Non-AFK botting isn't against the rules?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Lovidicus, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovidicus Active Member

So just wondering if this is true. Quite a few people say that you no longer get in trouble for botting a character as long as you're not AFK while doing it. Any chance someone from Daybreak could chime in and let us know for sure?

If it's legal now, I might give it a whirl. It'd be cool to have 2 characters.

If it's not legal then I've got a few petitions to file. A well known guild leader of Deathtoll uses a significant number of bots on raids. I thought it was cheating, but people have told me otherwise. I'll leave his name out of this post so it doesn't get locked, plus we all already know exactly who it is. ;)
  2. Mitten Active Member

Since when was any botting legit? Or are you talking about boxing?
  3. Windstalker Executive Producer

Boxing -- playing multiple characters at once by way of human-operated mad skillz and interaction -- is okay. Botting -- having one or multiple characters that are automated within the game and do not have or use human interaction (i.e. roBOTs) are not okay.
    suka, Luciar, Belenos and 11 others like this.
  4. Malleria Well-Known Member

Oh look, it's this thread again.
    Wulfhammer, Alenna, Feldon and 3 others like this.
  5. LordTiras Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my first thought, too, but this one got a quick answer from Holly, which is far more than other threads have seen. It's now just a matter of determining whether "controlling an action in multiple sessions with a single click in one session" is "mad skillz" or "lack human interaction"... I see arguments both ways and I know we have people define that differently. But this is the best official definition so far.
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. Eles Well-Known Member

[IMG]

*shares for everyone*
    Seefar, Wintir, Alenna and 4 others like this.
  7. Rondo9 Active Member

Pass me some pelase
    Eles likes this.
  8. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I just woke up sleeping people in my house from laughing at this ...

May as well have some as well. Thanks! :p:p
    Wintir, Prissetta and Eles like this.
  9. Dull4h4n Member

I await this video of a known guild leader botting with bated breath.
  10. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Mad skillz. I haz them.
    Coat And Hat and Prissetta like this.
  11. Strings Well-Known Member

What about the gray area of using a program to let you press one button and have that one button press affect many windows? I think that has been the issue in many of these threads. (Be aware, I'm only here for the popcorn)
    Rozyn likes this.
  12. Azian Well-Known Member

There is no question that the red names are intentionally vague on this issue. Holly's reply above is a perfect example. This is what RadarX had to say last week in a different thread.

While I only play one account at a time these days, my interpretation of the above is that they are giving tacit approval of multi-boxing even when using software such as ISBoxer as long as a player is physically sitting at the machine and entering commands, clicking keys, etc. It seems clear that if you do this in a disruptive way they will feel free to exercise their discretion and take whatever steps they deem necessary to stop it.

I briefly pondered trying to set up a 6 man group on a live server after the above comment but realized that would require me to purchase 5 other copies of AoM. So..um....about that...
    Regolas and Prissetta like this.
  13. Foretold Well-Known Member

Y'all are trying to read more into this than there really is.

If you are using your own hands, brain, computer (s), keyboard (s), mouse (mice), and monitor (s) to box more than one toon, then more power to you. I can barely handle two boxing on a split screen myself.

If you are using *those programs that we all know which will go unnamed* to program movements for other toons, even if you're not AFK, you are violating policy.

It's that easy.

Now what they choose to enforce or not enforce seems to change on a whim. But if you are using *those programs that we all know which will go unnamed* to control any of your toons, you're walking a thin line to Drunder based on that whim.
  14. Azian Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you can reconcile your comments with what both RadarX and Holly have posted though. They are emphasizing unattended game play without human interaction as the problem rather than the use of software. I would have taken the same stance as you before the recent replies from both of them.
  15. Lovidicus Active Member

Thanks for the clarification. I would have thought this was the case but some people made it pretty clear that they "heard" otherwise. I'll place my petition and hope it gets investigated thoroughly. I don't think people should be allowed to cheat to get an advantage.
    Belenos likes this.
  16. Lovidicus Active Member

Yes, let me sneak into his house and video tape him starting the bot up... ? What a dork.
  17. Ummmyeh Active Member

18. Foretold Well-Known Member

You're trying to read between the lines and find the loopholes. You know better than that. You know what the truth is, you just said so yourself :p
  19. Azian Well-Known Member

Not even remotely. When people with red names say thing like:

and

I tend to reach the conclusion that what they are concerned about is unattended game play. Not sure how that is reading between the lines or finding loopholes.
  20. Elfie New Member

Just to play Innoruuk's advocate, would mercenaries be considered a form of BOTting or BOXing? ;-)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.