Producer's Letter: August 2015 Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Raff Well-Known Member

Actually I'm not bellyaching about the the timeline of the merges. I'm on AB and have no plans to leave other than a bit of pvp on Deathtoll.

What I was commenting on, was how all of a sudden there is this gigantic upswell of rancor & negativity against an issue (server merges) that has been promoted /demanded in this forum and the old forums for years. Where were you all of you when all those folks were begging for server merges? Hardly any of you said anything against merges in all that time.

Now, on the cusp of something actually being done about it?

"Oh yeah...now we hate the idea because..."

The optimal time for staking out your reservations about the process was way back then...
  2. suka Well-Known Member

those who were against it spoke up on all of those threads. where were you? and we are not against the idea of the new server. we are against losing our names. big difference. maybe you should again go back and do your research. you are very vocal for someone with no stake in this and no research to back your claims.
    Dude, Majesty, Belenos and 2 others like this.
  3. Uncle Active Member

so after 20 pages of my precious name better not get taken topics can we get more details about when the mergers/consolidation rule sets and a better idea of when and who gonna move....
    thankyou in advance for this

uncle/ or uncle(put in humber of x's when merges actually happen)
    unclebrig or unclebrig(put in numebr of x's when mergers actually happen)
    Kurisutaru, Dendrelis and suka like this.
  4. Raff Well-Known Member

I've been playing this game and participating in these forums for nearly 8 yrs. People have been asking for server merges for at least 5 of those years in 2 separate forums. And the number of people asking for merges far outnumbered the people against them...for whatever reason.

You're right I have no personal stake in this fight. But I do favor the merges because they will help a lot more people than they will hurt others due to toon name issues. Which issue I feel is a fairly minor issue in the overall scheme of things.
  5. Sannuye New Member

Could there be a dedicated roleplay server? I was once on Lucan D'lere and was snatched to Crushbone and still mourn the that the community I belong in is derisive about roleplaying. I am an active house decorator who loves to decorate so the average population is not exactly friendly to the dedicated crafter. Since someone who enters a pvp is warned that pvp is the rule and they have to accept their play style. I would like to see similar conditions applied to the roleplay server.
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

isn't Antonia Bayle the dedicated roleplay server? maybe you should check there
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Tigress New Member

I have been playing since the game started , all access the whole time. My main is a kitty and her name is Tigress, my son's main is Tiger. I would have to be quick out of the gate to claim my names if it is a free for all. I really, really hope its not who logs on first gets the name. Date of creation and playing time, also being logged in for a certain number of days before the merger should be the way they go. I know a name doesn't mean a lot to some people, but it does to me. We have 8 all access accounts in our family, we just paid for a year on all of them, now I wish I had not done that.
  8. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

And what I'm saying is that on every single one of the merger threads, there were people against them (Even unrelated threads where someone just brought up the mention of server mergers), but since the higher ups kept saying there were no future plans for server mergers, most people didn't think they had to worry, so they didn't bother posting at the time. Now it's something to worry about, so they are now posting.

The last merger was in 2013, this is 2015.... that's not 5 years. Are you saying people were asking for server mergers during a server merger? o.0

I know this is hard to wrap your brain around, but losing names is a HUGE issue for some folks. Why are you against compromising by finding a way to allow people to keep their names? I'd be thrilled at the prospect of a server merger that allowed people to keep their names. Who really cares if there are 400 people playing frogloks named Kermit on the same server? o.0

If you actually give a rattonga's tail end about the game, you'd be pushing to keep as many players as possible, not telling the RPers and others who actually care about the name they chose that they don't matter.
  9. Malvolio Member

Many servers are desolate wastelands one of the biggest hurdles preventing people from coming back or new players joining is that they have 99 levels to solo and even then probably not find a group. Can play for days without even seeing another person but hey lets toss all that out the window because everyone above's completely "original" name may be theoretically at stake.

Not to mention merging would probably reduce the hardware footprint for the company and allow more time and energy to be spent elsewhere but I am with all the kermits, kitties, uncles, griffon ladies lets abandon the idea entirely. Clearly keeping the already dwindling populace of a dying game is better than all the advantages of having people on servers.
  10. Uncle Active Member

@malvolio

dont put me in the 20 pages of will i keep my name garbage debate. I have wanted the merges for a long long time now and have posted please just put an x after my name as long as i have ppl to run heroic/raid with. It is the 13th of Aug we should be hearing about the detail of how/when this is going to happen cause it is going to happen even if people like it or not.

uncle/ or uncle(put in humber of x's when merges actually happen)
    unclebrig or unclebrig(put in numebr of x's when mergers actually happen)
  11. suka Well-Known Member

no one said anything about abandoning anything other than an idea of wiping names. not one person here said they don't want to see a new server happen. no one is disputing the fact that some servers need to be merged. what most people are saying is don't wipe names. big difference. maybe you should have actually read the requests?
  12. Malvolio Member

Oh well all your asking for is them to completely redesign the database and go mega server route of having a playername@accountname or Player@Act# like blizzard and a few have done.. Silly me we can all go home now problem is solved its just that easy.

Question... are server transfers currently in game? How are names handled? Have previous server merges been done? How were names handled?

Boy I sure wish they had learned years ago that you could just have your cake and eat it too with every decision, that way everyones happy. Thank goodness you are all here to point out that clearly obscure fact it probably never crossed the devs minds..
  13. suka Well-Known Member

so any idea on when we will be told who will be moving and what to expect?
  14. suka Well-Known Member

well, had you actually read all 20 pages you wouldn't be asking your questions. answers:
    yes server transfers are currently in the game. yes server mergers have been done. in those cases if you have a name that is already in use on the server you are going to, you get an x by your name until you choose a new one. if it is a merger, then the person who had it first will get it if they are active and of a certain level. that is what we are asking them to do here.

and this isn't a merger. they are taking a bunch of servers and consolidating them to a new server. that hasn't been done before.
  15. Uncle Active Member

@suka

Holly was just on permafrost said an updated post about mergers should be up next week some time
  16. suka Well-Known Member

thank you. i find it interesting that the devs choose to go to one server to say that instead of posting it here. oh well. their prerogative i guess
  17. Uncle Active Member

well she was asked about ti after she posted a broadcast
  18. Uncle Active Member

I asked about it and she replied..
  19. Csipi Active Member

I think the ideal situation would be to have FOUR servers total. One being AB, 2 being the TLE servers and the last being the new server that would be a merger of all the existing ones.

This way you would always have full pop servers and it would be much easier for a small company like Daybreak to maintain and upgrade.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

at least she answered you. thank you for asking her and for posting it here