[Dev] Does "% increase all damage to target" have a cap?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Twisty, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Twisty Well-Known Member

With proliferation of items with effects like this:
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/371787832

that "increase all incoming damage to mob by 0.8%", and stack from multiple (potentially 24) people in raid, we need to know if there is an cap on how high the %increase can go. Can some dev please look up the skirt of the mechanics code responsible for it :)

related: if there is a hard cap, do the AA skills with incoming dmg-increase contribute to the same cap or on a separate cap (for example, Resist Break for Necromancer under Dragon tree)

thanx in advance!
  2. Twisty Well-Known Member

bump?
    this should be on every raider's mind this xpac
    Dreadtalon and Faelen like this.
  3. Flamace Active Member

what do you mean "this xpac"? Genra' ears (ToV).... Highhold ears (AoM, ToT) ;)
  4. Twisty Well-Known Member

I'm aware of how far this goes ;) however, i do mean "this xpac" because it's more relevant this xpac...

whatever the (presumed) cap was put in place when Dragon AAs and Genra ears came out, it's likely to have been tailored only with those things in mind because it was literally just 1 item for devs to consider. this xpac the "% incoming" items are ubiquitous, easily reaching ~2x the values of ToV days in raid without trying hard even. it wouldn't surprise me what-so-ever if that cap was completely forgotten about when all these new items were introduced.

so, this xpac i have significantly less confidence that all the additional "% incoming" items are actually doing anything useful. or rather this xpac i care because it's now a very likely reality.

without any easy way to reliably reverse-engineer the cap, i'd simply like to have the value told to us, so we can gear more intelligently as a raid.
  5. dkpc1983 Member

No declare, No cap.
  6. Loran Member

That is a terrible way to look at these mechanics.
  7. Twisty Well-Known Member

It'd be certainly foolish to assume that, but i sense sarcasm in original ;)

Regardless... we need dev answer puaaaese
  8. Twisty Well-Known Member

i see you lurking gninja! masses need enlightment
  9. Twisty Well-Known Member

pretty please, need cap info
  10. Eufelia Member

*bump*
    come on @gninja i know you want to lift this weight off your shoulders ;)
    *uses jedi mind trick* "this is the secret you want to disclose."
  11. Sudedor Well-Known Member

It's not even restricted to items. Mages have an ability in their Dragon tree called Resist Break that does the same thing, but it's focused on a particular type of damage.
  12. Twisty Well-Known Member

from OP:
    related: if there is a hard cap, do the AA skills with incoming dmg-increase contribute to the same cap or on a separate cap (for example, Resist Break for Necromancer under Dragon tree)
  13. Eufelia Member

*bump* again, for the coveted dev attention. :D
  14. Eufelia Member

15. Sudedor Well-Known Member

I would really like a Dev answer on this, it's a pretty important mechanic that has zero commentary from Developers so far.
  16. Eufelia Member

17. Liou_Unrest Active Member

My understanding, the cap is one effect per "type", per encounter.

So on one encounter (group or raid) you can only have 1 active of each effect. So it makes no sense past one person having the effect.
  18. Sudedor Well-Known Member

I appreciate the answer, but what gives you that impression? Was there a post about it? What is your understanding based on?
  19. Liou_Unrest Active Member

Seeing no difference in testing between 1 and 6 effects.
  20. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Ok, so what you're saying is that you've tested "Noxious Rending" (for instance) stacking with itself. Your tests say it does not, which is a nice starting point.

Did you test interaction of various named effects, for instance Noxious Rending and Anguish? There are numerous effects of this nature that are in question. I think that's really what folks are hoping to get an answer for. For instance, is there a 10% cap on overall damage increase? We don't know, but there are many, many effects out there that could, in combination, exceed a theoretical cap of 10%.
    Dreadtalon likes this.