Producer's Letter: August 2015 Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. suka Well-Known Member

yeah- go to your saved layout folder, move all layouts to old (just to be safe) and then go to every house and dungeon (even unpublished) and save the layout. note to self number one on to do list.
  2. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Great point, some folks want to stay where they are, there has to be some options for them rather then being forced into an over crowded server and the risk of losing their names, houses, guild names.
  3. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

I just want to re-imput how much I dislike having 2 names as an identifier. I have played games that had this feature, all you are doing is trading a unique first name for a unique last name; which still has the problem of having to have a "unique" name. Then there is the problem of having a number added to your name, so there are people with Grun1345, Grun9893, etc. Then you not only have to remember the name, but you have to remember the number that goes with it.

No thanks; I'll go with an X at the end of my name (if I have to) with the option of using a name change potion.

First in gets the name is too cut throat; please don't do this. And I'm pretty sure I could be one of the first, but it's just smacks of carnage.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

mmm- there is another way for the names. they could leave the surname as it is, leave the first name as it is, and behind the names add an identifier - like Aerfren Starfyre of Butcherblock. that could be the full name - or add butcherblock.aerfren starfyre

they could use a hyphen between butcherblock and aerfren and i wouldn't mind. the thing is my friends would immediately know i am the aerfren they knew on butcherblock and not some other aerfren from another server
  5. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

ok I guess 17 pages are a lot to read for some people
    So here's what Hollies second post said all guilds guildhalls and houses bank accounts and shared banks are moved as is
    and its is not even planned out how things will work
    this are not the exact words but I think you get the idea
    so if you don't have both sides on Nagafen you should not have to worry about your shared bank.
    Don't know about any player made dungeons but my feeling would be those are handled like houses
    but don't take my word for it.
    so far Names are first come first pick but the last word is not spoken on that either.
    Griffon Lady and suka like this.
  6. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

I must state, that communicating via /tell Soandso, is much easier then trying to type
    /tell SirNotAppearingInThisFilm.SomeSurname.SomeServer
    Keeping names relatively short, or somehow implementing into the UI easy ways to right-click-to-tell-from-friends-list would be preferred.
  7. Simparri Active Member

The only real problem here is that this IS Daybreaks first rodeo. SOE has done it in the past & according to the posts not done it all that well & that was single server merger into another single existing server, this time they are talking about merging Multiple servers into a single New server. SOE's past record, according to those who were involved on the customers side, does not lend itself to projecting confidence in things going well or smoothly when running a merger. Having Roshen dropping the name bomb on us, disappearing & not making any further statements since is not something to inspire confidence in most of us. I know Holly is doing her outright best for us & I appreciate & value all of her hard work for us but she is not one of those who make the decisions.

I'm trying to keep my mind open but the longer that they dance around the subjects brought up the less open my mind becomes.
  8. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

correct me if I am wrong, but is not DBG just a cobbled together company from remnants of SoE game division?
  9. Simparri Active Member

The working peons yes but not all, or even most, the upper office Suits who make the decisions. I'm Positive that DBG didn't just take over financially & leave control to those with the experience with the games & knowledge of customer interaction. They put their own 'yes-men' in charge to override the 'locals' when there was the tiniest chance of losing a few pennies no matter the chance of driving customers away. I've seen that happen more than once when a takeover occurred the 'new management' automatically assumed that the 'old' employees would be obstructionist & were to be overridden whenever they drifted even slightly away from the 'party line'.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

yes but really he is right. soe never did this. it is an entirely new concept and will have lots of problems that need to be worked out. this is not merging 2 or more servers together. this is consolidating several servers, freeing them all up, and moving them to a new server- hopefully bigger and better programmed. it is like taking two or three of your computers, moving all the files to a fourth computer, and hoping they will work together.
  11. Armageddoux Active Member

Merging multiple servers into a new one is just a question of coding, loosing shared banks, or dungeons, or anything other is just a problem of bugs to be corrected (after the most complete possible numerous tests, which implies that a lot of us participate to these ones), question of guilds and position of items in it, is of the same relevant testing purpose.

To finish there are only two serious questions:
    - How to solve as good as possible the problem of names (which is a real problem) knowing that in the databases of the game, the names of the characters are only datas like many others : only players see them (with good reasons) as practical identifiers.For EQ2 program our toons are most probably only binary number (I am not a number , I am a free man ! my next reroll will be named : Numbersix (at least if this name is still available) ;) )

- What is the real purpose of merging servers ? not seen from the side of players (only one argument :more or less for the ease of grouping for dungeons purpose (reminding the game is named : "ever quest" no need of grouping most of times for questing) oopps loosing my way in parenthesis !! ), but seen from the side of Daybreak Games: servers with too low population are not and will never be bankable. There is no way to fight against this argument. We should prepare : we will be merged by hook or by crook
  12. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I don't group for these reasons also. Plus the fact that I play EverQuest, not EverParse or EverSpreadsheet.
  13. Armageddoux Active Member

I fully agree with this point of view too
  14. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

in addition to your quote of Belenos, I agree with both of you, I appreciate the "suspension of belief" or in other words, the immersion into another world EQ has always offered.
    This is also one reason why I try and keep the homes I build EQ-centric, and not have "microwave ovens" seen in them.
    It is why I appreciate the Renaissance Fairs, to which I fully dress the part of the Ranger there-in as well; to, for a time, forget the troubles of "life" and focus on something interesting or fun.

