How come Everquest has so many....

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Thogul, May 19, 2016.

1. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

It totally did. And it wasn't pre-launch.
    suka likes this.
  2. Azian Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm finding this a bit amusing or perhaps bemusing would be a more accurate word to choose.

Feldon has already provided links in this thread with accurate information. During the aftermath of the hack, SOE was taken down on 5/2/2011 and restored 5/14/2011. I'm not a mathematician but I count 12 days there. So, now that we've cleared up that the game was NOT down for two months as a result of that particular hack, I'd be happy as a clam to admit I'm wrong if someone can refer me to some OTHER instance that had the game down for anything remotely resembling 60 days.

If this duration in question was even close I wouldn't have bothered replying in the first place. If the real number was 2 weeks and the person I quoted had said 3 weeks I wouldn't have bothered. If the real duration was 6 weeks and the poster had stated 2 months, again, no problem. 12 days and 2 months are just waaaaaaaaay too far apart to not warrant a correction. There's mild exaggeration or rounding and then there is flat out inaccurate. IMO, 2 months pretty clearly falls into the latter category in this case. I didn't call the poster a liar or stupid or a bad person and if that's how they took it then I apologize to Meneltel. What I did do is point out, correctly, that what they stated didn't happen. There has not been a time when EQ2 has been down for two months since launch.

This has become fairly silly that it keeps coming up so I likely won't respond further in this thread (on this issue at least). We're definitely getting derailed from the OP's point.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

i am not the one that stated 2 months. you will have to ask the person who stated that. if it goes more than two weeks, that becomes several in my mind.

what i took exception to was the "it never happened" part. if you are gong to dispute the length of time, you should only dispute that instead of a blanket statement "it never happened" - because it did happen
    Sejreia and MalcolmXBox like this.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

first - this is not aimed at you specifically- i did notice your apology but you could have clarified that it wasn't as long instead of flat out saying it didn't happen.
    i do notice how often people jump on a statement and continue to berate the person.

so someone said it was down for two months and it was established that it was only 12 days. what is the big deal here pray tell? are we now swallowing camels and choking on gnats? how is such a discrepancy in the time even relevant to the thread? or is this everyone's way of derailing it. the poor poster is by now probably regretting even saying anything.

why is it that on these threads everyone feels the need to constantly run down everything someone says and exaggerate it as they go- like this person who originally made the mistake in the time is now your whipping boy? do you have to nitpick people who dare to post? why????
    MalcolmXBox and Prissetta like this.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

amen
    i so very much agree
  6. suka Well-Known Member

most aren't making high level judgements. they are stating the obvious from their own experience. if you have been paying attention, you will realize that there have been mistakes made in the past by the company. some of those they chose to fix because the players were so vocal about them. others they try to sweep under the rug.

every company will make mistakes. denying that or refusing to state it or see it doesn't change anything. and the consumers - i.e those who pay the bills- have every right to state when a mistake has been made and to even criticize it. what they don't have the right to do is continuously run the company down. if a company is so bad that they can't see the positives, maybe they should rethink their association with that company and move on.

but i so far have not seen high level judgements from players. there are, however, players who work in similar fields who have made statements about things going on. these are not judgements, but rather statements of fact. and all of those people have also spoken out favorably and explained to us why some things couldn't be changed or why they felt the mistakes were made. so i really don't understand your statement. mind explaining?

as for the comparison, yeah it shouldn't be based on server count and i am pretty certain that was not how it was meant. but these two games are not apples and oranges. eq1 is like the ancient history that you get to go back and play. if you follow the lore, eq2 was 500 years later and was more of a "what could have happened" path, leaving room for another game of "what also could have happened". somewhere in that history, later than 500 years ago, the universe took a spin and changed norrath into several pockets of dimensions. the result of one of those was eq2.
    Prissetta likes this.
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

You can put here the name of any company, Microsoft, Sun Microsystems, Hewlett-Packard, Atari, Blizzard, Bethesda, Apple, etc... If it didn't happen to Microsoft or Apple yet, it will happen tomorrow.
    Prissetta and suka like this.
  8. Thogul Member

Well...Well....well POOP! ROFLMAO
  9. Azian Well-Known Member

Ok, hitting me directly is prompting the further response.

Certainly, you must be right, if only I had said something like:

Are you sure about that? I ask as you certainly continued to use "you" an awful lot in your response.

So, since this didn't happen, how is it relevant in the thread?

Suka, I'm going to take the position that this game comes out with a new expansion roughly once every four years. What? You tell me it has one every year? Well, you are certainly choking on gnats! Some reasonable degree of accuracy is important.

I would like to introduce you to a mirror.

