Crash to Desktop

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Dienekes, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Dienekes New Member

Hi, I just started playing EQ2 . I'm randomly crashing to desktop multiple times while I play throughout the day. I don't get any error message or prompt afterwards like normal applications. Happens randomly, sometimes after 30 minutes of game play sometimes hours. Is there a way to prompt an error message to see whats wrong?
  2. Dolphinsgal Active Member

I'm not sure that you can get an error message for the random crashes, sometimes I crash with an error message sometimes not. A lot of people are having this issue, there are a few possibilities of why it happens but I don't think anyone knows for sure why it happens. I know some have liked their crashes to using the in game browser, others think it's something to do with windows 10 there are others but I can't remember why. I have noticed if I use the in game browser I crash more than when I don't. I haven't noticed a change in the frequency of crashes with windows 10. What I have noticed with windows 10 is that the game seems to run faster and the graphics are better, but that may just be me.
    I tend to crash less when I totally shut my computer down between playing. It also seems the longer I'm playing the more likely it is I'll crash.
    If you list your operating system and hardware someone might be able to help more than me. I'm just sharing what I remember from other threads.
    Dienekes likes this.
  3. Dienekes New Member

Thanks for the reply. I haven't upgraded to 10 yet though. I have used the browser but only one out of maybe 30 crashes was while it was open. Hmm
  4. Dienekes New Member

I haven't done the full install, I'll try that later.
  5. Dolphinsgal Active Member

When I crash to desktop it's usually 30-60min after using the in game browser, it rarely happens while it's open. That's why I'm not sure if it's that but it seems to happen that way when it's been used.
    I didn't even think about the full install but that's how I have my game. The only real downside is the time it takes to fully download it first. After they do updates on Tues or any day there's an update it'll have to install the updates fully before I can play but zoning and moving around seems smoother, less lag time and less freezing.
    I hope the game stops crashing on you as it's a really fun game to play, it's an addiction for me now :))
  6. Vunder Well-Known Member

100% lost on how you guys are opening the ingame browser. Does that open in full window mode? When I open browser it opens firefox in another window. I thought for sure the ingame browser was removed and it just targets your default windows browser.
  7. Dolphinsgal Active Member

I only play in windowed mode these days and use the in game browser when looking something up. If I use my normal browser my game window resizes itself and I can't click or play until I x out of the game and relaunch the game. I use the command /browser and a new browser pops up in my game screen. The downside to using it is that the ad's on websites are horrible which seems to cause a lag issue and my game tends to crash 30-60min later.
  8. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I have never used in-game browser if there's any.
    But I surely use EQ2 in windowed mode, MS Outlook to read my email, Internet Explorer to browse Internet and any other program that I'd like to have at the moment, provided that this program does not require gigabytes of memory. I use all program simultaneously every day. I switch between programs using Taskbar. Very easy and comfortable.
    EQ2 runs smoothly and without crashes on my 23 inch screen (single-monitor, not a dual).

I think the key is: at least 6 GB or RAM, good video card with updated drivers, stable Internet connection.
    Prissetta likes this.
  9. flameweaver Well-Known Member

The rubbish in-game browser is available by using /browser
  10. Thunuderfueler Member

I have 16G of ram,3G dual core processor 2G video memory(GTX650). I use my Firefox browser while in windowed mode to look up things and order pizza. Windows 10 OS. I sill have problems crashing to desktop or client failure or unrecoverable error. I have recently had to delete the launchpad logincache folder just to get back in the game. My theory is that it is a launchpad problem. Another thing I have noticed is that all this ramped up from an occassional crash to 3-4 times per 8 hour session and started that day that Rum Cellar "campaign" was launched.