The EQ2 Time-Locked Server Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vinyard, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Gninja Developer

Do you guys prefer time locked expansions or vote based system? Just throwing questions out there lol :)
  2. Gninja Developer

Is that what the majority of folks want? Discuss!
    Bunkie and oakmiser like this.
  3. Vinyard Active Member

I have 0 memories of those adventure packs. If you launch a server starting from original, I would include them since it was part of the original experience.
  4. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Can't say I've ever done a progression server but I'd say it depends on how the playerbase on the server plays it. What the majority want after a few months or if a large portion are leaving after being bored for so long.

I'd really like to see this succeed but without the Isle of Refuge you are missing a HUGE, AWESOME tutorial of everything EQ2 has to offer from secret finding to optional quests to housing. I imagine quite a few new players will take interest in EQ2 once this launches and you will need to have something different than the WoW style starting areas you have now... Which Isle of Refuge did at launch.

Hopefully you guys can make something unique and engaging for that.
    Jaden likes this.
  5. Liav Well-Known Member

I like the raid based progression of Ragefire.

Clear all raid mobs in a given expansion, initiate a countdown timer that will unlock the next expansion.

One thing I should add is that, comparatively, EQ's progression may be a little long for a game like EQ2, but it's difficult to say.

Breaking up the expansions into multiple locks (for instance, how Sentinel's Fate worked with the delayed launch of Underfoot Depths) would probably be necessary to keep players enticed. There isn't really any modern data to go by about how long it will take dedicated progression guilds with modern knowledge to cut through old content.
  6. resonate Active Member

Splitpaw had scalable content. Bloodlines I don't think did. The only thing is a lot of people will just go farm harclave solo zone for xp instead of grouping
    oakmiser likes this.
  7. Iadien Active Member

See, nothing is impossible. Thanks for this. I wonder what the people that constantly talked down to us about wanting one of these are thinking. haha

I would prefer a time locked and voting. Personally.
    Avirodar and Fetish like this.
  8. Drew575 Active Member

I would like the PVP server be rolled back to EOF/KOS time frame when damage out put was even for all the classes...of course each class would have its perks of course( make taunts how they used to be) make mez, stun stifle daze etc like it was before...make it fun) i am hoping they dont butch this
  9. Malachy Well-Known Member

My heart skipped a beat when I read it in the official new release. What do I want? I just want IT! Would it be cool if we got to keep current UIs, prestige housing and tradeskill enhancements? Yes. Otherwise, I don't care. Seriously, I will be all over it.
  10. Corydonn Well-Known Member

It'd also be interesting to see old events redone again like the building of the griffon towers, some wizard spires... And perhaps even a certain unannounced plague.
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  11. Foretold Well-Known Member

ZOMG the plague...

I am actually looking forward to having to use boats to travel again.
    Kuulei and Seefar like this.
  12. Drew575 Active Member

Also adding to the subject of PVP server

No fast travel hubs, no guild halls, pvp has to be enabled from lvl 10 to max(what ever that may be).

Please make it evil vs good (as that is how nagafen started)

Evil chars- sk brigand coercer inquis necro etc etc
    Good chars- pally, swash, illy, templar, conj etc etc

If u decide to add exile faction (make it so that only evil exiles can group with evil characters and good exiles with good characters, that way the times of Onyx and Havoc are not reborn, but make it so that they can kill each other) that way noone can complain about one guild dominating the server

8 - 10 pvp level ranges in all zones

I will post as i remember the great times I used to have in this game as I grew up.
  13. Drew575 Active Member

Also cap run speed at a staggering 40-45 % with spirt of the wolf from warden, NO FLYING MOUNTS!!!
    Bunkie, Koren and Seefar like this.
  14. resonate Active Member

I can't remember what the plague was just that I started playing like right as it got released so I thought it was normal. But yeah that's what I'd like to one of the reasons I'd like to see SOTL, Splitpaw, and bloodline released a little later. Will also help for when the server is a bit old and population starts to die to have this content put in a little later
  15. Strane New Member

Even if we can't have the original Isle of Refuge (or at least something somewhat similar, like a hybrid of Queen's Colony and Isle of Refuge where we start as one of the original 24 classes, but still go through the Isle of Refuge quest line), I think it would be great if the raid zones for the 'Fire and Ice' timeline were challenging but still doable. It's a great quest line, and I know I'm not the only one who wants to actually experience it, instead of grinding through it on a high level toon nowadays on the current servers.
    Koren and Azeren like this.
  16. Drew575 Active Member

Also, No silly amount of AA's cap it at 100 (like it was before) in EOF
  17. resonate Active Member

Classic had 0, so did DoF. KoS had 50
    Kuulei likes this.
  18. Grayven Member

It's disappointing that the progression server won't actually use original mechanics; it sounds like it will mostly just be gating current-game content.

With that limitation in mind, I'm not really in favor of using either "time" or "votes" for the PVE server. I would like to see a construct where the server has to reach a set of goals appropriate for the locked level range. Not just raid bosses.. it would include required contributions from crafters, heroic nameds, completed writs, shinies, guild raids, common drops, quests (normal, and heritage), etc. A server-wide running total quest would track progress so that everyone could see what is needed, and absolutely anyone would be able to contribute regardless of playstyle.
    Mystfit, Matia, Seefar and 2 others like this.
  19. Nicolos Active Member

I am currently on Ragefire and having a great time so when I heard this announcement, absolutely I would play EQ2 and relive those launch days. The problem I foresee with this is that not enough work is willing to be done to make it ideal. We have devs already stating that bringing the isles back and sub cities is too much work and won't be doing it. Nostalgia is what drives these type of servers and those first, now missing, parts of the game are what would bring so many back.

I am not advocating a pre LU13 spell set and going back to group debt, spirit shards etc. While great, I do realize that's unfeasible. What I personally want to see is a classic release, then moving into DoF, KoS, etc. I think that's what many are envisioning. But if the isle and sub cities aren't returning, then where would we start? All other starting cities are locked into other expansions. I suppose we could just be dropped into FP and Qeynos and rely on the few outside areas to supplement those levels but that would be a huge disappointment. Surely at the point that those were taken out, enough discussion on progression servers had been mentioned to at least archive those areas? I don't know, I have zero experience in game design and if it's too much work then it is too much work. :). Just a little sad.
    Jaden, Koren and Avirodar like this.
  20. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Here's my 2 cents. I'll grudgingly accept that the Isle of Refuge and the old neighborhoods are unrealistic. However, both Qeynos and Freeport have a full compliment of newbie adventure zones like Oakmyst Forest, Forest Ruins, The Graveyard, The Sunken City, as well as extensive sewer systems, all before unleashing everyone into Antonica and The Commonlands.

I suggest having new characters start in their respective city in the vicinity of their racial mentor/adviser.

In terms of unlocks... I vote for the Ragefire model.

How will itemization look? As it stands right now, modern itemization, just from handcrafted gear alone, is enough to trivialize everything through KoS.
    Aeneka and NrthnStar5 like this.