New Guild Halls...too expensive

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vunder, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I have yet to see a guild spring for a domain or hosting service that charges $400 up front.
    It really is quite different.
    This would be the equivalent of the service they are already using offering a redundant sub-service they already had for free (like the regular guild halls), but it looks different, so the business wants $300 for the "basic" addition (which is just a different look, but nothing else is different from the free service) and $450 for the "deluxe", which has one benefit that will most likely be next to useless for most of the members.
    Meanwhile, a guild mate (or hired decorator... for in-game currency) could decorate one of the free guild halls in such a way it looks like a whole different instance.
    So how does that sound like it's worth $350 or $400?

(And the ownership is a legitimate worry. People get crazy when real money is involved, and guild drama was already a nightmare.)
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  2. Slipshod Active Member

Been thinking about it. I think maybe there is a way to make $ off of guild halls. How about this: We allow a decorator to buy a guild hall so that they can decorate it. Then they can publish it so a guild can visit it etc. to see if they like it. If they want to buy it - they buy a token from the cart, and use it. It allows them to buy a copy of the guild hall the decorator decorated only this time they can actually use it on a live server. A portion of the sale should go to the decorator. Further, we really could make DBG some cash buy pretty much allowing ANY prestige house that HAS been decorated to become a guild hall in this manner.
    Griffon Lady and Prissetta like this.
  3. Ishuna Well-Known Member

A few years ago, they were going to do something like this, or talked about it. I can't remember the details. It wasn't for guild halls, but buying pre decorated houses(?) I really have a terrible memory :| I don't know what became of that but it does show that sort of thing may be possible.
    Siren, Griffon Lady and Prissetta like this.
  4. Xakrein Well-Known Member

This post may provide some measure of insight:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...decorating-sale-too.5632/page-10#post-5985990
    Ishuna likes this.
  5. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I remember that now, I had forgotten about it. My wife was very excited by the idea.

I'm not sure what the current state of things is in Landmark, but people can sell and trade templates of things they've built there. At one time I recall there being issues about how everything was being kept track of, and over there I believe the game can actually monitor every voxel added to a build and who did it. I imagine this would be a nightmare for the devs in EQ2 but it would have been good for the decorators if they could have made it work.

I'm not sure about how selling decorated $400 guild halls, which would likely cost even more, would go over, though.
    Tekka and Ishuna like this.
  6. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

That actually made it all the way to Test server (ANd it was so popular! I never was fast enough to buy a house! XD)

It was only for houses (although I'm sure GHs would have been involved eventually). It was for real money (Through Player Studio), so the fighting got intense over whether or not to allow people to save layouts after buying a pre decorated house. The main worry was that people would buy a house from a talented decorator, then copy the layout and sell it as their own (probably cheaper). And on the other side of the argument, who wants to buy a house that you can't add your own personal touch to via a bit of renovation here and there? (Layouts have to be saved to use the external editor or numpad to get precise placements, like seamless tiles.)

I don't think selling pre-decorated guild halls would be a good idea though. It comes back to the problem of guild drama, and like the idea of these way over-priced guild halls. (Not to mention intensifies the avenues mischief/hackers can take.)
    Ishuna likes this.
  7. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

To be completely blunt, regarding decorated halls for sale? The time it'd take to decorate it would be well...a lot. Cost prohibitive. I can easily see a designer spending forty hours on a GH if it wasn't ornate. If it's amazing and totally different then the sky is the limit. We put hundreds of man hours into our GB on AB.
    Belenos and Griffon Lady like this.
  8. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

XD I bought a T4 shortly after they came out and I STILL haven't finished decorating it. >.> In fact, pretty much all I have finished is the crafting area/tropical island.
    One of these days I'll get it finished... >.> ...or one of these years. XD

You know what I WOULD pay a couple/few hundred bucks for? A 3d print (in color) of one of my decorated homes. XD I'd love to have my little ice cream parlor in a case for my IRL home, not much bigger than a hat box. Could have a 3d screenshot somehow added to the game (something that merges all the separate pieces into single objects along the surfaces that are truly exterior and not overlapped/hidden) so we could order 3d printed characters, rooms (preferably with a way to crop the 3d screenshot down to whatever size/area we like, incase we only decorated one room in a house. Maybe even an editor tool in the 3d screenshot to allow us to divide the home into separate sections so we can add hinges later to open and display it.), items, mounts, mobs, etc... price varying on how much of the 3d printer material needed and the shipping/handling (taxes where applicable). Could do it in color for extra, or "paint your own" for a bit less.

>.> Buuut I'm guessing there wouldn't be enough people interested to justify the time needed to make a program for the 3d screenshots, muchless the hardware, shipping supplies, and space needed. But a gal can dream, can't she?
  9. Omshanti Member

Ok, so I completely agree that the price (for a small guild) is huge. I also admit that we bought it... yup. We did. My husband and I have a 2 man guild, just some a place that has all the amenities (home base) without all the drama. We have a ton of alts. The dragon xp potion was the selling point. We were pretty let down (angry even) when we found out that the potion is only once a week instead of once a day like we had been lead to believe from other forum posts. Also, most of the hall is bugged when trying to place items/ amenities. I can't even decorate the damn thing because items disappear. So.... fix it! This was a HUGE expense to not even work right.
    Tekka, Prissetta and Avahlynn like this.
  10. Tekka Well-Known Member

Item placement in the new halls still hasn't been fixed?
  11. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

So you are buying an achievement with RL dollars? That doesn't make it any more palatable.
    Avahlynn, Castegyre, Jaden and 2 others like this.
  12. Kurogo Active Member

Late to the topic, but figured I'd add my voice to the disappointment. I was looking forward to prestige guildhalls on the MP, but at this price that flame has died. I'm also not really looking forward to any sales that will bring these prices down. Not unless it's a 75% off sale. $400 for something that should have been included in the $80 collectors upgrade to the expansions that introduced those zones is quite unreasonable. It doesn't matter how many people you can dupe into pitching in for it, because you can apply that to everything else on the MP, and everything else isn't nearly as gouged as these.
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Have these guild halls ever been fixed? I know folks were having issues with the halls being buggy.
    Tekka likes this.
  14. Slipshod Active Member

Where can I buy one of those "thread-lock" tokens? Seriously. I would buy them by the handful....
  15. Omshanti Member

So... update (and If I missed some major announcement about this, sorry!)... It appears that item placement in the Skyshrine Hall has been fixed. Yay!
    Prissetta and Lucus like this.
  16. Omshanti Member

Oh, and Thank you DBG for sneaking this one in /hugs!
    Prissetta likes this.