The EQ2 Time-Locked Server Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vinyard, Jun 4, 2015.

1. KhaineUK Active Member

This has nothing to do with purchasable prestige homes and everything to do with the fact MOST of the assets are still available BECAUSE of the prestige home. Apparently you missed that part.
  2. Jeht New Member

Can we also bring back the original zone soundtracks for Qeynos and Freeport?

Qeynos -

Freeport -

Nostalgia.. and.. does new Qeynos/Freeport even have a soundtrack? I logged in and heard nothing.
    Xerish, Seefar, gqwild and 3 others like this.
  3. Mandrollen New Member

Well, well. Old hand here from the mists of time. ( 2002 EQ) I will be definitely giving this new server a go, and will likely be doing the all-access in hopes of trying out the new Ragefire Classic in EQ1. Yes, it seems some here in this thread can't understand nostalgia but I assure you it truly does exist. Hoping to find some old comrades this summer!
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  4. Baltazarr Member

I’m a veteran player, I started to play in early 2005 and I love the idea of a TLE server. Thank you for this. I get it that we won’t get the game as it used to be back then however the main concern most players have is that the old content is going to be trivialized with the new combat system and mechanics unless something is done.

There are three options :
    Option 1 :
    The content from old expansions is redesigned to compensate the huge increases in DPS. Good luck with that.

Option 2:
    The following adjustments are made (this will not magically fix things but it’ll mitigate the problem).

1)AA:

It has been mentioned that there should be no AA until they were originally introduced. I agree 100%. However it raises questions like, do devs want to bring back the old original KoS tree (example STA line for warrior only working if you have a buckler equipped) or not.

I think it’s safe to assume that it won’t be the case since they don’t have the old data. But at the very least when they introduce the KoS tree when KoS is unlocked it should be the one we have as of today but without the last 2 lines which were added only in SF and ofc limit the AA to 50.

EoF unlocked: add the EoF tree (without the 2 last line which were introduced in SF) raise the cap to 100 points (50 spent in KoS tree and 50 in EoF tree). On a side note do not introduce deities until EoF is unlocked.

RoK unlocked: raise the cap to 140 (70 points max in each tree).

TSO unlocked: add the TSO tree raise the AA cap to 200 (70/70/60).

SF unlocked: add the last 2 lines to the KoS and EoF tree and raise the cap to 250 (100/100/60 was the max spendable points in each tree back then).

DoV unlocked: add the heroic tree raise the cap to 300

Etc..

2)Combat mechanic/gear

Get rid of all blue stats on T5, DoF, Kos and EoF gear.
    Flurry, AB mod, potency, crit bonus, crit chance, multi-attack, double cast, casting speed, ability recovery speed, ability reuse speed, DPS, AE attack etc etc etc… all that has to disappear from early gear.

No Crit chance: the ability to crit was added in KoS and the only way to get crit chance was through the KoS AA (20% crit chance was more like the max you could get back then). Crit chance on gear first appeared in RoK iirc and only on very few items. All content until KoS is designed with no crit in mind. Unless you want to revamp all mobs (increase their HP) do not let player be able to crit until KoS and even in KoS limit crit chance to AA only, not gear.

No AE attack: ability was added in KoS and also limited to AA only (max reachable AE attack was 40% back then iirc)

No multi-attack: The mechanic was introduced in KoS and it was called double attack back then. The only way to get double attack chance was through AA. What do you do with class buffs like Villainy (assassin buff) which increases the player’s mutli-attack chance

No attack speed: The only way to melee faster until TSO (?) was “haste” found on gear (it made you melee 20% faster) and it was not stackable.

No casting speed: casting speed was added in KoS and you could get it from AA not gear.

I could go on and on but you’re getting it.

Option 3:
    Option 1 + Option 2
    Even if you go wit option 2 some of the new mechanic won't disappear from the early combat since plenty of classes have self/group/raid buffs whith those new mechanics.
    Assassin mutli attack chance self buff, Monk raid wide buff "calm tranuility" ability casting speed + attack speed buff etc, etc etc......

All in all thanks for giving us a TLE server but make sure you do it right otherwise the content from early expansion will be way too trivial.
  5. Wabit Active Member

In the t1-t5 game haste stacked and you could crit (think the agi/weapon skill stats dictated the chance). Zerker Rampage was ungodly for a time. I remember having 4 shields on my hotbars for the buckler/ToS swaps. I forget what food/totems/potions did for buffs. But the AE attacks only came via CA, double attacks unheard of, AA was a meeting place in RL.

Most classes had to worry about 3+ of the stats then too, Mages were always looking for more str (slow mo mage with too may coppers lol).

Gear that you grew into is why most of the loot got fubared with LU13. Crafting was hard, multi classes needed for about everything, and it could kill you. Mobs immune to crush,slash, or pierce were common t5 endgame.

The game only became trivial once I got fully fabled, even then I could only solo 47ish and below named ^^^ on my guard.

As much as I'd like to be able to reinstall from the disks and go play, tanking as a guard was broken (in a good way for me). I only really had to worry about agro for the 5 secs of any fight; pull, cycle buffs, and let Templar reactive take care of hate. Zerker Rampage and the Swashy taunt attack only times I might lose it (then they die and mob is back on me lol).

Mana Regen was king for everyone, RoI was the most sought after item for all but MT.

