Focused Casting

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Penta, Sep 5, 2015.

1. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Well Tramp is definitely looking great compare to the rest of idiots (save Rand Paul - who is the best)
  2. Veta Well-Known Member

You do not have to say that everytime :p. It it probably easier to use simpler methods i.e., underlining.
  3. Lare Active Member

Just wondering how come the other lock is not number 2 on the parse? Gear group or Raid buffs? IF FC was so OP shouldn't the 2nf loc be on Top 2?
    DoomDrake likes this.
  4. Veta Well-Known Member

2 different group make-ups/players. The other warlock was beat by a brigand so obviously something was off. I have seen parses of Jokirr parsing near mogrim and sometimes above him you will even see that on the streams.
  5. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I don't mind it that much, if it persists well through the next xpac I might start getting pissy though.
  6. Koko Well-Known Member

What.

Seriously, what? Are you fucking kidding me? Warlocks are super-basic-****, build increments, temp, use increments, done. There isn't any transient ********, there is little positional ********, there is relatively little to play around.

Yes there is a huge reward for mastering basic steps, yes most players can't do basic ****, but warlocks by no means have the highest ceiling. There are 2+ degrees of freedom warlocks don't even need to consider, let alone play around,... /rant
  7. Neiloch Well-Known Member

ceiling = potential, it has nothing to do with difficulty except by your own admission its extremely easy to reach
    Anunnaki likes this.
  8. Koko Well-Known Member

Ah, if you meant "damage ceiling" then yes I agree.

I thought we were discussing skill ceilings.
  9. Veta Well-Known Member

I think you are confusing ceiling with skill requirement. Ceiling would be, like Neiloch stated, the potential.
  10. Mogrim Well-Known Member

Spoken like someone who definitely hasn't mastered the class.
    If you want to be a top-notch warlock, you have considerably more to monitor and watch than any other competitive T1 class in the game.

1) You've got to play the range game to optimize both Thunderclap AND Unda.
    2) You've got to constantly toggle your myth on and off while parsing, to make sure your myth is NEVER on for Dark Siphoning, but GENERALLY ALWAYS on for everything else. (On large linked encounter fights, this factor does go away, potentially)
    3) You need to have your temps/charms (Sanguine and Skull Focii at minimum, Cazic Charm as well if you've got it) planned out at least 30-60seconds in advance.
    4) You need to set one particular dumbfire (Netherlord) up about 24 seconds in advance.
    5) You need to parse and temp around when the 4 chanters in your raid will have mimicry up.
    6) You need to gear a little differently, in general sacrificing SDA (and therefore personal dps) for more Potency/Crit Bonus in order to create the largest mimicry burns possible (and therefore more RW dps due to large gains for the chanters).

Great warlocks are able to essentially skip steps 3 and 5 if they're aiming merely for great and not for top-notch. steps 3 and 5 are absolutely crucial (albeit detrimental to one's personal dps) if one wants to get the most possible out of the class.

While it is true that other classes could be forced into doing steps 3 and 5 if they were the mimicry target, it is still definitely more difficult to be at the absolute top of the class than you may think, Koko.
  11. Belton Member

Different group make ups. Mogrim holds his group on a 5 pronged chain when it comes to bufffs. Lock #2 does not.
  12. Veta Well-Known Member

1. Considering Most fights are not unda friendly, why would you move back and forth constantly to maximize both abilities? You could just do the more appropriate thing and drop unda for spell weapon stats. FC will obviously affect the wand output. Unda is just one hit, no matter how many targets, the damage is just spread out. So ideally a wand setup would be better on the more ae intensive fights than unda would be. Especially if you are wanting to stay in to use blues which would then not allow you to stay out to maximize unda.

2. Gotta get those dark siphoning increments =P.

3. Why would you need to time cazic charm if its always up?

6. How does one generally sacrifice sda for potency/crit bonus, especially since the statement is targeting mimicry. Mimicry was not brought out until AoM in which all the cloaks/belts now have cb/pot/sda. You cannot sacrifice for one or the other. You are also wearing the cloak adornment for the damaging set, would that be a little hypocritical as you are wearing a personal dps set? Would you not want to wear, in particular, a power, potency, or cb bonus set to make the first portion of the sacrificial statement true? Because by using the damaging bonus set you have SDA on the shoulders which should be pot/cb and then the rest is all ae auto, dps mod, flurry, more dc, until the 8th set bonus which gives you 40 crit bonus. So none of those stats are helping the mimicry but the 40 crit bonus.
  13. Koko Well-Known Member

...or you could stay at 20 and do superior damage.
    Unda EncDPS = 5500 * (1 + 0.1 * distance)/15s
    Thunderclap EncDPS = [942 - 1413 * (1~3) + Amod]/7.5
    *Thunderclap does not appear to have a cap
    @ 15 m = 5,500 * (1 + 0.1 * 15)/15s + [942 - 1413 * (3)]/7.5 = 1,387.66
    @ 20 m = 5,500 * (1 + 0.1 * 20)/15s + [942 - 1413 * (2)]/7.5 = 1,414.00
    1,414 > 1,387 @ 0% variance reduction (no weapon skills)
    1,439.12 > 1,425.35 @ 40% variance reduction (infinite weapon skills)
    Can also max mystical overflow for bonus damage. #funtimes
    Hardest part is instant cast Rift/Apocalypse not going off after you queue them to be honest. :rolleyes:
  14. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

All fights are Unda friendly and Unda is one of the most highest parsing abilities if done properly.
  15. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I don't think appeals to authority are gonna fly here, nor should they.
  16. Yards Well-Known Member

I would agree with the way fights are set up now unda is not as effective as the extra swdb. But what do I know I'm just a templar.
  17. Jokirr Member

I don't think i had a troub the that night so most of the night it was aids to parse anything. So sorry friend :(
  18. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Why is belton saying he never had cheetah during vulak, we always had two furies
  19. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Warlocks are easy to play, stop acting like you play some extremely difficult class. Also lol @ #6
  20. Mogrim Well-Known Member

In general, Total Unda damage + Total Auto Attack damage > Total Auto Attack Damage when spec'd for spell weapon stats. Yes, it is a lot more difficult to obtain, but it generally ends up higher.

Yeah, you do. If you're not doing this, you're playing Warlock wrong. The main reason Wizards have a lower/quicker threshhold for their increment gain is because of how Dark Siphoning works. I proposed changing this a long time ago, but for now we've just gotta deal with it. Playing Dark Siphoning this way has it's own weaknesses but that is a topic for a different conversation.

As I'm sure you're aware, Cazic Charm performs "uniquely" on certain fights. So on some of those fights, you want that damage to occur during Mimicry.

Great question. The reason is, with the massive boost to flurry that our cloaks/belts got, there really is no other valid way for sorcerers to maintain our high amounts of mod and also push 600 DPS. In addition, this allows us to fill in the gaps to top out our AOE auto as well. In the end, it becomes a question: Which will lead to higher Net RW dps? It is my opinion that 10 extra Flurry along with 221 DPS will outpace the minimal loss of CB and moderate loss of Potency. So that is a judgment call on my part.

Part 2 of that question: The SDA ear is a piece that is (in my opinion) preferable to the Constructed Hoop of Amplifying Malice for personal DPS, but definitely inferior when it comes to Mimicry dps. I've told the rest of the mages in this guild that I won't even bid on that piece until they all have it, and even if I did get it, I wouldn't use it while being the mimicry target.