Can we talk about Prestige Items?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Xper, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Xper Well-Known Member

This was very off-handedly mentioned in the stream and I think it deserves some more discussion.

What I understand from the stream:
    1. EQ2 will have a new item tag "Prestige"
    2. Items that are tagged "Prestige" will require a subscription to equip
    3. Relics are items similar in power to the current ethereals, in some cases with class-defining abilities.
    4. All Relics will be tagged "Prestige"
    What wasn't clear to me, is how pervasive "Prestige" items will be in the new expansion. My experience with "Prestige" items in EQ1 was that "Prestige" items made it so that you were essentially required to sub or be seriously hindered in your ability to progress through even basic heroic content. (or ride on the coattails of people who did have prestige gear).
    One example of the "Prestige" implementation in EQ1 is the most recent expansion one of the most heavily advertised features was the addition of new "Heroic Adventures", so you buy the expansion all amped to be a hero and go adventuring, and then you notice the rewards for these HAs are "Prestige" items and you can't equip them.
    Anyways, I would love to know more about "Prestige" items and EQ2.
  2. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

This is a good question. One hopefully the Devs can answer now or in Beta. I would like to think the Prestige items would be like Ethereals are now. If you have them, content becomes easier, but in no way shape or form are they needed to complete the content in a reasonable time or manner.

The EQ2 team has been very good with these types of items in the past, and I have confidence it will be that way with Prestige items. I am also glad they will implement it this way, in order to give another perk to paying members.
    Siren likes this.
  3. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I believe they said you could only wear 1 Relic at a time anyway. So only 1 slot at a time will be Prestige.

Content can't be balanced really around 1 item per class, so I don't think you need to worry
  4. Xper Well-Known Member

That's if relics are the only "Prestige" items - which we don't have much to go on either way. From stream it 'sounded' like there would be other "Prestige" items as well, but they didn't address it explicitly.

And I disagree that content can't be balanced around 1 item per class. They did explicitly say some of the relics would have class-defining abilities. Last items with class-defining abilities were mythicals, and I remember first-hand the huge difference between our raid's capabilities the week before we cleared VP and the week after we cleared VP. It was night and day.
  5. dngrmse Active Member

Swash myth added 9 potency, and additional hate transfer...a small amount. (relying on memory here)

Hardly class defining.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

That content wasn't balanced around having mythicals though. That content was in game (and completed if I remember correctly) prior to epics even being introduced. Those came months after Kunark released and pretty much no one had mythicals for at week or so after that at least.
    There is a difference between content being easier with X item/ability and being nearly or actually impossible without it. For Eq2's new prestige items, we'll just have to wait until beta starts to see just how many and how powerful they are.
  7. Caith Developer

Currently the only place you will see a Prestige tag, is on a relic. Of which you can only equip 1.
  8. Xper Well-Known Member

I agree. If RoK required an additional fee to use mythicals it would not have had a significant impact on the majority of people, and even those it did effect, it would have only hurt their ability to progress past the most difficult raid mobs (ie Trak).

Anyways, I'm not here to say it will be this or it won't be that, I posted this thread because I'd love to hear more about this.
  9. Xper Well-Known Member

cool, ty Caith.
  10. Feldon Well-Known Member

Especially since there was no Free-to-Play at that time. If you stopped paying your subscription, you were locked out of the game. ;)
  11. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

All I want to know about Prestige items is....

Can the swash Relic be a parrot that sits on our shoulder?
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping that they are actually useful for the various classes.... the proc on the last healer ethereal, for instance, was pretty much useless to druids and channelers.
    That's without even going into the fact there was no 2-handed version...
  13. d1anaw Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with requiring a subscription for prestige items. There should be some advantages to subscribing and some disadvantages for playing for free. Why is it that those who don't want to pay for stuff always feel they should get the same thing as those who do pay for it?
    Mermut likes this.
  14. Solid11 Active Member

In my experience, (and only in mine)...., it's not worth getting expansions unless your subscribed. Kinda strange really since your buying an expansion to give you access to 100% of that content, but you can't access it all without a subscription. Which is why I don't buy them. I found it's just best to wait until they are available to you f2p. Plenty of things to do in game for us f2p'rs anyway. =)
  15. Solid11 Active Member

I completely agree with you hence my previous post. I'm completely happy with what I get for the free game.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There is a Legends of Norrath Card that gives you a shoulder parrot:
    [IMG]

A little Googling tells me that this card was in the Oathbreaker pack, but checking the LON Oathbreaker Loot Cards page, I don't see it included in the pack currently. The same Googling that led me to the card info found that third party sellers* are still offering this card for sale, which means that you might be able to trade for it within LON.

That ALSO tells me that DBG should consider bringing the shoulder-parrot back, perhaps as a marketplace item. If people are willing to pay nearly $40 for the LON card, DBG should be able to make some jack with it instead.

(*) Checking the LON webpage, the End User License Agreement link is dead, but the DGC Terms Of Service link is good and suggests to me that third party sales of LON cards are probably not allowed.
  17. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Yeah, we also get a shoulder parrot during the swashy epic quest (think it's only temp during the quest, but he's in a cage on my desk now lol). More or less seeing how many more times we can get parrots included, several instances of them counting parrot-colored Aviaks.
  18. Xper Well-Known Member

19. Xper Well-Known Member

presumably the rune counts as your 1 relic?