An Open Dialogue Regarding Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickStern Active Member

RadarX said not to listen to rumor to a question about banning someone from a comment made on a third party site.
    Then went on in the same breath to state HE does ban people based on comments on third party sites.
    That is the contradiction in reference!
  2. Hammdaddy Active Member

tbh flames never really had that bad of posts, it was all good drama
    Vainamoinen and Filly67 like this.
  3. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

I would like to add my views on the posting limit suggestion.

I can see how it would help stop some people 'running off at the mouth', so to speak, but it could also seriously hamper active, meaningful discussion.

Often I have made a post, thought that was all I needed to say, then I get fairly challenged on a point, which I reply to. Then someone raises a point I hadn't thought of and I wish to reply/support/refute them. Then an update to info gets announced and I comment on that....etc etc. It isn't always post-my-view and I'm done. In a lot of threads, a post limit of only 3/4 posts would make it completely impossible to discuss things properly. The post limit would have to be fairly high, 10+ I would suggest, for it not to be unreasonably limiting. I've had some great discussions in threads in here (without being moderated I will add) where I posted a lot in one thread. I would hate for constructive posters to be limited just to prevent the non-constructive ones needing so much moderation.

It would also run the risk of people seeing it as a form of censorship, of gagging dissent (rightly or wrongly, it makes no difference) - if a 3 or 4 post limit had been imposed on the Proseiben Feedback thread, for example, hell would have broken loose even worse than it did.

Again, it comes down to 'punishing' the innocent because of the actions of the guilty - in order to reduce workload. Not a good precedent IMO.
    Moonpanther and Malleria like this.
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

:eek::(
    Hammdaddy, Jeeshman, Alenna and 6 others like this.
  5. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

It's already been discussed. Your leap of logic does not make him contradict himself. You simply read what you want to read and make accusations based on that and, regardless of how much clarification that you're given, you keep harping on about it. I suggest taking some time and carefully reading what people are saying. You'll end up much better for it.
    Moonpanther and Caith like this.
  6. RadarX Community Manager

You may have never seen this publicly so get a good look...

I completely agree with Feldon's point of view on this.
    Katz, Moonpanther, Kryvak and 3 others like this.
  7. RadarX Community Manager

I'm not sure it would be needed on a global scale. The functionality I saw would allow you to add it per thread and in important feedback threads I'm ok with saying "you can only post 10 times." Maybe that 11th post would have been on genius level but we may have to sacrifice it to keep thread bloat limited.
    Katz and Feara like this.
  8. RadarX Community Manager

In the spirit of openness I've asked Nick to drop this. He's made his point, I've made mine and I don't think we'll see eye to eye on it. We're just going to move on.
    Moonpanther and Feara like this.
  9. Prayos Well-Known Member

Looks like the talk of Russians taking over wasn't as far fetched as it might seem. Columbus Nova, the group that now owns DBG, is owned by a parent company called Renova Group, which is a Russian conglomerate. Are we going to have special moderation rules so that the Russian Mob doesn't come after us?
    NickStern likes this.
  10. Prayos Well-Known Member

"In the spirit of openness, don't talk about it." That seems contradictory.
    NickStern likes this.
  11. Feldon Well-Known Member

When the company was owned by Sony, did you fear the Yakuza? Did you learn to love sushi? Well, I did, but that had nothing to do with SOE. ;)
    Alenna, Katz, Kraeref and 4 others like this.
  12. Prayos Well-Known Member

Yes, I did. As per our former Japanese Overlords sushi was in my diet regularly. I fully look forward to our Russian Overlords and their heads of cabbage.
    Katz and Caith like this.
  13. RadarX Community Manager

Normally this would be moderated. Let's go ahead and move on from this as well.
  14. Prayos Well-Known Member

As my friend Rocket Raccoon said: "You just like to suck the joy out of everything."
    NickStern and Feldon like this.
  15. RadarX Community Manager

I'm a bit of a comic nerd and I loathe that character... My co-workers torture me with it regularly. Who have you been talking to? Roshen? This won't be forgotten.
    Katz and Moonpanther like this.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

The real reason why RadarX and I don't get along. Rocket is my kind of smart ***. :)
    Fetish, Katz, NickStern and 2 others like this.
  17. Prayos Well-Known Member

Now I know you're not human. How could you not like Rocket?! He's awesome as hell. And he likes guns. Cute, cuddly, and gun loving. The perfect animal.
    Pipsissiwa likes this.
  18. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Is there any functionality that, instead of a specific limit for the entire life of a given thread, would allow limiting a player to x amount of posts within y amount of time (say an hour, a quarter of a day, or maybe even per day - whatever seems the most reasonable) within a given thread? This would allow a player the ability to make a followup post while at the same time not allowing a player to monopolize the discussion within a thread.

So as to respect RadarX's request that the subject be dropped, I'm taking this to PMs. The gist, though, is that there is a difference between being completely owned by another company and being affiliated with that other company.

I interpreted it as, "In the interest of full disclosure, I have asked NS to drop it." You are, of course, entitled to interpret things however you want - regardless whether that interpretation satisfies the reasonable person test*.

Some folks just don't like furries...er...furry things. :eek: :p

* i.e. Is the interpretation one that a reasonable person would be likely to make?
    Moonpanther and Pipsissiwa like this.
  19. Raff Well-Known Member

All forum Moderation is an exercise in opinion. You'll never come up with system that everyone thinks is fair, so you might as well go with what works for you and the game company running the forum.

Too many people these think that game forums are their personal toilet to spout garbage into at their leisure.

But that is just my opinion.
  20. oldskool Active Member

Here's my moderation suggestion.

Delete any post that is a personal attack or a threat. Ban those posters for 7 days at first and on a second offense permanently.

Aside from that, no posts get deleted and no one gets banned.

Instead, if a Mod thinks a post is off topic or doesn't contribute or is trolling they simply 'rot13' the post.

What that means is the Mod would swap out the post with the rot13 cypher (rot13.com) which would result in a junk text post. If another forum reader wants to they could go through the trouble of copy+paste over to another website to decypher. Most forum readers would just ignore the post and continue on in the thread. For example:

Becomes:

Over time the trollers and flamers would go away because who wants to troll if no one is going to understand what you have to say.
    Moonpanther likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.