Let's start a Norrathian Homeshow Showcase

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by suka, Feb 29, 2016.

1. suka Well-Known Member

years ago, Afista used to do the Norrathian Homeshow Showcase. She would post to the homeshow asking us to nominate a decorator of the month and we would do so. once my toon Aerfren won. Now however, the devs are understaffed and so there hasn't been a showcase in months.

some of us were discussing this on another thread. What we are suggesting is that on each server, people (it can be more than one) who enjoy touring and want to write, get together and put a question in this thread (or can start a thread for each server) asking for people to nominate someone on their server for a decorator of the month showcase. then contact that decorator with a list of questions, talk to people who nominated them, and write an article with favorite screenshots from the owners. i have included Aerfren's story to get you started and give you ideas of what to ask.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/aerfrens-decorating-secrets-revealed.553953/

the reason we are thinking one for each server is because there are so very many decorators out there we would love to see showcased. to limit it to one for the game, while understandable for one person doing it all, would hardly make it possible to see more than 12 in a year for the whole game. this way it will be 12 for each server.

i will start with the first nomination.

We have a ton of wonderful decorators on Majdul. we wouldn't be able to touch even 1 percent of them in a year. but to start us off, i recently met a most unusual couple. they had been married in eq1. i spent the evening exploring their houses and was amazed by their creativity and imagination. they have several houses under the names of different toons. Rainmare and Justwysper are the awesome couple and i would love to see them showcased in the forums
  2. Vichane Well-Known Member

If i can nominate people from Antonia Bayle Server..it'd be Delepitore, Hilan and Arseni for their marvelous designs!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've passed the word on the old post (yeah, reanimated the zombie, but for a good cause); we'll see what becomes of that. ;->

Uwk
    Kittybock, Prissetta and suka like this.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

who would you nominate uwk? i think we should make it a rule that if they have been showcased before they shouldn't be showcased again, although we might want to link their old showcase the way i did aerfren's
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Errrr....who all did we showcase last time, besides Aerfren? :-/

Uwk
    Kittybock likes this.
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great idea, suka. I think maybe you should start from scratch, meaning if they had been showcased previously, they could still be showcased again, but once showcased from here on out, not showcased again, in order to give others the opportunity to be showcased. (Lol, such a redundant sentence, that.)

As for whom I would nominate, I will have to think on that. I only have house touring characters on other servers, but would definitely nominate Elduren from Splitpaw. I would also nominate Vasciagio on Maj'dul, for his series of Everfrost homes he is currently working on. I've toured some of those homes and they are quite amazing. I can think of a home on Antonia Bayle server I randomly visited that I would nominate and another on Maj'dul server I randomly visited, but I don't know that either of those decorator's still play or are even aware of these forums. Obviously these few that I am thinking of don't even begin to touch the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

I haven't the foggiest idea on where you would begin with something like this, or what sort of rules would need to be in place as to how to even qualify for a nomination, or if any/all published homes would qualify. Perhaps only decorator's who have a newly published home within the last two months...to ensure the person being recognized is recently actively playing? Is there a way to tell how long it's been since a home was published? These are just some ideas, which of course, could be modified/rejected, as I'm only trying to help. :)
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I think the "start from scratch" helps with the idea. :)

Another thing I might suggest is put out a call for "the Old Guard" and see if any of them are still active, like the incomparable Tock and others. If nothing else, it might encourage them to emerge from the woodwork again. :)

Absolutely! Big darn time; second that motion...basically, you beat me to it. He has other aliases here and there, so nail him down for all of them. ;->

More folks on Splitpaw are wonderful; Quirrah also leaps to mind. :)

There are also folks on Storms, Valor, and Sebilis that have done amazing stuff; haven't heard much from the others. :-/

Not to blow our own horn, but on Halls of Fate, our beloved guild leader for Surreal, Valzen, has done some pretty amazing stuff! :D

Boglilly/Sapphirius and her mad monk squad of decoratin' alts; Tenchigirl15; and Sigrdrifa (though she may be busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger with everything else); I'll hunt up which servers they're currently on... Ah. Sapph's on Maj'Dul, last I knew (wait; AB?); Tenchi's on AB, Halls of Fate, and Skyfire...Sigrd's on Maj'dul.

