges. Blizzard sets the price using some sort of algorithm that factors in supply and demand:

Q: How much gold will I receive when I sell a WoW Token?
    A: The gold value of a Token will be determined dynamically based on supply and demand. When you put a Token up for sale, you’ll be quoted the amount of gold you’ll receive upon a successful sale. If you then decide to place the Token up for sale, that amount is locked in, and the gold will be sent to your mailbox after another player purchases your Token.

Also, AFAIK Blizzard does NOT sell Tokens for game gold, the players do that after purchasing them with $$. See the Token FAQ if you're interested in more detail.
  12. semisus Does not play this game

when someone buys up large quantities of kronos across all servers and not caring about the cost , then you know something is up , kronos went from 200k to 300k in like 5 days
  13. Magic Missiles Active Member

I agree they seem expensive now, and the price keeps going up, but why do people even care so much?
    Those who think they are way overpriced on the broker should buy a few now from DBG and sell them in game.
    Those that think they are still cheap as chips on broker should buy them and hold, spend, or resell.
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

People that are buying them for the subs aren't going to buy them for money and sell them for plat.. it's cheaper to buy a sub...
    A good friend of mine can't afford a sub right now. He'd just acquire enough plat (when they were 75k) and ended up in the hospital for a few months. When he came back 3 weeks ago, the prices were 250k+. I don't see how any 1 person playing a single account can make that kind of plat every month w/o selling loot rights...

I don't use krono, but I can understand the frustration with the insane inflation.
  15. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm in the Weimar republic during the time of the hyperinflation after WW I. That got so bad, it was quipped you took your money to the store in a wheelbarrow and took your food home in your wallet.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  16. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

It's gonna crash. It almost has to. There is a price where players say it just not worth it...
  17. Elostirion Well-Known Member

That wasn't a quip. My great grandparents were there.

Between June and November 1921 Germany experienced 2,880,000% real inflation.
    From November 1921 to December 1922 real inflation went up another 35,000%.

But 1923 was the really bad year. Between January and November there was 57,000,000,000% inflation. Note the absence of "real". That's because we don't have pricing data for that period, only currency data. So the real inflation number probably has between 2 and 4 extra zeroes in it.

Now remember that this is over a period of 17 months. WoW has been out for 13 years now, and has had an average monthly inflation rate of 117%. That's monthly. I quit studying this game a few years ago so I don't have good data anymore.

Someone said a few pages ago that the inflation boat already sailed. I respectfully offer this alternate depiction of the inflation vessel:

[IMG]
  18. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

The broker is your friend. So are your guildies. I have a couple who help out every once and a while with cheap kronos or selling stuff for some when they cannot use the broker. There are ways to get around it if they are actually trying to keep a sub going. I don't SLR ever and can keep up with them on the broker. I know on my server I make roughly 20-40k a day just from selling on the broker. They can even offer up some plat for helping them out. I had to do this when I returned from the fallen Deathtoll and realized that kronos went from 8k to 30+. The trick to the whole thing is to find what gives medium returns quickly. If you go for high dollar items you will most likely spend lots of time just to get very few.
    Prissetta likes this.
  19. Wulfhammer Active Member

Glad I sub - All this wailing and gnashing of teeth is funny.
  20. Finora Well-Known Member

This exactly. I don't know what all the fuss is about honestly. If you think kronos cost too much, don't buy them. The price will eventually come down. If it doesn't, you can always just pay for your sub with real money instead /shrug. If for whatever reason you can't afford it this month, drop to F2P until you can.

It seriously is NOT this big of a deal.
    Lucus and Mizgamer62 like this.