Resolve

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by knine, Apr 22, 2016.

1. RedBB Active Member

Yes I was referring to MC as a prime example. Tepid depths is another good example. Uzulu. Don't get me wrong I can truly appreciate progressive difficulty. I quite enjoy it. But to add a stat that can easily be thrown out of whack by a handful of players super geared without any QA feedback or input. Well you can see where this is going. I'm glad that if they are going to push forward despite the mountain of objections on a simple "it will be ok wait and see", that they do so in a manner that lets us test drive before hand. But I am extremely skeptical.

See, I remember the KoS days where the raiders did the testing and the solo players got the shaft when the entire combat system got tweaked to where you died to triple down greens in 2 hits. I remember the ninja nerf to the proc system. I remember 3 stat revamps. I remember spending 6months at a time in a broken class. So yeah call me paranoid but its for a good reason.
  2. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I read whole tread and still a little bit confused
    Correct me if I wrong
    a) Resolve is more "raid combined parameter" rather then individual? in other words say 2 person one with 10 resolve and other with zero will effectively do same damage/receive same damage as a group of 2 people who have 5+5 resolve?
    b) Resolve as combine parameter for raid is not stack - in other words if you have say 3 conjuror and 3 beast lords for raid total will contribute only 1 beastlord and only 1 conjuror (I assume with highest resolve)
    c) The way is new raid bosses operate - combine resolve of the raid should exceed certain threshold and it will be mostly depend on quality gear (read mythical>ethereal>relic>fabled raid=meta collection>fabled heroic=legendary heroic>quest=collection=AS. By doing so even if heroic gear about as good as raid (stat wise) it will be inferior on resolve (hence promoting getting raid gear over heroic regardless).
    d) individual value of resolve not really important - check made for group encounter vs. combined group resolve and raid encounter vs. combined raid resolve - this effectively eliminate ability certain classes to solo heroics and doing 4x encounters with 2 group (like Lyrical in Maldura x4)
  3. Odur27 Member

this may be already in the works, and it may already have been said however I shall go over the following points anyway just in case.
    I am not against resolve, but if the history of the game has anything to teach us certain things may need to be addressed to make resolve fully viable.

1. Smart loot: it wasn't ever fool proof but it worked well enough. Making sure items drop based on the need of the players present at the raid to reduce unneeded gear dropping. This is part of what made crit mit viable back in the day from SoF on till it was removed. Brawler gear dropping when there isn't even a brawler in raid is just holding back the gear progression that will be needed henceforth. The same goes for Block Plate, majority of tanks I know won't even consider wearing it.

2. Loot per kill: Right now as it stands it's acceptable. When you add this new mechanic into the mix I can see it becoming an issue. We have many main members (roughly 60%) in our guild who have been present at almost every raid since ToT was released with a 3 raid night schedule missing 3-5 pieces of raid armor. So I see that as something that might need to be looked at.
    Daalilama likes this.
  4. Nkito Well-Known Member

My understanding is we each have our own resolve number and damage incoming/outgoing is based on this value relative to the encounter npc resolve number. The stacking in a raid is simply a 10 resolve raid buff each person gets that can add 10 resolve to each member.
    Mermut likes this.
  5. Yoube Active Member

Hey, here's a thought.... Does this Resolve buff take up a concentration slot?

I mean, there are certain classes that can get away with giving up a concentration slot but then there are others who might be in a bind :rolleyes:
  6. Gninja Developer

It does not.
  7. Regolas Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see it:

Will all names have resolve or just raid names?
  8. Gninja Developer

Solo creatures will not have resolve for this update. Everything else will but only the stuff in the GU100 Zek zones.
  9. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

10. Orval New Member

Patch notes on Mercs and resolve? Must of forgot.
  11. Estal Well-Known Member

Adding new stats is like adding another layer of paint on a wall that has a mould problem.
    Why not fix the wall underlying stats system instead?
    Because the remaining handful of devs already have a to do pile that reaches to luclin and back.