I'm sure Niboota could also come up with a few (just came up with these off the top of my head since I'd seen them recently; my rote memory's abysmal, so don't think I'm trying to slight anyone [oh! Kittybock! and Spextasy! Of course!]!), seeing as how she's gotten probably more (or at least, as much) in-depth, up close and personal peeks at wonderful places, and could recommend winners of her contests, and could possibly help with rules suggestions, too. :)

I'm not sure that publishing or not would matter, or even winning a lot of contests/challenges, just a general overview of awesomeness. ;->

Uwk
  8. suka Well-Known Member

yes we would want them to actively be playing and with several people willing to participate, it wouldn't have to be limited to once a month. there was one series of homes on maj'dul that has just been released that is on the theme of hogwarts university. another thing to keep in mind is it is the decorator and not so much the owner. like Ceyarrecks is an awesome decorator. he decorated several of my homes in a themed way and we did this tour of our homes that included my museum of crafted armor, a museum and library he did and two retreats, and a safe jump that we did together. i would love to see him get showcased.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

that would be another idea for a separate showcase uwk - guild halls. they are awesome and would deserve their own showcase and their own titles.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

and there are so many museums- remember the one of coaches? we have some newer decorators too. i visited a house on splitpaw once that was a huge ball suspended in the air made out of mats - it was awesome. there is just so much talent and untapped potential in this game
  11. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Any way to tie this in with guide home tours? Norika has been leading these on Halls of Fate, and we've seen some amazing homes!
  12. suka Well-Known Member

that will be up to her if she wants to link this thread to hers. i am open to anyone who wants to do anything related to this
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

Does Norika have a separate thread for her tours, other than the guide forums? I totally missed her tour on the 26th, and I feel so bad as she was supposed to tour one of my homes that day. I did not see any reminder announcements about it and I had a lot going on at that time, so I forgot all about it. I think it would be awesome if she would consider linking her tours to this showcase thing though.
  14. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Merriel, I've seen her posts about home tours here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/guide/index.php?threads/halls-of-fate-guide-events.5339702/page-14

I don't know if she posts anywhere else. I agree - linking the tours and the showcase should benefit both!
    Merriel, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

come to think of it, the guide threads are totally separate from our threads. i don't think they can be linked. also i don't think her tours can be linked with player created showcases. i will ask, but i think it is against one of the rules

kk i sent a pm to her asking. would be nice if we could get niboota to participate too.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

yeah i missed it too. i felt bad about it but it was one of those things when you plan on something and then something happens in real life and you don't get to get on.
  17. Spextasy Well-Known Member

I would like to nominate Linlainu and Eryn for Maj'Dul! They both do such fabulous work, and their attention to detail and creativity always amazes me! :)
    ETA : I would also like to nominate Wizzam, who always does such marvellous and flawless homes!
  18. Eryn Well-Known Member

I like the idea of showcasing homes and such but how would voting/choosing who is being showcased each month come about? Would there be a new nomination thread per month or would we keep on using this one? I'd be interested in reading write ups about homes and all.

As for my nominations I nominate Linlainu and Shanette. They do such an amazing job with the in game editor you would swear they used the layout editor. I'd also like to nominate Wizzam because she's crazy good.

#peeposaur
  19. Badhealer Active Member

We have a lot of homes that are nothing short of works of art. I was thinking that a small committee on each server could decide which homes to showcase. The committee would be volunteers, not many would be willing to do the legwork involved. If someone becomes inactive, the committee would seek a new member. I feel large scale voting would make it a bit complex.

If we went with a committee, there are a lot of free collaboration/project management tools on the web that would make this much easier. Asana, Podia, Google Apps, Trello, and HipChat to name a few

What media/medium would showcase would work? The forums seem a bit awkward. It would be nice to quickly visit past issues, or house type.

There are a some very nice website for decorating that maybe the site owners would be willing to team up with people to do an ongoing showcase. I am just saying that we should not reinvent the wheel if there is already something out there.
    http://www.EQ2decorators.com(elayine@eq2decorators.com)
    http://www.eq2designgallery.com/(EQ2DesignGallery@bellsouth.net})
    http://www.eq2designers.com/
    http://eq2.eqtraders.com/

or even something on pinterest or facebook
  20. Merriel Well-Known Member

Personally, I would want to see this on the forums here, as this is the site dedicated to the game itself. I refuse to participate in anything from Facebook or any other 'anti-social' media site such as that, and there are many others who feel the same way I do about that. If others want to post a link to the thread showcasing the person who was elected in their facebook page or other site, I certainly would not object to that. Seeing as DBG is not willing to advertise the game, and we all love the game enough to want to keep it going for quite some time yet, a little free advertisement via these showcase threads being posted elsewhere for others to see might actually draw new players in even. Much as I hate to think that we, the players, should be doing DBG's dirty work for them...it may be one way to keep this beloved game around a while longer.