Merge Downtimes: Crushbone, Butcherblock, and Oasis - Updates Inside!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Ceridwenn New Member

Current Que time : 4.5hours.... not a happy Everquester right now. This merge was the worst idea they've had so far!
  2. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Don't do the math... never do the math... ;)
  3. Kierukka New Member

5 hours 22 min..... Love it......
  4. Bladeblitz New Member

Hmm, this server que time has me puzzled. I have been a member since the beginning with EQ1 1999. So, having gone through major merges over the years; never I have seen even once a slight semblance of a que, until now. I would not be surprised if this becomes their permanent way to keep server traffic under the redline. I would even go as far to say this would be a measure against silver members. Their way of saying, "You don't pay! You have to wait in line to play."
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I paid for the expansion. That should count for something, but it clearly doesn't if this isn't resolved in time. With the way people jam in for the expansion releases, it probably won't be.

I've been a customer since 2000 and I'm truly blown away by all this.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  6. Phyr Member

i'ts been said more then once that this is Temp only.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

These people are famous for their use of the word "Soon", which can mean up to a few years or never, depending on what it is. Temporary is just another way of saying that. I've been through enough expansion releases and other events to know how big the population can get on a server. What they have going on will last quite some time. We don't even know when the next two merges will be. (Beta copy seems like it will take priority and need a fix before any more merges take place.) We also don't know if those will be any better or worse. Was this the smallest total population? No one has even addressed this other than in passing on a twitter reply.
  8. flameweaver Well-Known Member

I don't have a particular issue with allaccess players (me included) in by-passing a queue system, with f2p folks having to wait a short time, whilst there is a heavy demand on the game/login severs. When demand is low there should be no queue

However I do mean short, more than 10 minutes is excessive and 2-3 hours just plain outrageous. The only thing excessively long queues will achieve is to drive more players out of this game and elsewhere. Can DBG afford their loss ??

Mizgamer62, Juraiya and Finora like this.
  9. Badhealer Active Member

I was able to log on to the new server just fine with a FTP account last night and today. I did get kicked zoning once, but was able to get right back in. I did not experience any noticeable lag. It looks like they resolved any issues they were having breaking in the new equipment. :) :) :) Daybreak is doing an awesome job.
    Prissetta and Adevil like this.
  10. Livejazz Well-Known Member

Any word as to when the next merger will happen, & which servers will be involved? Even a "soon" will be nice.

But I'll be happier to hear that Freeport, at least, won't get merged until after the New Year. Sorry, Perm & Naggy, but I'm a selfish cat & don't care about you guys :p
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

They've said all merges will be before the expansion is released, but no more specific than that.
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Just 3 more weeks, so people can probably expect to be able to transfer about a week after the expansion hits*

*if they're all-access and can break through the queues. :rolleyes:
  13. Belenos Well-Known Member

I DO mind a queue of any kind whatsoever, simply because if it is needed once the "initial read" of characters data is done, then it means the servers have been merged into a server that is populated beyond the number of players it can handle at once--in other words, someone screwed up and we will now have a server that is way overpopulated and all the hell that goes with that condition.

Now I am far from being even moderately educated about "computer stuff" but logic tells me that DBG probably has no true control over how long queue times are, other than manipulating the greatest number of players allowed on the server. If the queue is set to say (made-up numbers for example only) a maximum of 3000 players, then when the number of players reaches 3000, the queue kicks in and does not allow anyone to log-on. From this point forward, any player that logs-off would allow another player to log-on. In other words, the player waiting in-queue is totally dependent on another player logging-out to make an available slot for them. That could be one minute or eight hours. DBG, or anyone else, can't control how long that will be, as long as the "cap" number of players allowed is not changed. The only way DBG could shorten the wait is by increasing the number of players allowed on the server at one time, and past a certain number, what is gonna happen? Lag, people fighting over limited resources, harvest nodes, quest mobs, contested dungeons, you name it.

I really hope the queue goes away and that DBG has not overdone it by throwing way too many people together on each server, but as the queue continues to be used, I must say I am a bit worried at this point.
  14. Spock Active Member

I even heard anybody complaining about a maj'dul queue anymore so looks like it was just temporary so samething should happen to the other 2 that getting merge.So unless people decide with their free transfer to go massively to 1 or 2 server things should be fine.
    Belenos and Spindle like this.
  15. Svenone Well-Known Member

While I am no expert in this, that the queue was only necessary during the initial rush of "new" characters on the server leads to some speculation. New, in this case, being defined as the first time any particular character was logged on the new server. Given that the data feed from eq2u shows *some* characters are still on the old servers, but not all, it seems to me that the actual transfer of character data is done in real time as the character is logged in for the first time since the merge. That sort of thing would impose a considerably higher load on the server (as the character data was copied from one server to another), which could account for the need for queues for a short time. Furthermore, such queues could be set up to favor paying customers. The new server could have been preloaded with characters that had been logged in during a preset time limit, such as the 2 month time period given for preference in preserving a name. This would leave the "on the fly load" limited to those character that had not logged in during that time frame, which could still be a significant load and accounts for the eq2u data feed still showing some characters on the old server (and helps weed out old accounts that are no longer in use).

Do I know this is the way things are being done? Of course not! I am not a DBG employee, nor have I ever been a DBG/SOE employee. Just some speculation on my part with little to no knowledge of what actually is happening. Which could be entirely wrong. /shrug
  16. xopherrei New Member

the newest wrinkle? getting booted from the server and into queue...has happened 2 days in a row now at exactly the same time of day (19:30)...coincidence?? I think not...looking at a queue that started at 10 minutes and is now at 40 minutes...half hour later...hopefully this IS temporary...but I have a feeling it is the new NORMAL...
  17. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Someone was talking about this in chat the other day. They said everyone in the guild that was silver got booted at the same time and put into queue. This had BETTER NOT BE THE CASE!!! It's bad enough that the game is so unstable that mapping to a house boots you to the character load screen. Resulting in being dumped back into queue. But if we are deliberately being booted from the game because we are silver, that is totally unacceptable!

We need a clear statement from Daybreak on this. What exactly is going on? Are silvers now second class players that are not allowed to play anytime subs log in and the server is full? And if so, then WHY are they condensing the servers to the point where silver accounts have this as the future of the game for them?
    Juraiya, Belenos and Deveryn like this.
  18. Siren Well-Known Member

Er, maybe it's because free players are just making more overhead costs for Daybreak (more strain on the servers) and not generating any income to offset the costs of them being in-game?
  19. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

I am on a silver character right now. I have subbed on this account off and on, have bought all the expansions and mercs. She is riding a quacken mount. Several of the other characters on this account have expensive store bought mounts as well. And I have spent real money to unlock multiple merc slots. I have bought vanity houses for them as well.

I have two accounts I fully sub all the time. Many players like to have silver accounts as well as our sub accounts. And we spend a LOT of money on this game. Make a silver account player sad, you may also be making a subbing player mad at the same time. (One who has sub and silver accounts.) And subbing players may decide to stop spending as much on the game if they get too mad.
  20. drdissmiling New Member

During my wait for the Q, I have a question some of you may be able to answer. What can I do if I don't like the name they gave my toon?