To bring back some of the difficulty put the CA's back on their original cooldowns (how many times did you hear the Sin swear when Assassinate missed?). Make all the loots tradeable, it was so much easier for the RL to just loot and worry about dkp later. Make sure there aren't plain wood boxes on epic named (contested Vox did that alot). I liked the book quests (kill # mobs, turn page kill # other mobs).

I lvled fasted than most, but it was mostly questing and destroying everything along the way, only times I really camped was when waiting for named to pop for a quest.
  6. Krov Active Member

Imo , a lot of people are overly concerned about overpowered x y z .

The thing people need to understand , there will be nothing on the broker , no easily created master crafted gear ie just buying the raws for example, no ability to twink , power level, dungeon que or in general some basic things at current most of you probably take for granted.

It will be a fresh start , and a lot of players in general just need a breath of fresh air. I for one understand devs it wont be perfect but you are trying and in general most of us appreciate it.

For the rest of us lets keep it constructive .... we can all tell storys about back in the day. What we need to do is focus on what is realistic and help with positive feed back for what we can help with in general.

and my rose colored moment 8 manning Vox contested and soloing fear rooting epics/contested.

I miss the Downward Spiral and Tunabash :( I do hope this server brings back some old school players :)

So my addition to the thread ....

Lower the rare base % for harvesting to roughly what it was at launch.
  7. Baltazarr Member

Haste didn't stack (was fixed very soon in the early LU).
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/haste-stack.94136/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/do-haste-items-stack.100022/

For example http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/939723902 and http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/3923642005 will not stack however one of these 2 items will stack with the proc from http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/2369352651

Before KoS was released it was impossible to crit as the mechanic didn't exist and for a time (2 expansions) the crit mechanic was limited to AA only. The first items with + crit appeared back in RoK.

Lol yeah I still remember how happy I was when i found the rock to start the quest on my warlock (on a side note you can only get the quest starter from mob drops nowadays :/ ) .
  8. Wabit Active Member

Now that you mention it I do remember the patch where Item "Haste" stopped (it's when I stopped 2h soloing), but was more thinking of the different CA's that you could stack and those clicky rings.

I'll concede the crit, cause I don't remember huge hits before that SK named in Vyemm's.
  9. Nanooo/Crawlin New Member

The different CA's in the circle were called Heroic Opportunities. More for PvE I believe. But if the Bards, Zerker or some other class did completed the circle or started. (I forget how it worked, kinda fuzzy) The group was rewarded a buff that lasted a few mins and could be used during PvP.
  10. Baltazarr Member

I disagree trivialized content will be a big problem if the gear isssue is not adressed.
    Back in T5 the most a player could do was 400-500 DPS................ and mobs were designed in balance with that. Darathar the hardest mob back in T5 had and still has 1.5 million HP.
    However most of the gear has been updated/upgraded to todays standards but the mobs haven't.

One example out of thousands: The Acidic Mass in CTdrops the following item http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/2270282767
    This item is so much better than any original item from back in the days.

Same goes for heritage quest rewards. The items are way better than they used to be. Linking a few items that people will be using for T5 raids:
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/4206960663
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/3543440352
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/4143343877
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/3778949172
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/3314178841
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/124071189

I'm sure you don't even need Mastercrafted gear to beat T5 raid mobs, handcrafted gear + heritage gear is enough so lowering the base % rare harvest chance won't change anything.
  11. Baltazarr Member

Another important thing that has been mentioned already. Do not release the splitpaw saga right away otherwise ppl will be powerleveling (solo) in Trial of Harclave and other zone from the pack.

Wait until a good majority of the players are 50.
    Bunkie likes this.
  12. Daghammer Member

While I am sure you are right, Baltazarr, I can't quite understand why people would do that. Why roll on a TLP server then powerlevel? It makes no sense to me but I am sure you are right.
  13. Rolien Active Member

How exactly will the first 8 levels be handled? Without isle you will be to underlevel for anything. Why is it not possible to have it start you on the island again? The zones still exist people still have characters in them. It seems all they did was remove it as a starting area from new characters. If you were to keep the current starting zones the only one that makes any sense is darklight woods.

Gfay is EoF, Gorowyn is RoK, and Halas was just before SoF. Darklight was I think during RoK due to shard of hate raid. But at least its hooked to the commonlands.

I mean I get that adding the isle again as a starting zone would affect all servers starting zone list but people have been asking to have them back anyway so why not just add them again?
    Hreysti likes this.
  14. Bunkie New Member

yes, please lock them down at start
  15. Bunkie New Member

I agree. No flying mounts for as long as possible
  16. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Read the Timelocked forums at the EQ site. (The dark side of EQ is strong over there though, just a warning.) Within a few days, the first main raid name was taken down. Powerleveling all over the place. And then camps for all the important gear droppers. It would be nice if we didn't get any of that here, but I am sure the camping will be rampant.
  17. Rotherian Well-Known Member

That is why I'm considering giving the TLE server a pass (i.e. not creating a character on it) until sufficient time has passed for people to get their server first discos out of the way. And when I do finally create a character, I'll probably remain ~10 levels under cap so that the content that I am doing will be less likely to have permacamps.
  18. resonate Active Member

Could always make a guy and take your time doing the quests and stuff like that.
  19. Louly Well-Known Member

I like Jeht's idea - bring back the old music!!!
    Seefar, Pixistik and gqwild like this.
  20. Yuudai Member

This makes me sad,Can't log on the server with a silver account I've had since Echoes