Producer's Letter: August 2015 Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. suka Well-Known Member

the bad part of all of the "safe in the house" bit is that most new crafters just starting out and over 10 don't have the huge amounts of status points to lay out on crafting stations for their houses. most barely have money to craft with. nope. very glad i chose not to go to pvp servers. and yes that and the lack of safe areas for doing things other than fighting other people were some of the reasons i chose not to be pvp. it is hard enough fighting mobs when you are harvesting. don't like the idea of someone being able to sneak up on me and kill me.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Juraiya like this.
  2. Zarya Member

Last name is unique between any given player unless your siblings play EQ2 and if they feel they must have your same last name then at that time I would say first come first serve.

The married person will take on your married name / or surname by the adopted use of your last name. Many people still use their maiden name as their unique name. No matter if your wife takes on your last name her unique name is and will be her maiden name (last name).

If you really want to use that function then change the current field that is in game to surname or/ married name and create a new field for last name or/ maiden name. Last name sounds better then using maiden name but that is just my view.

Meaning your wife grew up in what clan (last name) before she took your surname. Not to get confusing as every account should have a unique last name and if they desire to marry another toon in game then add the surname entry.

(FIRST NAME), (LAST NAME) then (SURNAME, in your example -Wyndrider)

Of course SURNAME is not unique.

Thanks
    ~Z
  3. Raff Well-Known Member

No matter how much Server merges have been begged for over all these years, I doubt everyone will be pleased with the result. So, its probably a good idea to keep an open mind about it.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with how Daybreak has been handling all the upgrades and new stuff since taking the reins of their own future in hand.

Definitely looking forward to Expansion 12 and whatever else they might have up their sleeve.
  4. Valkerie Member

Names.. lol the ultimate age old greatest worry:) Being through server merges before, hopefully DB has learned what does and doesnt work. I do remember they did a "culling" of non active toons and toons made as placeholders but never played.. so that will free some space.Yes one of the things they did was the active toon that is the oldest got the names and others had an X added to the end. Then those with an X were given time to rename for free if they chose. The X thing is stupid.. and there are better ways to do it. Think if you moved to the server and the guy with the oldest name was a complete Dbag.. ><

What Im more concerned about is the movement of the guildhall and all its contents. We just got the dang thing decorated! And the names of guilds. There are guilds with the same name. Or what if the jerkweed guild you have had issues with for months, decides to go over and make a guild taking your name? This has also been an issue in the past.. and while petitions work, it takes time.

Being a guild leader of the largest guild on our server (Guk) I highly reccomend having a plan in place for moving. BEcause no matter how much you are prepared.. you are not LOL

BTW-anyone know if the new server will be Pacific coast time? I am guessing it might depend on the majority of the time zone servers are being moved..
  5. Ratza Well-Known Member

I agree not everyone will be pleased...but if it helps the majority that is a good thing....far too many dead servers for this to be a bad idea...the thing is DBG needs to make sure this is done in a fair manner....making every single player log in to rename every toon moved is not a good idea especially if you have an old established name or only one with that name...plus like I stated before...what about all the people with jobs (most of us) who can't be logged in as soon as servers come up?
  6. Justaplayer Member

What I'm lazy about is typing /invite or /tell surname lastname, especially in those cases when the surname is long and hard to write.
    Lucus, Juraiya and suka like this.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

I have to say....I've never really been attached to character names. There are plenty of ways to spell it differently and still maintain the idea and / or sound of whatever name you are trying to get.
  8. WarWalrus New Member

I agree with Raph.
    Ruckus, Juraiya and Charlice like this.
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

There can only be one Feldon
    ~ Accept no substitute ~

10. suka Well-Known Member

yeah i entered a game where fyuri was already taken. (a name i had invented more than 10 years ago when there were no others) i had to name my toon fyuir. not the same. doesn't sound the same. doesn't feel the same. then there was mydera that someone took on the other game. no, midera does not equal mydera. you might think it does, but not. but if you want aefren, fine - just don't take aerfren- that one is mine

while aefren is the name of the goddess of war (old celtic), aerfren refers to a flight of an elf- aer being air and fren being an elfen name.

yes there are reasons behind my names- they are not just pretty names. yes there is some lore in the world about them - not necessarily norrath. do i want to give them up and lose the stories and lore behind their creation? absolutely not. i would be very upset if someone else got them. anyone else with them copied them from me.
  11. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

My two suggestions on the names.
    For the new server, implement the programing from the Battlegrounds server that allows multiple people with the same name.

