Stormhold (PvE) and Deathtoll (PvP) Servers Open Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Drizzly New Member

you are right of course... well a little bit... it is a race... a scramble even... to get to the top levels first... But it is also clear you did not participate in beta... and that you have no idea what you are talking about. your insights would be more meaningful if balanced with experience. In fact, i also expected it to be like the live servers... my expectations were very much in line with what you expected/predicted... but the experience was much different... it was as i described earlier... not as you predict... Why? well... let me explain based on my most recent experiences...

without vet rewards and vet bonuses... experience gain is s.l.o.w. If you, like me, do not pay for exp/vitality pots... you can expect lvls 1-10 to consume much more time than they do on live. on live i pass lvl 10 in an hour or so... then lock to get some AoE AA abilities... then cruse through levels like crazy. That does not work here... no AA... slow exp grind... and the quest lines have kept you attempting yellow-orange mobs... you might actually die...

Furthermore, you start with nothing. literally. no gear except: 1, 4-slot bag, and a weapon. ok so maybe not "literally" (two items). no shoes, not shirt... because exp.gain is so slow, and because you'll be facing mobs tougher than you, it is actually useful to grab a bunch of tin, roots, rawhide, etc... and gear up with some Handcrafted craptastic gear and bags. This will no doubt appeal to RP-type players more than PL-type players. and therefore, the server will, in general, attract that kind of player.

As a large population of players surge through low level content... you will find groups for zones you currently solo (with a merc perhaps) on the regular servers. Many players enjoy this. Currently, these zones are ghost-towns on most regular servers... you must get to max-level to have the EQ2 group experience... not so on the TLE servers. Firemyst Gully is fun again... Stormhold... etc... etc... (for a limited time of course) once you find a good grp, hit the dungeons and lvl up to 30 is not so bad... get a toon up to 30... and vote... not so hard in 30 /days. New Cliques, new guilds, new discoveries, new friends, and new memories...

I do think there will be some challenges... for players... and for Daybreak... this is the first brave thing Daybreak has done (imho)... but did they do it right? I do not yet know. There are issues of balance that i doubt will be addressed by the time they go live on Tuesday. because i love EQ2, I wish Daybreak would take the time to get it right... Especially since they are banking on this to bring in new players and retired vets alike. If they blow it, they've lost a chance to expand the gaming community... so crucial for an MMO. furthermore, a delay would allow the TLE servers, and regular servers, to benefit from a clever meme-laden marketing campaign... which sadly SOE failed to EVER successfully launch for EQ2 (again imho)... but if they do this launch wrong... over-nickle-and-dime players... and fail to address bugs and balance issues... well... you never get a second chance at a first impression... or do you? if you do this is it--better get it right... right?

In closure, not all players will enjoy this. Some will. You may be one of the many who will not enjoy it. But, if you don't try it, you don't know... don't hold your breath... you might pass out... Personally, i always enjoy virgin servers... Bazaar, Nagafen, Freeport... Test... started toons on all of them when they launched. just my way i guess.

happy trails...
    Karolin, Miltin, Jaden and 2 others like this.
  2. Glenorian Well-Known Member

Ok, saw that I read the level required to vote was not what I thought. So yes, this will favor those who start on the servers earlier.
  3. Glenorian Well-Known Member

Ok, so who all is going to jump on as soon as these open? I'm in eastern time so that will be 3 am for me...
    Drizzly and HaphazardAllure like this.
  4. Drizzly New Member

Wait-what...!? what time do they start? 3 am eastern? that is... um... 1 am mountain time! (midnight California time) is this true? i missed the time announcement...
  5. Drizzly New Member

make that a "hells yeah!"
    Glenorian and Jaden like this.
  6. Jaden Well-Known Member

7. Jaden Well-Known Member

Sorry for the triple/double whatever happened post above...did so on my phone and didn't see it needed editing quickly enough to catch it :oops:.
  8. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Actually it's 12 PM PDT so that's 3 PM EST.
    Glenorian likes this.
  9. Gourdon Well-Known Member

I asked about the character slots so I would have time to prepare, and I just deleted two characters on my account. Anyone that is all access is getting enough free DC to buy a slot every other month. Anyone who has been playing a while and hasn't been free to play the whole time should have a buffer of DC to get them started. Anyone that hasn't been all access in the past or spends their DC the moment they get it, it's really hard to not think that you should pay a little extra to play on the new servers.
  10. Gilasil Active Member

Earlier they had said all classes would be available (I'd be on the PvE server). I see they reneged and my favorite class (beastlord) won't be. Yes I know the beastlord wasn't around in the early days, but every single one of the original classes has changed so much over the years that it's hardly the same class anymore. They certainly weren't around in their present form in the old days.

