Server Consolidation FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Malvolio Member

When creating characters you understand there's a first come first serve basis to names. You try a name that's taken and it wont let you. Yet during a consolidation this very rule infuriates many of you, the way I understand the post your given a potion to rename and a period of free server transfer so could you not just then stay x.. transfer to another server and try your name there?

Not to mention they at least took the time to eliminate anyone who has not played in a long time out of the equation so if 2 people are playing recently and one had the name first why on earth do you think you have the right to the name over them?
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Meh, just because of that, I think it should be just the first three: Playtime, Account Age, and Character Age. The current method they're thinking of, while infinitely better than "whoever logs in first that day," still has issues, but probably any method would. ;->

Uwk
  3. Eradani Well-Known Member

i have one of those tradeskill alts too. i checked and there's another toon with that name on one of the other servers i'm getting consolidated with. my toon has 6 days played and the other has 60ish days. didn't check create date but i'd love it if i could give that 60 day toon preference for the name. i'd gladly take the "x" in this case and then have 2 with x's, hehe.
    Edelphia and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Chikkin Well-Known Member

so if I have full shared banks on 3 servers that are getting merged... am I gonna log in to an overflow full of my shared bank stuff?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Arbiter Member

Yes! Please include playtime!

Some poor level 95 with 114 days of play time is slated to lose his name to my level 38 with 2 days of play time (whose name was only changed to that after she lost hers in a server merge, and I've hated it every day since)--- just because she was created 2 years earlier.

She's since been copied to Freeport and is now a level 90 with her original name there [at least until the merge, at which point she's set to lose it again, but it was nice while it lasted]. I'm not deleting my level 38 (she has cool stuff!), but I'd feel awful if she wound up stealing the name from that other guy.

(It would also be terribly ironic. Because I hate the name and was actually looking forward to renaming her in the event of a free for all. :oops: )

Please consider playtime!
    Siren and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Baphmistra Active Member

Something odd this way comes... I know not the best first line, but it's not really evil or wicked. I'm not pleased that Freeport is going away, and I'm a bit nervous about name changes. The reason I'm nervous about the name changes is that all my alts have SC prestige houses attached to their names. I made the mistake early on, of deleting a character, thinking I could transfer the deed over to a Trustee, found out the hard that EQ2 doesn't work that way. I don't mind changing a few names, but I hope that the potion also allows all the houses and items assigned to me will move with my character. Then again I keep playing LON hoping for that dimensional house, and haven't got it yet. Either way I hope this merger goes better than some of the horror stories I've heard about in the past.:cool:
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Then don't log in with your tradeskill toon until after the Consolidation...i.e., if they announce, "Server Consolidation Day is Sept. 30th, and we should be finished completely by October 7th!" then don't log in with yours from like Sept. 29th (or earlier) to Oct. 8th, just to be on the safe side. ;->

If the other person hasn't played the toon for several months and doesn't know about all this, then that's their lookout. I haven't played some of my Silvers in quite some time, and if a name goes away, that's my fault (though I will make an effort to log into the ones I really like within the next 60 days!). :-/

Uwk
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Then clear out your Shared Banks now, and put the items on your toons, either in their inventory bags or personal bank boxes. ;->

Uwk
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Then don't log in with your 2 days character until afterwards. ;->

Uwk
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

All prestige houses are SC, unless they're free due to the Veteran's Rewards or bought from the Loyalty Merchants. I have quite a few places attached to Uwkete's name on Crushbone, and if I need to go the X route (hope not, since I've been playing Uwk since April of 2006 pretty regularly), they'll still belong to him and me as his player. ;->

At any rate, it's not a merge, it's something new they haven't done yet (which is scary in and of itself, but I'm glad they're properly paranoid about it! ;->), and they seem to be doing their best to make sure we all get everything that's attached to the collection of data in the database, regardless of how many X's we might wind up needing. ;->

Uwk
    Prissetta likes this.
  11. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for relieving some of the anxiety that was building with people worried about various issues. I'm happy to know that there shouldn't be much to worry about.

It's nice to know the rents on houses AND GUILD HALLS (I'm assuming) will not be wiped by the consolidation.

Thanks again for your detailed post. :)
  12. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Uwk, you keep giving this advise and it's not accurate. The determiner is not who's logged in most recently, it is who's logged in within the past 60 days. Within that timeframe it doesn't matter if one of them logged in 2 days ago and the other 2 weeks ago - they're both within 60 days and so the next naming consideration comes into play - which character is older. And as they are slotting this for end of September, it is currently impossible for someone to keep their own character out of that 60 day window if they have already logged in in the last 4 weeks.

That said, I know this is going to be messy for some people, and I wish you all luck. I do think this is a much better option than the naming free-for-all that was discussed previously, even if the FFA would've given me a shot at getting my originally-intended names for two characters I made, who's intended names belonged to low-lvl chars on the Isle of Refuge created 3 years before mine and never played since...

edit: forgot to say - With the names getting x's, and the possibility that characters from previous mergers who got x at the end of their name may have never gotten rid of them, are there going to be issues if characters end up with xxx at the end of their name? I seem to remember this causing problems on beta a while ago...
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ack! Good point... :-/

Why should it be an issue if there are toons with, say, BobX, BobXXXXX, and BobXXXXXXXXX? Or is it just the XXX bit that was causing issues (since that could have indicated something with that sort of movie-rating connotation...)?

Uwk
  14. Minxy I am my own man forever and ever!

shut ur mouth
  15. Tabri Well-Known Member

Husbands zerker on the FP server(level 95) now has the name MeatshieldX because someone took his name after he transferred to the AB server for a little while and then later came back to FP. The person that has his name without the X is level 7 zerker and hasnt logged in since 2012 yet my husband has logged in within 60 days. I guess the level 7 will keep the name Meatshield and my husbands zerker is going to still be stuck with Meatshieldx?
  16. Foretold Well-Known Member

Your husband's toon's name is meatshieldx... not meatshield. So he will have no claim to that name. He will have to fight with all the meatshieldx toons now to not become meatshieldxx.
    Eradani likes this.
  17. Bellamorte Active Member

since the game now sees your hubbys name as Meatshieldx, then there would be no conflict with the one missing the x then yes, he would be stuck with the name.
  18. Adevil Well-Known Member

Thing is, if they've logged in during the past month and the consolidation goes ahead at the end of September, it's already to late to "not log in".
    Eradani and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but at least now the guy with "Meatshieldx" as a name will at least get a rename potion, hopefully, or hopefully they'll be available on The Marketplace, even if he doesn't...he could be Meatsheeld, or Meetshield (hey, that could work! "We'll meet up with the shield." See?) or Meatsheild, or Meate, with last name Shield; all sorts of possibilities if he's stubborn. ;->

Uwk
    Prissetta likes this.
  20. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

It was specifically the one with the movie rating connotation, at least if I remember right. It didn't actually happen to me, so not sure.