While Resolve may be far from perfect we will just have to live with it.
    Livejazz likes this.
  12. Avithax Well-Known Member

Sounds like they needed to make tougher encounters for this GU without adding Adv levels or a complete change of gear. I'm going to stay on the fence about this "Resolve" for now because it does seem to be the lesser of many evils.

Given the turn over rate of raid rosters now days though, i really hope Resolve doesn't mean having to farm old stuff every time you get a new member like crit mit required us to.
  13. Jaden Well-Known Member

Avithax said, "...i really hope Resolve doesn't mean having to farm old stuff every time you get a new member like crit mit required us to."

*Grins evilly...jes' like earning, *ahem*, the 'keys' to the Planes back in old Norrath: over, and over and over again...
  14. Kander Developer

You shouldn't have to do any more gearing than you would normally do. As we stated in the patch notes, Resolve has been added to the gear you already have from Terrors of Thalumbra.
  15. Daalilama Well-Known Member

As a raid leader and a healer the new resolve stat does have me bit worried....seeing shades of crit mit/crit avoid back in the game now matter how "low" the amounts reminds me of SF when they started playing around with crit mit (yes I know crit mit came in I believe in TSO but at such low levels it was meh) but remember DoV took crit mit to full ****** mode...my concern is I read next expansion this is coming in in typical gangbuster style....and this update is to "tweak" it....so yeah I'm somewhat apprehensive about enduring yet another DoV rehash.

Raids are by no means like they were a number of years ago...guilds which never had issues filling a roster are struggling to raid on their own or forming alliances with other guilds and yet still having issues....Resolve or crit mit 2.0 has the potential to seriously cause massive loss of raiders...it's not the immediate situation that's concerning well it is but its debatable...its the plans for next xpac and beyond with this stat.
  16. Ratitz Active Member

Just curious, how much resolve are we expected to gain from the raid buff that each classes have, in comparison to gear?
    Ex: If a mob has a X resolve requirement, we are expected to gain Y resolve from gear, and Z resolve from the buff.

What does Z equal, considering that we can currently have a max of 128 resolve from T3 raid gear? (slots=21 T3 armor resolve grants 6, accounting for a couple pieces that have 7; 21x6+2=128)
  17. Mogrim Well-Known Member

I believe this new resolve stat makes using 14 Brigands much less advantageous. Well played.
    Genghes likes this.
  18. Genghes Active Member

Hahahaha
    Jaden likes this.
  19. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

I feel like I've gone back in time, it's 2008 and I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online again.

Anyone here have a history with LotRO? Remember Radiance?

LotRO raid mobs had this stat called Gloom. Too much Gloom and your character would cower, which made you do less damage to the mob. Cowering also reduced your defenses, so you took more damage as well.

But, you could acquire gear that had Radiance on it. Get enough Radiance to counteract the levels of Gloom, an you could continue to fight at your normal efficiency.

Is this starting to sound eerily familiar? Want to know how well Gloom/Radiance worked?

http://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/new-lotro-dev-diary-bids-farewell-to-radiance
    Livejazz and Finora like this.
  20. Silzin Active Member

After a night of raiding the new zone(s) the way it looks like Resolve works is as i was afraid of.
    - the raid only gains benefit from only 1 player of each class at a time. So having more then 1 of each class can give up to a -15 Resolve to the raid...
    -the raid mobs have enough that you do need to worry about it...
    - the numbers from the Resolve buff is between 5, 10 and 15 based on class. Randomly it seems. the numbers on one persons Resolve buff is greater then the upgraded raid gear in the new zones.
    - the Resolve needed goes from 260 up throw 310 on just the first 3 mobs that i have seen.

this all means that the Resolve as a mechanic will not force players out of the most powerful gear of last Xpac, it will just force guilds to have the max combination of Random Classes for raid....

This is not going to work, PLEASE explain for us your thinking behind Resolve and what you to trying to FIX?
    Livejazz and -Soteria- like this.