Again, I note the usage of "you" and "your" in this. When did I, or anyone else in this thread for that matter, do anything remotely resembling your description here? If you are going to say that 60 days vs.12 days in this context is just splitting hairs then we are simply going to have to agree to disagree. I don't entirely disagree with your overall premise but simply feel that you've chosen the wrong time to grind this particular axe.

Alright then, I promise this is my last response. You get to have your last word now if you care to. Or, we can let the thread move on.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

You will notice I made that comment going by what my friends (who are long gone) told me before I joined EQ2. I was not playing EQ at the time either, being totally away from a computer (called at Home with parents, the Dark Ages). So I was wrong. I might be able to find the email from them, but they didn't look at a calender either, just was giving me a frame of reference.

From now on, I wont give any time frame of any event I did not personally experience and double check to make sure my faulty memory is correct.

For those who were mislead by my incorrect statement, I will take 100 lashes by a wet limp noodle... but no sauce on it!
    suka and Tohopka like this.
  11. Tohopka Active Member

Wow, this thread really derailed itself. Everyone play nice. I took a break when that fiasco happened and like Suka said it was only a couple weeks. We all have to remember things can be taken out of context alot. Sometimes its easier to start something with IMHO.....or something.

Anyways, back to topic who remembers when you had to do all 5 attributes ....Str, Agi, Wis, Int and Sta....I miss those days :(
    Thogul and suka like this.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

i remember, in eq1, when to get up my attributes, i sat in a mana pool so i wouldn't run out of mana, pulled up a pet, and cast spell after spell repeatedly until they were maxed. i used low level spells. i even introduced my four year old niece to the game by letting her hit the spells for me when my hands got tired
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Rargo Active Member

Ok I will throw in my 3 cents worth. Been here almost since the beginning. Started out playing the demo and after 2 weeks thought this is different, kind of like it. . Never played a MMO before - or since. Meet a friend in the 1st week.. still friends with them. Players were everywhere back then.
    Not much advertising, just a few write ups in the gamer mags. Bought a computer just to play - I was hooked.
    Tried to get my friends to play.. they tried and left. To much to do they said. Can't keep up.
    I watched peeps leave, guilds evaporate but I played on.
    This is a game. A time killer. I play to relax and clear my head from work. Years later I still love the game. Built another computer, now playing max settings at high frame rates. Game has never looked better. The artwork and zones are amazing.
    Still can't get anyone to play.
    This game is unknown to most gamers. People ask me what I play and they have no idea what it is. Makes me sad.
    I have over a year of actual play time. Doing what? Questing, shiny hunting.. bumming around looking for new gear.
    Have over 1000 collections. My gear is maxed out - for me. I'm a solo player. Never raided. Don't know how to tank a group. Never played an alt.
    Will I give up and quit.. nope. Love my game time. Play almost every day.
    Because I have fun. Take my money and keep the server on.
  14. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I would like to reserve rights to exaggerate things, be emotional and say some unverified ideas and facts from time to time. According to my personal experience it is quite alright to do it on game forums. We are not robots or computers, fortunately :)
    suka likes this.
  15. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Getting Evocation up by nuking my pet (as a SK) since it was my only undead nuke (and only DD spell I had) so I would sit in Neriak and cast it (Fizzle, fizzle, fizzle away half my mana bar) to sit and med for 15 minutes while I did something IRL. Then check back, cast a few more fizzles to empty my mana and repeat.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

yeah that's why i went to the guild hall to do it- sitting on a ride in the mana pool allowed me to keep my mana built up
  17. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Well, when I did it, there wasn't even a PoK... *blushes and hides in shadows*
    Jaden, suka and Tohopka like this.
  18. Thogul Member

I miss them too. I also miss when crafting was just a bit more complex. Color me clinically insane, but I enjoyed making arrow heads and the like. Sub-combines were fun.
    suka and Tohopka like this.
  19. Tohopka Active Member

oh wow, I forget the acronym for it but I remember those days too, and die'n at the crafting stations. Those were the days. Like i said earlier in thread. IMHO I wish they would just revert to those stats instead. It was alot of fun knowing wis raised your resist and str raised your attack rating.
    Another game I played changed that kinda stuff and calls it mastery now. It makes easier cause you have to concentrate on other things instead but the way its dealt with still doesn't make you feel all an mighty powerful but at the same you are. Other thing I really love with it is they introduced level sync to worlds. So if your above level you are auto tuned down to the max level of that area.
    suka likes this.
  20. Hanokh Member

Taking away the isles and suburbs was a huge mistake that was partially rectified today. Smokejumper nearly killed the game by making "The Golden Path" with terrible starting zones, overpowered gear and meaningless leveling. It seems as the current dev team understands this even if they come up with crazy things like resolve. Its kinda like one step forward two back situation.
    Prissetta likes this.