I also appreciate some of the architecture found in the game, like the massive High Keep!
    or the intricate details of items, like the Urns, for example, in Crypt of Betrayal:
    [IMG]

which I am still pining for as a tradeskill recipe or questable item,...
  15. Zarya Member

I do care about people and this goes to the people that can no longer find anyone to group with. Yes if you read what I wrote PEOPLE can no longer find enough members to group. If you think its my attitude then tell that to other respectable people trying to form groups without my involvement. Tell them that its because of them that they can no longer form groups.

If nothing is done your sure going to lose more players. I have played EQ2 since the launch and I own 3 guilds (2 raiding and 1 Tradeskill) and maintained them over the years but then again I guess it is my reputation that is really hurting my cause right? The loss of players happened to many guilds on many servers over the years.

I am not saying your a troll. It is in reference to a thread I created and it was trolled. It was not just bullied but it was also trolled by others meaning the intention of the post was diluted. SO yes I can say merge in this thread and it would be interesting to see if those trolls, not saying you, try to thwart the Daybreak started thread. I welcome other ideas that would help with what they are doing and enhancements that would help the community.

My reputation is not an issue nor my personality so I will not dive into that with you. I have mentioned the openserver travel like they do between BG and Warzone. But that has not gotten anywhere except some valid comments in why it might not be the best idea. The issue of grouping and raiding is great but people would express concern in is the marketplace, economy and tradeskilling. There is much more then just opening the server for cross server travel. I did mention locking the marketplace down but how does that solve the issues with the marketplace and tradeskills?

I have been on this subject for years and every post that i had mentioned in reference to other types of fixes, since my initial thread was trolled / or bullied about a merge, has been in the attempt to help to community not hinder it. If I wanted it to fail then I would not mention anything and let the game fail as it is currently failing.

If nothing is done and it continues to be a Ghostown as may have said over and over it might mean that this EQ2 veteran may as well take a break from this game. Which is why they need to do something now and applaud them for doing so.

Hate to say it but when EQ2 launched it was meant to be played by others not to be just a solo content game and I see this game ending up that way if nothing is done.
  16. Zarya Member

I think you missed the point as he replied to my post about separating the content on one server. Since your all about openserver why not, if they are consolidating servers incorporate a PvP version of each map. If your afraid of PvP you can deselect that as an option and have nothing to do with PvP if you so wish. So all your gameplay will be played on PvE unless you select the PvP selection.

It is like BG and Warzone but having an option of PvP Antonica or a PvE Antonica. If i like to play both I would keep them selected and if I wanted to join the PvP guild I can join them if i so wish and just play on all PvP Maps and deselect the PvE option. The content is still segregated but it will give players an option or choice to play on each side. If a PvP member would like to raid with a PvE guild then they can simply log over to the PvE side and enjoy the same content as they tend to have a hard time doing on their current server. It can be even a PvE member having a hard time wanting to PvP people unless they conduct a server transfer.

This girl definitely likes to play both PvE and PvP content. Just would suck to roll a toon or transfer onto Nagafen just to find there is no one to PvP nor able to purchase anything on the marketplace due to the prices.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

Not an ideal solution but I seem to remember at one point a dev saying something along the lines of having people able to copy to Nagafen, sort of as if Nagafen was one big battleground. That would of course mean everyone (even those currently on Nagafen) would likely have another home server. It would obviously completely change the feel of the server though.

Pvp has never been the most popular playstyle in EQ2 however one plus with them doing something like that is that people wouldn't have to pay $25 to move there and find the server dead or that they hate PVP or some other reason and then either quit or have to pay another $25 to move back where they came from.

The big minus would be it would likely no longer be a 'real' server in the way the others are. I also don't know that it would actually solve any problems.
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

do I have an idea for the pvp dilemma it was already suggested to have 2 channels parallel one for pve one for pvp
    well what if the pvp channel has a higher dropping rate and better harvesting ? I think many pve players would take the risk and get right in to the pvp area , I would
    ok maybe only over land zones no cities so we the weak people could still safely do our business

and lol Griffon Lady you sound like you want to tear somebody limb from limb
    does not sound very peaceful to me tranquility my lady
    Juraiya and suka like this.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

i have to agree. in eq1 i once moved a few toons to the pvp server. i was curious. to move to the server was free. it was the move off that cost. so i moved some alts i had brought up a bit while on the start at 50 server, which no longer exists there. they are still there and of course i found i hated pvp. but on eq1, you can have the max amount of your toons on EACH server. here each toon, no matter what server, counts against your total toons. wish they would change that. this is the only game i have played where it is that way. in all other games, you can have the max amount - in my case about 13, on each server you play on. making it a whole lot easier to run see houses.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

@ Griffin lady while i agree in essence and i don't really like to see people call each other trolls or any other name, i must say that i also don't like the idea that conclusions are drawn from someone's post about their character. i know, she struck a nerve. did with me too. but now this begins to sound a bit personal.

@ Zarya I am sorry Zarya that you are experiencing bullying. that isn't fair. i am also sorry that you are getting such inflammatory posts. to attack your character isn't fair. i understand why you posted your original complaint. sometimes however, when several people respond and then other comments are made, the conversation becomes derailing to a thread.

i understand that what i see as trolling and what someone else sees as trolling are two different things. people sometimes ridicule posts i make. they sometimes think it is funny to cut other people down. but then when i am in the middle of what i feel is a bash suka fest, someone comes in and explains things to me to help me understand better. that makes me able to ignore the idiots who think it is ok to put someone else down to make themselves feel better.