Producer's Letter: August 2015 Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Gramma Active Member

My toons are so tired of shifting items from place to place. I am tired of it. When I mentioned the checklist to Hubs, a man who has built computers since the early eighties, who is the son of a programmer, and who has degrees in computer engineering and who also works with servers in his career, he asked me if I wanted to hear the worst case scenario. Like an idiot I said yes. Having heard the worst case scenario and how easily it could happen, I am at a point of acceptance. I am still moving my items and still ready to log in to claim my rightful names, but I am not going to sit up worrying about my precious precious pixels. Que freakin' sera. If the worst happens, I'll name my new toons after asteroids to commemorate the event.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

not the same but similar- more like a massive transfer or migration. still when they move an individual person, they have to pick up files from that one person and there is a chance of corruption or loss. When they move an entire server, then that is a massive group of files that are all being moved at once, kind of like moving the files on your computer to a new computer. hopefully most items will be intact with very little chance of corruption because of the exterior backup.

however, the larger the scale, the more chance of things going wrong. and remembering murphy's law, if anything can go wrong, it will.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

something that a lot may forget. When you save a house, be sure to save it intact with everything you want in it, but after your have removed the contents of the crate. unless the contents of the crate are important to your layout. then store the contents of the crate in the house or in your bags where you can put them down before reloading.

the reason is that when you hit load layout, it will first fill up your crate with everything it has noted belongs there. if any crate item is missing, it will steal that item from your position in the house, and then tell you that item is missing from the layout.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Gramma like this.
  4. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ok, well from first hand experience, I don't have any faith that things will go off without any hitches, but it will take entirely too much time to screenshot every house and dungeon list. I've screen-shotted everything in my depots and any crafting stations I have in my crafting houses, and I will be sure to screen-shot every SC item I have in my SC storage dungeon because these are the items I would be hard pressed to replace if they were lost. I already have screen-shots of my published homes, so proof of any SC items in them is already available.

I'll just have to do as suka said, and take my chances with a lot of things, because I just don't have the time to scramble with all this right now. As for shared bank slots, the majority of what I have in there I'm not too overly concerned with losing, though it would be annoying if those things got lost, so I guess I'll work on emptying them out if/when I have time to do so.

Not sure how this whole move will affect break-outs though, in our homes, so other than my one published home for Niboota's contest, I'm picking everything up from the break-out areas. It would be quite annoying to lose that one home, but I won't sweat it, if I do. I spent a lot of time last night saving my dungeon layouts and emptying out moving crates/break-out areas. I'll be doing more of that tonight.

Thank you, Uwk and Suka, for clearing up some things for me.

Anyone know if we need to empty out the guild bank too?
  5. suka Well-Known Member

i emptied anything perceived as "shared". that included shared banks, guild bank, and moving crates. I also am picking up most of the stuff i don't want to lose. If i crafted it before, i figure i can craft it again. so i am moving only the stuff from dungeons that i can't buy or craft. and i am consolidating my dungeons as best i can so i won't have so many. and unpublishing them. then saving the layouts. i make sure i save the layout as soon as a house or dungeon is full so i don't forget to save it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Can a Red Name PLEASE come on here and let us know what might be the areas we'll definitely have to be concerned about the most, from their point of view ("We always seem to have sticky issues about _____________, so watch out for that.")? On the other hand, since I don't think consolidations have ever occurred before on EQ2, ever, I don't know if they know what the major issues might be yet... X-P

Uwk
    who still doesn't really get why we need to do this now...why the rush? :-/
    Kurisutaru and suka like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if they're going to handle it exactly like a merge, that one poster who said something along the lines of having gone through two merges without a hitch at all is encouraging. :)

Uwk
    GrunEQ likes this.
  8. Kurisutaru Active Member

Screenshot stuff (makes no sense, as there are records of our purchases.. :confused:).. empty certain containers.. place stuff in vaults (the reason I'd have stuff in, say, moving crates it's because my vaults are full!).. create even MORE alts to hold stuff.. o_O "Ain't nobody got time for that.." :p

I have paid to move characters between accounts/servers before and luckily */knocks on wood* never had any problems. :) I am hoping there won't be any issues this time around either */crosses her fingers*.

Although there are mixed feelings (some of us don't like the idea and others do) about this whole server "consolidations" situation. I'm sure that all parties involved can agree on one thing, it can't be rushed and needs to be planned and executed properly. I guess all we can do right now is be hopeful that will be the case. Still, many of us are concerned, and it is understandable. Other than the there are plans for consolidations to take place at the end of this month, and the Developers are hard at work (making sure that our characters, their belongings and such will be "safe"), no other details have been posted.

For example:

[1] Steps to take, if any, ahead of time.