Guess I won't be playing.
  11. Mystfit Well-Known Member

I have a concern about this. If I have rolled on the server and want to go slow and enjoy the ride, then there is a chance I can't vote if I don't make the proper level. Isn't that kind of like stacking the deck? The people who want to dash through content and get to max level will be there and good to go to vote, but the people who want it to stay locked might not be eligible to vote.
    30 days really isn't that long to get to 30 if you want to be slower paced. I don't feel like this offers a fair *sampling* of everyone's desires. I mean if only the fast leveling are gonna be voting, then may as well just unlock as that could potentially be the only votes you get. I don't want to dash to 30 only to get my voice heard.
    Maybe like PVP, we PVE's could have two servers. One tortoise server and one rabbit server.
    Aldo, does it base soley on adventure or does crafting level count?
    Belenos and Seefar like this.
  12. Foretold Well-Known Member

If you're taking your time anyway, what does it matter if the speedy folks plow forward to the next expansion? Shouldn't change your play at all.
  13. Mystfit Well-Known Member

I thought about that, but with a new expansions comes the unlock of new features that might affect my game play. I could just continue not to *use* those features until I've leveled but heck, I could do that more or less on live. I want this to be special ;)
    Araleth likes this.
  14. Siren Well-Known Member

This will affect the PvP server to a much greater degree, as there are the AA slider, research assistants, and 340 AAs eventually available, and more and more of the AAs unlock by the 100s as more expansions are released. A bunch of people want a perma-locked Kingdom of Sky server, but the current 340-AA God-Mode locked twinks on Nagafen who can 2-shot any levelers going by them at the 9s of every tier are going to be pushing hard for as many expansion unlocks as they can get, and as quickly as possible too.

I dread having the TL-PvP degenerate into Nagafen 2: The Sequel.
  15. flameweaver Well-Known Member

But there is likely to be an impact, that being if your still playing in the "older content", where do you then get players to group with you when - maybe - most of them, have rushed off to the new content and level caps.

What worries me, is that within a year, the TLE servers will be as dead as the current servers as the majority of players will have voted very 30 days for, the next expansion and then complaining there's nothing beyond level 100 and AoM raiding. Hopefully this won't be the case and maybe I'm being pessimistic.

I'd rather the vote be all inclusive and at a baseline 60 day interval. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:
  16. Gourdon Well-Known Member

The reason why they are requiring a within 20 levels of cap character is to block mischief on the part of people who only play on a regular server, but want to harm the TLE servers by voting in a way they think will make the TLE servers unpleasant for the people that play there.
  17. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. The potential is there for "mischief" whichever way they do this but I'd doubt, especially with the probable server merges sometime this year perhaps and the need to be all access to even get on the TLE's that "regular players" would not really be a problem. My assumption here is the vote will be limited to those who actually play on the TLE's and no the entire player base, in which case I don't see the need for any kind of exclusion.

My main gripe though is that 30 days for the first vote is too short, with that timescale, there is the potential for the TLE servers to be capping level100 in around 12 months. Better, in my view, would be 60 days between first vote, and then 30 day intervals for any re-votes, if the first returns a NO to the next expansion/cap increase.
    Belenos likes this.
  18. Mystfit Well-Known Member

You mean by not voting the way the majority might vote ;) Either way could also mean the majority isn't been represented so it may even out... or perhaps it does not even matter. The odd way that EQ interpreted it's poll data has me wondering today.
  19. Jaden Well-Known Member

-------------
    Thanks Gourdon, just another clarification question please. Can you or someone link the dev's response on how the character slots are going to be handled please? I have fumbled through the threads but only see players answering and can't find the official explanation.

1) We must be subbed All Access players, and 2) Unlike some games where you get a certain number of slots to play on any separate server -- here in EQ II we only get 8 (or w/vet status 10 or something like that...?) so 3) I need to hop on my oldschool account which I dug up, and delete however many slots I'd like to play with on the new TLE servers OR purchase some extra ones? I have 10 at this point.

Thanks much!
  20. Siren Well-Known Member

Roshen states on page 2 of this very thread:

These servers will share a character limit with regular EverQuest 2 servers.
    @Roshen
    EverQuest 2 Community Manager