If that is too complex for use on a normal server, I have a second suggestion.
    Allow the use of numbers, symbols, and punctuation in names. I'd rather be _Griffonlady_ than Gryffynlady! And I'm perfectly fine with my guild going from The Peanut Gallery to The_Peanut_Gallery. It's not the greatest solution, but it's something.
    Not everyone is worried about names, but that doesn't mean the ones really attached to their names should be ignored (and possibly lost as players. Isn't more people to play with the whole point of a server merger?)
  12. Justaplayer Member

Would you elaborate on the Battleserver part? How does /tell and other commands work there?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  13. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

And I'll bet my bottom dollar that loser squad... er lizard squad (same difference) will DDOS the living hell out of us all day. -.-
  14. Dedith Well-Known Member

if Bob from Unrest and Bob from Butcherblock where in the same battlegrounds, /tell unrest.bob would go to Bob from Unrest, and /tell butcherblock.bob would go to Bob from Butcherblock
  15. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

As far as I know, it's going to be just another useless title to tack onto your name in the character options. :\ I truly wish they would use the programing from Battlegrounds that allows multiple people to have the same name. Maybe even just for people not created on the server, if they really have a jones going for non-multiple names.
  16. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I haven't tried talking to someone on another server from BGs. o.0 I'll have to try that.

hmmm.. it says you cannot use that channel while in battlegrounds. Shouldn't be too difficult to enable cross server chat though. The PVE TLE server can. Not sure if it's combined with the multiple names part of the coding or not. /..\ For cross server chat you just type the servername.charactername or click the name on your friends list and hit the tell button if you use Proffit UI.

And YIKES! I was the only person in the BG waiting room. o.0 It's usually where I suggest people go for the roses/papers holiday quests due to the crowd there. 0.o We realllllllly need to work on ways to keep players. Allowing them to keep their names/guild names while still merging servers would be a good start.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, suka and Juraiya like this.
  17. Wurm Well-Known Member

Holly, all I ask is that you give us enough warning ahead of time to which servers are being consolidated and when.

And I really dislike the new approach to naming, it sounds like it's going to be SNAFU right from the start.
  18. Raff Well-Known Member

True...but there can also be Feldun, Faeldon, Felldon, Felldun, Feldonn, Feldunn, Felldunn, Feldone, Felldone etc..etc...
  19. Raff Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you get to keep your names. But anything can happen in server merges. All I'm saying is that you probably need to realize that you might "not" get all you want.
  20. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I love old zones! I go through the old zones more than the top level stuff. Somehow, a game where you are the hero seems more realistic when you are the only person in a zone rather than a mob of people crowded around the same NPC. I've been told to go play a console game, but having the option of asking for help, or grouping for the same credits, and my favorite, decorating and publishing a house/going and seeing other people's houses, can only be done online, and EQ2 is the best for that (although a search engine and favorites list in the Hall of Fame would be a wonderful thing).

I liked Ragnarok's method of revitalizing old content. At max level, you have the option of going back to level 1 and leveling back up to the top with better stats and spells, making the character much more powerful second time around. There would have to be restrictions to keep them from power leveling though. Nothing I hate more than some SK steamrolling every mob I need for a quest right in front of me (then usually gloating about it in OOC. -.-)

Another game I'd like to steal a mechanic from is League of Legends. If you are a nice person, people can "honor" the person by basically voting a "like" on them. (IMHO, same ISP/owner ID should not be able to do this. Sure, my husband and daughter can't "like" me, but some clown with 200 accounts can't give themselves 199 ghost "likes" either. >.>) With the low population, they might have to have some kind of refresh period on that. There could be a currency and a hero shop, maybe rotate items from the Marketplace through it, or recycle the items from the DM shop, or recolor some of the no-longer-available promo items.. There is a huge variety of things they can do. Awarding DBcash could be an option, but then it might be too tempting to cheat the system.
    Encouragement of good personal conduct is desperately needed. :\ (Or is it just CB that has nothing but trash talk, fights, peeing contests, and perverts 24/7?)