The EQ2 Time-Locked Server Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vinyard, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Rarrum Active Member

What about Channeler and Beastlord? Will those be playable from the start?
  2. Xhieron New Member

I'm going to be another voice in favor of the Isle and hovels, but if it can't be done it can't be done.

I have a lot more experience with the early days of the game than its current iteration, and so what defined the experience for me were things that it's impossible to reproduce (branching classes, for example). I remember being so excited when I finally became the class I'd been working toward on each of my early characters, and I remember my first little house with its sparse decorations. I really felt like a refugee, like a turn-of-the-century Irish immigrant; that's how powerful the atmosphere was.

That's half my wishlist. The other half is much easier to satisfy: I just want to play with other people in those early levels again.

Now I just have to decide on a class. ;_;
  3. isest Active Member

Why did somebody not back that data up, you had plenty of folks complaining about it before, during and after the fact. I guess asking for freeport burbs back, and freeport like it was like at the start of the game is out of the question as well?
  4. Liav Well-Known Member

At some point I guess it just isn't practical to hold on to tons of gigs of old data. I will say that it is shortsighted to an extent, but it is what it is.
  5. Praaji Member

I wasn't here for classic EQ2 (I came a short while before ftp) so I have no input of value on this subject. I quit a while back because of some changes that have since been reverted. I just wanted to say I recently started playing again and I would love to play on a classic server.
  6. isest Active Member

Now that I actually read all 7 pages, I see that a red name showed up and already said no that they can not go back and do this. Such a shame as now I have zero interest in a locked progression server. I know a lot of folks will love it, and that means that on servers that were already dying off, its going to be more of a ghost town. I surely hope the come up with a way for us to transfer and entire account of of a server to another server right now for all 13 of my level 100's it would be costly.
  7. Mankar Active Member

One question. Will first kill artifacts be on the loot tables like they were? For instance, the Matron's Heart from the Matron in Mystic Lake? Because they should be...
  8. Aeneka Member

I think forcing you to do a quest to advance is a good idea, alot like the tradeskilling stuff and having to talk to NPCs about what you want to do. I really wish we could bring back class progression but unfortunately theyve said itd be too difficult at this moment
  9. SandsMans Active Member

I really would like to see a progression server be successful for EQ2.

But for me at least, it will be DOA without the original tutorial and island, racial hovels, citizenship and sub class quests. Those to me are what made your character have purpose, and none of the starter zones since have even come close.

I'll still roll a toon on it though to check it out.
  10. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Isn't a progression server just another way of saying EQ2 used to be better? I would rather a see a new better world, than just be locked into history.
  11. resonate Active Member

They should be 100%. Those mobs were designed to have their first chest by default have them. If you got Cheldrak stuck in a wall and needed a GM to get the chest for you it would expire before he got there and he'd regenerate a new chest and every time it had Chel'Draks Tooth in it. Even on Nagafen/vox etc the bloodline chroniicles xpac myth dropped
  12. resonate Active Member

We'll call you when EQNext comes out, kk
  13. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

I won't be playing EQNext, I hope you have fun though.
  14. Fredsto New Member

The inability to revert mechanics makes this just a feature lock server of everything that exists in the game right now. I can't see this invoking much nostalgia for me when the things that made EQ2 back then are completely gone. It would be no different than me starting a new character now and just preventing myself from using certain features, zones, and locking my level at 50 (or whatever level). Some people are asking for things that would obviously need mechanic changes and that's one thing they wont do. No spirit shards, archetype class progression system, crafting system changes, or general stat changes. It doesn't seem that there will be anything different than how mechanics work right now, other than certain accessible features now just won't be. Overlands NEED to be heroic again, which seems like it would be one of the easier requested changes. There needs to be something different than normal servers beyond just locking features and zones.
  15. Exur Well-Known Member

This is actually what TLP servers are in EQ1 and now in EQ2. You'll have to wait for Project2004 to get your full nostalgia, cause EQ1 TLP servers are NOT Project1999 either. I wish people would understand this and stop saying it won't be fun cause they won't have their Isle that takes 30 minutes to clear.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

Level 10-80 gear these days so completely and totally trivializes old content that I'm not sure the old content can be made challenging again without drastic changes.

I am envisioning some kind of debuff placed on players through level 10-80 that reduces the effectiveness of worn armor and jewelry by something like 75%.

I can also envision some kind of zonewide buff on NPCs in overland zones that uptiers all mobs by 2 points (to a max of 12). A single-arrow-down mob would become a single-arrow-up. A single-arrow-up would be come a Heroic triple arrow. An Epic x 2 would become an Epic x 4.

I want to be afraid to pull a gnoll in Antonica again. And that's only going to happen if my average piece of gear is +2 agi and the mobs are ^^^ Heroic. Otherwise, I'm going to snooze through the content as I do now, just with less AAs and slower travel. Just my 2 cents.

One more thing...

Add a serverwide debuff so that all mounts are slowed by:
    • level 1-19 : 80%
    • level 21-35: 60%
    • level 36-50: 50%
    • level 51-69: 30%
    • level 70-80: 15%
    Enkefalos, oakmiser, Mankar and 3 others like this.
  17. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Starting a new character on a new server that may end up being popular may be better than trying to get 'moved' from a dead server to AB. it may be the best way to get on an active server, even if you mostly get outleveled, many will be on the same plane as you.

But then again why would anyone start over just for the heck of it, when you know the end is going to be like it is now.

I doubt that I will be trying this new server, I can't keep up with dailies on my current server as it is.
  18. Roshen Well-Known Member

The appeal is hard to explain to someone that isn't interested. But I'm going to try anyways :)

Picture a TV show you enjoy quite a lot: That show has different episodes and different seasons. You may not like every episode/season as much as others, even if you love the show. There may even be people that disagree over which season is best, even thought they BOTH love the show.

Such is EQ2. It's okay to have opinions on which expansions/zones you like the most. And while people can go visit those zones today, it's not like a TV show where you can just watch an old episode again. Much of our enjoyment in those old zones came when we experienced them when they were relevant to our characters and our friends. It's one thing to reroll a new character. It's another thing entirely when a server is fresh and EVERYONE on that server is having a new character experience at the same time as everyone else on the server.

This isn't to say that we don't want to improve the current game. There is more than one kind of EQ2 players, and it's not realistic to believe that every piece of content we create to appeal to every type of player all of the time. Our goal with these Time-Locked servers is to create a place where players can have a unique EQ2 experience that they can't have on live servers.
    Ecno, oakmiser, Gourdon and 5 others like this.
  19. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Very true and very good ideas, tbh. I just do not feel threatened lately, except in new expac stuff, and that's mostly because they deliberately made the mobs hit for average damage but have really high hp.
  20. Atan Well-Known Member

Is there a plan to first fix the current server populations prior to adding progression servers to further dilute the playerbase across more servers?

Also, in general, all of this sounds a whole lot better than it will actually play. Once you actually play with all the limitations everyone is reminiscing as being 'better', you quickly realize why it wasn't really all that 'fun'.