Devs moved to Reddit

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kinya, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Wurm Well-Known Member

Me typing my theory on you would probably get us both banned.
    Dulcenia, Feldon and Pipsissiwa like this.
  2. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Feldon and Deveryn like this.
  3. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

There is one really useful and positive thing about using Reddit:

There is a small misguided subset of people who confuse the worthy concepts of 'Plain Speaking', 'Constructive Criticism' and 'Honest Opinion' with the less pleasant or useful concepts of 'Rudeness', 'Insult', 'Arrogance' and 'Belittling'.

Thankfully these people are mostly restricted to stupid reality TV shows, but they do creep out of the woodwork on varied forums all over the internet.

In future it will be so much easier to push those people & their remarks (which add nothing to the collective wisdom of mankind) down where they can't cause damage.
    Awkk, Xianthia and Wanderingbat like this.
  4. Jumjumbandito Active Member

The address bar still says SOE. Maybe the rent is due and Sony wants their server back. Daybreak is not going to port or rebuild when a free (and undeniably lesser) option exists.

Just think of reddit as a Forum DLC (and be happy it's free)
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  5. Delishus Active Member

Because the even better theory is that someone has to be the bigger person.
    Awkk likes this.
  6. Rainmare Well-Known Member

It's not 'misguided'. I see people and deal with people, everyday that think those first three, give them complete license to be the second four. usually in the form of 'here is my opinion' and anyone that disagrees with them gets 'insulted/belittled/treated rudely' or their 'constructive criticism' is 'I don't like it, your a (expletive) for adding it, get rid of it' or 'this doesn't do anything to help ME, why are you wasting time on it?' I'll even admit I am that way myself about PvP.

and it's not about pushing those people down. it's more along the lines of say, the 120 member strong guild being able to downvote/destroy anyone's post that doesn't agree with how they think it should work. Or, X person is someone I don't like in game because they once stole a quest mob from me, thus I can make thier forum experience on Reddit a nightmare just by downvoting with my guild anything they say to in essence censor them off the forums. or the hardcore raiders downvoting into the darkest parts of the forum anything about the 'lesser' players complaining about things being 'too hard' in some of the things they come across.

right now all they do is in essence is post back 'L2P noobie'. on Reddit, they can make it like those posts might as well never have existed. you can literally censor and blacklist anyone that you want, if you have enough friends to back you up.

it's like giving every eq2 member a baseball bat, and saying 'the last group standing will get their voices heard' the guy with himself an his eight pals isn't going to be able to do much to stop the mob with 50 people in it, is he? and to top it off, that mob of 50 may only be 4 people that play Eq2...the rest are thier pals from FB/Twitter/RL that our devs just handed bats to because hey, they know how to, or were told how to, get to the eq2 Reddit area.
    GrunEQ, Hijinx, Wirewhisker and 2 others like this.
  7. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Yeah, erm... that's exactly the point I made - some people claim to be just 'Plain Speaking' etc but actually its just an excuse to be just 'Rude' etc.

'Plain Speaking', 'Constructive Criticism' and 'Honest Opinion' (all of which are useful and meaningful) DO NOT mean the same as 'Rudeness', 'Insult', 'Arrogance' and 'Belittling' (Unnecessary and meaningless). But sadly some misguided people think they do.

I also agree completely about the considerable problems with the voting system on Reddit - i don't think at any point I said otherwise. I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek that there was just ONE good thing about Reddit - that rude, nonconstructive people could be voted down. Guess my British humour doesn't always translate well to text.
    Dulcenia and Awkk like this.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

GrunEQ and Pipsissiwa like this.
  9. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Wow past few days has been really weird.

Firstly, why Reddit? of all places to consider, it's almost as bad as using 4chan. Really don't get where that decision has come from. Why are we placing so much info in so many different places? Wiki, Forums, Twitter, Facebook and now Reddit. What next, I have to register on Snapchat for Ttobey to send me updates? (Although that could be fun...).

Secondly, the whole 'Free Feldon' stuff. Yes he may have stepped over the line a bit, but he is by no where near the worst troll on these forums and never will be. The minor trolling he does do is counteracted by the impact he does on a positive side with EQ2Wire. Removing him from the forums really does not achieve anything beneficial when there are so many others out there who go untouched. Consistency is the key to moderation, and honestly there isn't any.

I've always supported the EQ2 Devs for as long as I've played this game, and while sometimes I get annoyed at decisions would stand behind them whatever happens. However lately it's just seemed so much that they are being **** on from the 'higher ups' in the decision making. It is the Dev's who make this game as good as it is, not the Community team. Let them have a say in what matters most for a change.
    suka, Feldon, Aeriel and 2 others like this.
  10. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I'm not sending you updates.
    NickStern, Wurm, Dulcenia and 3 others like this.
  11. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

What about if I add you on Whatsapp, and I can send you photos of the ducks in the pond outside my house?
    Hijinx, Kinya, ttobey and 2 others like this.