Server Consolidation FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Because they can't please all of the people all of the time. This system will most likely have the least disruption. If someone logs in within the 60 day period, that's just tough luck. I stand to lose at least 2, possibly 3 of my names to characters who are active and older than mine. I'm ok with that - such is life. Which is also unfair.
    Edelphia, Prissetta, Eliohia and 3 others like this.
  2. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

But with the changes after Daybreak, you can no longer petition for this anymore. Are you going to reinstate the ability to petition for being able to vote for a new leader?
  3. suka Well-Known Member

thank you so much. this clears up a lot and i can put all of my stuff back together again. so glad about the names too.
  4. Almee Well-Known Member

I honestly don't understand all the grief about character names. While I have character names I like, most of my toons have whatever creative name I could get the server to accept.

I have noticed that some of my made-up names have been copied on other servers so there is always the possibility of someone else having a toon with the same name as one of my toons. If this happens I'll simply make up a new name to use. It isn't like any of our characters have grown attached to their names lol.

Giving us the option to move our toons to another server is fantastic. I am perfectly happy with the new combined server, my toons will be moved to, but I can see where there might be other players who have good reasons not to want to be on their new, consolidated server.

My only real concern, over the upcoming consolidations, is the down time required to make the servers stable. To that end, I've made toons on the UK-English server so that I can continue to play if the regular, American servers are down for an extended period. I suppose having toons on Test, or the TLE servers, would also work as long as Launchpad doesn't end up being corrupted.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Bellamorte Active Member

I understand that you are upset, and I probably would be as well. However, something to keep in mind is that no matter what they do in this situation, they are not going to be able to please everyone. I think that so far, based on Holly's post, they have done a fairly decent job at listening to the players and trying to make a possibly bad situation into the best one possible.

That is not saying that your concerns are not valid, and maybe they can make something just for your particular merge, but keep in mind as well that this is a massive undertaking for them, and they may not be able to.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

Well, as I said before, in the last merge they also considered played time, which is often a much better indicator of character importance to a player than the creation date.
    Xillean, amarisa, suka and 2 others like this.
  7. Gramma Active Member

So all that work was for nothing? I could have been having fun instead of emptying shared banks etc? Live and learn. At least I found housing items I forgot I owned, and organized my sprawling hoards of mats and things. I'm happy to have a definitive answer at last. And my toons have never been so tidy. Thanks, Windstalker!
    Belenos, Prissetta, Faeonara and 4 others like this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

why? it never was a hard process - that doesn't make a service less desirable. price is seldom based on cost where service is concerned. should your employer come up and say "hey we just made your job a bit easier so we are going to lower your pay" - would that be fair?

it is never fair to expect to be able to dictate to any business how much they charge for a service. yeah we would love the cost reduction- but totally unfair to demand it.
  9. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Sorry, Finora, must have missed it when posting my reply (thread moving quickly - cross-posted).
  10. Josgar Active Member

I was referring to the number of people who started on Permafrost (before Nagafen and later when Freeport came up), who have someone's name from Freeport or Nagafen, and will have both sets of characters login within sixty days of the consolidation. Statistically speaking this should be incredibly small.

I'm fine if they change the rules to better consider your server and I really hope people's names don't get taken. But Heroic characters make it a sticky situation to do it by character level. And it can also be argued that people could just log in and /afk to up their playtime for their name.

I think a better solution would be great. And I didn't mean to come across like I'm putting down your servers, as I have characters on both as well. I just don't see a better system.

I would like to know if they considered how character rename tokens will work. They leave potential room for abuse if someone takes a name prior to a merger and has an older creation time.
  11. Gramma Active Member

You are specifying made-up names. I named one of my toons after my deceased grandfather, in his memory. I'm kind of attached to that name.
    Griffon Lady, Belenos, suka and 2 others like this.
  12. Breanna Well-Known Member

Thank you, and thank you for listening to us about the names I am so glad I don't have to sit and patiently wait to log in just to get my name. After over 10 years of playing I really didn't want to lose my name. At least now if I lose it it will be to someone who has played longer than me and that isn't a lot of people :)
  13. isest Active Member

I too would love to know this, or guild leader is no longer with us. We had an officer log in but he could not promote to guild leader. I turned in a ticked and on the forums I was told and I quote "you are out of luck please find a new guild" Even feldon got involved. there is an article on eq2wire about the mess.

So I would like to know if I have to wait or can I petition now.
  14. Rondo9 Active Member

Time to find something else to play in the mean time! This just keeps getting push back and back, the longer this takes the more people this game it losing. Hope they're people left for when these so called "consolidation" actually happen.
    Edelphia likes this.
  15. JDV_Crushbone New Member

I have to agree here, I'm surprised they are using creation date rather than /played. I have some lowbie toons that I created back in the early early early days of Crushbone that I use just for tradeskills--meaning they'll have logged in within the 60 days for sure. If some active level 100 has the same name I'd feel bad if my toon got preference, she almost never leaves the guild hall.
    suka and Gramma like this.
  16. Prayos Well-Known Member

This has been the same method that they've used for all the mergers in the past. There's no rule that is going to make 100% of the people happy. As stated, you're talking a pretty small percentage of people who are going to get a free name change. This is completely the fairest way to do this.
  17. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

All your names are belong to us.
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

Actually it isn't but /shrug

The last one they used played time as well to determine who keeps it.

This new way honestly works out better for me (should people actually log on characters they haven't played in ages) since most of my characters are OLLLLLLDDDD and mostly much played. But it really isn't very fair to the Freeport/Nagafan/Permafrost merge folks at all.

In anycase, I wish everyone luck with their names and hope nobody decides to swoop in and log on long defunct characters just to grief people.
    suka and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Svenone Well-Known Member

Life isn't fair. Deal with it. Whineing about it is very juvenile, at best.
  20. Naudi Active Member