What are Enchanters expected to do in groups/raids?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Lovestar, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Lare Active Member

I agree with Azian,

A smart active chanter can do some significant parses both in raids and groups setting. Where if you where just auto attacking you would be a joke in most raids that care about dps.

I have seen 100m + parses come from Chanters mimicry, auto attack is never going to come close!
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

Yeah, back when Power mattered. It was RoK and Venril Sathir was a nightmare for that reason.
  3. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I am about to start rushing my coercer back to the end game and so far I got this picture (correct me if I wrong).
    Coercer still great in solo (providing I can get good nuking pet + tank/healer merc) . On the raids - aside of occasional power support, PBAE/AE with agi line AA should yield fairly steady stream of double casting, mimic good melee DPS (brig, dirge or ranger) and stick with casting (double casting AA) spec. I am wonder if any particular coercers buffs still have any impact (I'd assume peaceful link and hate buff, coercive healing, healing boost not sure about group version of velocity but it I guess might help with yield higher % of multi attack)?
  4. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Mimic either wizard or warlock if they are in a raid before you mimic scouts. Good luck Doomdrake.

velocity buff helps me to keep MA at required level and reforge the heck out of it for something better. I would keep it.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  5. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

To all veteran coercers - I few AA question that I am still failing to comprehend. First - Agi line with final skill. Correct me if I wrong - the more casting speed you have (over cap) the higher chance of SDA? It seems logical to me (with coercer fast casting spells it should be easy) to have agi to very end and have SDA like 100% of time? :) Another question - how critical nowdays boost mana regeneration via AA? I see merit into the boosting in-combat one boost but boosting Breeze is it really that needed? I still see at least some of the top coercers speced for Melee not for Ranged/SDA. any particular reason for that? Another question - Wisdom line .... while CC no longer requirement (I got that ::)) first skill in this line is fasting casting long lasting and scaling with levels DOT (daydream) any particular reason why nobody using it? From coercer tree - any particular reason why no one maxing Charm?
  6. Lare Active Member

yes but there is diminishing returns for how much it actually adds so dependent on how you reforge and where yours stats are, but typically more casting speed u have that u cant reforge into something better is good.

Mana regen these days is not that big a deal as most classes have ways to refill their Mana. It may be wiser to look at how u can increase your dps more.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  7. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

As an Illy, I'm specced for both the end Agi line, for the extra cast speed/SDA, and 10 points into Daydream. I like using Daydream as it's a nice dot that ticks, plus it's nice during TW. The end Agi line helps keep my SDA at a constant 68-70% in a hybrid spec so I feel as if it's worth it.

I know Coe's don't have TW but I feel like Daydream would still be a decent ability to have due to the DoT.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  8. Alenna Well-Known Member

Wrong chanters are needed in raids(for the buffs they could give others) which is why instead of raiding on my main my RAnger they wanted my ILLY(to buff up the mage group especially the wizard) when I was raiding(and I was raiding up till 3 months ago.)in fact our raid guild wanted 4 chanters in thier raid force who told you that chanters weren't needed. you were sold a bill of goods
  9. Svenone Well-Known Member

These days it seems that all classes are expected to dps first, provide their class specific tools second.
    A tank is expected to dps and keep the mobs focused on him/her.
    A scout is expected to dps and debuff/buff/whatever.
    A mage is expected to dps and buff/cc/more dps.
    A healer is expected to dps and buff/heal.
    I am sure I missed some of the "secondary" tasks that are expected, but the primary task is the same for all classes: DPS! With enough dps everything else kind of fades into the background.

Playing an enchanter has changed over the years. Crowd Control used to be a big part of the enchanters job, making a challenging (or even impossible) situation possible. Now most folks want more mobs, the more the better! AOEing everying is desired, so CCing just gets in the way. Enchanters can still help with mana regen. They can still provide a little threat control. They still have a pet, though it seems to me that it has not scaled well with the game. But mostly, they are expected to dps.

At least, that is the way I see it.
  10. Airvh Active Member

Guys, just remember that this thread was started before the last expansion from LAST YEAR. So the changes that the poster was wondering if they would happen, have already happened. :D
    Kraeref and DoomDrake like this.
  11. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

I would love it if they went back and looked at all the classes in an expansion and remove all the abilities we no longer use and clean up on a lot of the AAs and either remove them or buff/change them.

Would also love it if, especially chanters, got their job back and wasnt just a DPS machine.
  12. Livejazz Well-Known Member

Love your siggie file, & I agree.
  13. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I raid on my coercer too. Mimicry makes it very attractive to play.
  14. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Frankly - solo coercer with half-bad charmed pet killing single target faster then warlock (at low - mid 70s). I went with Agi line spec and double casting giving notable boost of damage. Daydream also semi decent DOT (due to fast casting). AoE fights is all together different story
  15. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Time Warp will be near useless as casters get closer and closer to 100% double cast without timewarp. Its been diminishing over time like many other buffs and abilities. This is our biggest buff.

The next expansion, if we ever get one they HAVE to do either an item crush like Blizzard did with WoW or redo a lot of abilties/AA's so enchanters won't be rendered almost totally useless.