[2] How will guild and character name duplicates be handled? Unless we understood correctly and that's how it'll be, a free for all. Which, I sure hope, it is not the case. That would be unfair and somewhat irresponsible, if you ask me. :eek:

Anyway, it would be nice and truly appreciated if there was any other information on the matter that could be shared with us.. as the deadline is fast approaching. Unless anything has changed, that is. Either way, pretty please with sugar on top.. :oops:
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And anyone who isn't up to their armpits working on this directly, please, spare a thought and comment for us? ;->

"According to the devs, it should be fine, but just in case, they told me to tell you all to do _______, ________, and _________ to get ready [fill in the blanks with your favorite possibilities; you get the idea]. Thanks for your patience and cooperation! :)"

That'd be sweet. ;->

Uwk
    Kurisutaru and suka like this.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

i guess what we would all like to see is some statement . we want to hear "ok we worked this out and no one will lose anything including names and special items."

worst case that we would want to hear is "ok guys we are postponing this until we get it all worked out in a fair and smooth way so no one will lose anything and we will let you know, but in the mean time, as you were."

to give nothing but silence to the worries of their customers and still expect us not to be expecting the worst is really not good. the public opinion is rather fickle. if they don't hear something good, they assume the worst will happen- often rightly so. then they are pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen.

but if they are met with ill-timed announcements followed by a dead silence, it doesn't inspire confidence.
  11. pzpz Active Member

I've been thru 3 merges and never lost a thing, but the last 5 pages of checklists and rumors have been entertaining anyway.

*inb4 "but this time its a consolidation".
  12. Ozymundas Active Member

*Nevermind, I just realized I dont really care that much.
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

(Removed most of the post as those parts don't pertain to my reply here.)

So, in that first sentence, 'best with friends'...what makes anyone think by consolidating servers that you are friends with those people in the first place? It may give those who are interested in doing so the opportunity to make 'new friends', but it doesn't mean I'm suddenly now going to get to play with 'my friends' who just happened to be playing on another server, lol. For those of us who love to play solo, it's certainly not going to change our game any, other than to give us more competition for open zones and contested dungeons. How many times and how many ways must we, the solo players, tell you that nothing you do is going to change our play style, so please stop trying to do so. I can accept the merge without complaint, but I really wish you all would stop trying to 'direct' my play style to your preferences, and ignoring my preference. :D

As for the merge itself, Holly did say in the very next statement that they are 'targeting' the end of August, to 'start testing at the very least.', so this tells me that they are not necessarily planning the actual consolidation process yet, but are just working towards doing so. I certainly hope we will have more information, along with instructions on what we should do to prepare for this, in plenty of time to make our arrangements before the consolidation happens. Meanwhile, I will do everything I think is necessary to prepare for this, and hope that it turns out to be enough, should they decide to go through this consolidation without further notice on what we need to do in order to prepare. It seems they intend to 'test' before doing the actual consolidation, so it may yet be some time before it even takes place.

The edited portion of the post above is nice...Holly did choose to give us a bit more information on Aug 4...but I think the majority of us are now waiting to hear more about this, as it's been almost a full month since that edit. Please give us more information soon, so we are not left hanging here, wondering whether all our efforts to prepare for the consolidation have not been done in vain. It would be nice to know the target date for the consolidation (dates can always be changed, should you decide you're not ready by the target date, but at least it would give us an idea as to when you intend for it to happen).
  14. suka Well-Known Member

excellent. i am reposting this to the server group so that people who don't come to the forums can benefit from it. i do so agree with you.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and IZELLIA like this.
  15. Kurisutaru Active Member

/agree

Even if it's just testing and subject to change, it would still give us an idea as to what to expect. More details on the matter would be VERY welcomed and truly appreciated :). That way we could then start making plans and simply adjust accordingly when server consolidations finally take place.. :oops:
  16. Uncle Active Member

ok 8/27/2015 so were are basicly done in AUG time to tell us when the mergers or whatever your calling it actually gonna happen
    that is all

soon to be know as unclebrigx
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Really? There are that many other Unclebrigs out there? :-/

Uwk
    who's relying on EQ2U to see how many variants there are out there of 21 different character names... X-P (though so far, I've only run across a few duplicates, many of which were surprising, and only less than a handful, maybe 1-2, might be on the same Consolidated server)
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My plans so far included clearing out the Shared Bank and Broker and waddling about with very full packs...also, I'm a bit leery of changing ANYTHING in my houses (including the stuff in the Depots, which I have records of now), after having saved the layout files (not that I couldn't do it again, but it's also a matter of, "Okay, which stuff did I change, where...?").

Uwk
  19. Uncle Active Member

@uwk

idk just being proactive i guess
  20. Gramma Active Member

I wonder if this testing isn't the cause of the sudden sinking all my heritage quest givers have been experiencing lately. I know I've done a LOT of heritage quests and now suddenly every time I go to turn them in, the questgivers are below ground and I have to /target their names and /hail them to get them to pop up...usually just the top half of their body, like a dismembered torso will cheerfully greet me as if nothing in the world is wrong with them and they will carry on asking questions and delivering their lines while looking like sentient murder victims.

Also out of nowhere: game crashes. My computer has always run this game perfectly and suddenly the game crashes out of the clear blue sky.