An Open Dialogue Regarding Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

beagley bumped your post and RadarX responded to the bumped post rather than the original:

Honestly, your original post was observations and suggestions and had no real questions in it. Unless you are referring to a different post.
  2. Prayos Well-Known Member

RadarX, there's a rumor going around that Feldon was banned for something that he posted on EQ2Wire, and that's why he hasn't been able to get a straight answer from anyone as to why he was banned. This is alarming for a number of reasons, least of which being the fear we can now be banned on EQ2 forums for what we post on third party sites. Is there any validity to this? If not, why the evasion (not necessarily in public, but in private even)? Should be fear being banned for something we post on Reddit? Cause I've posted some forum violations on Reddit directed at Vainwhocareshowtospellisname, and I'd hate to be banned here for that.
    Kraeref and Pipsissiwa like this.
  3. Nolus Well-Known Member

This one?

It is a valid question. Mistakes happen and a double post is a mistake. I've done the same thing and reported it. It isn't something that you should get a warning for, I agree with you 100% Wurm. :)

Part of moderating is recognizing that not every report is a violation and common sense and judgment should be exercised.
    Pipsissiwa likes this.
  4. Ambi Member

RadarX, one earnest question for you.
    What is the policy on "goodbye" threads?
    They've been popping up lately, and they're certainly not new; anytime any sort of significant decision is made regarding the game we have people giving us their sermon on the mount about how the glory days are gone.

They effectively add nothing to the gameplay dialogue and rarely, if ever, does anything constructive come out them. Is there a reason there isn't any strict moderation regarding them?
  5. Feara Well-Known Member

I think a limit could possibly make us much better at posting. Some thought would be required.

Here is another thought. I wish I could of responded to you just now in this thread (not PM) without my response being in the main body of the thread distracting from the main subject.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

You know what policy I'd like to see? If people cannot reply to those types of threads without being rude, sarcastic, and condescending, then they should keep their mouths shut.
  7. Prayos Well-Known Member

Can I have your stuff?
    Feldon likes this.
  8. Ambi Member

That's no fun, you'd lose half the content on the forums. I felt that comment was kind of rude, btw
  9. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why do you feel that comment was rude? And rude to who, exactly?

I have not seen any forum guideline policy that forbids posting a farewell message. However, standard forum guidelines will apply, meaning if any posts (OP included) contain inappropriate content, they can expect to be moderated accordingly.

For some reason, there are people who think a "Good Bye" post is a free for all to slander either the person leaving, or SOE/DBG. It should not be this way. The OP and all replies should be done in accordance with standard forum guidelines.
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  10. Kraeref Well-Known Member

^^^THIS. I was thinking exactly the same!
  11. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

But why make the thread in the first place? If you are going to quit, make your case for the aspects of the game that led to you wanting to quit, but the fact that a person has decided to quit adds nothing to the thread. It's not like some sort of press conference for some professional athlete that is retiring. Tell people what you don't like about the game and why, then move on.

If they moderated rudeness, sarcasm and condescension (especially the last two), these forums would be virtually empty.
    Wanderingbat, Ambi and Feara like this.
  12. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I was thinking about different types of ban and would like to ask RadarX. There was a permanent ban mentioned in this thread with regards to Feldon and Atan. Then you commented something like the team hopes to see Feldon back. He is back of course since then. But it made me wondering what does it really means in terms of moderation policy.
    Permanent I would assume is permanent, means forever. But we know he is back and Atan was back few times. Some folks mentioned as well they wete back to post after few days of suspension.
    The second question is there a tempprary ban then and what is the difference between the two if both mean that posters will be back on forums?
    Thanks.
  13. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I thought we have a freedom of speech in this part of the world. Consider their threads as offtopic since we don't have a special subforum for such comments.
  14. RadarX Community Manager

My official but probably not super professional response? Rumors are dumb and people should listen to them less.

I can list some very rare cases where I have not only suspended a forum account but had a game account suspended as well for actions outside the forums. It usually involved something like a racial slur about an employee or threatening physical violence.
  15. RadarX Community Manager

I'm not a huge fan of them because in most cases people come back, but in general they are just off topic commentary that as long as they remain constructive I don't see why we can't have them.
    Feara, Pipsissiwa and Kraeref like this.
  16. RadarX Community Manager

A temporary suspension is 5 days and we give those after a few warnings. If the temporary ones don't work in some rare cases we do hand out permanent ones. We obviously overturn either of those in some cases. The goal of a suspension should be to relay the gravity of what someone has done and open up a dialogue about it. If that can't be accomplished than the goal is being blunt alleviating my team from having to moderate them for a few days.
    Feara likes this.
  17. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what kind of point you are trying to make here. We are talking about moderation and rules. So if we look at these "farewell" posts as non-constructive then why shouldn't they be moderated? Whether they are or not doesn't really bother me, but pulling out the "freedom of speech" card is kind of silly in this case.

Edit: I think the temporary suspension should be called just that in the message that players receive once it kicks in. Having the message say "You have been banned" doesn't seem accurate to me.
    Ambi likes this.
  18. RadarX Community Manager

There are hundreds of questions and if I'm honest there is a reason I answered so many of these over the weekend. While it isn't the norm we have someone on vacation this week so I'm spinning plates between 3 different products. I'm not sure what your question was but there hasn't been a single question in here I went "Ohhhh yeah I better not answer that one or it may be problematic."
  19. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

You had answered it, but in response to another user re-posting Wurm's post.
  20. RadarX Community Manager

I get this a lot so let me jump up on my soapbox for a second about "freedom of speech" and please don't feel like I'm picking on you because I'm not.

Freedom of Speech is guaranteed in public which believe it or not we aren't in. Everyone is using a privately owned accounting system, on a privately owned forum. Now this works both ways because the same restrictions are what allows me to tell people they can't be racists, misogynists, etc...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.