An article I think a lot of game fans should read

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Rozyn, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Rozyn Well-Known Member

An article (here) was posted to Kotaku today by writer and game developer Anthony Birch titled "Five Things I Didn’t Get About Making Video Games (Until I Did It)." It's a nice reminder of how developers are human beings and maybe they aren't getting things wrong to spite gaming fans. I enjoyed it and figured I'd share it here too.
  2. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

A article quite a few folks need to read. Thanks for sharing!
  3. suka Well-Known Member

wish that had been a link. so i found it on several forums. and linked one of them here

thanks- good article
  4. Snivel Member

I agree , developers work is a thankless task full of pitfalls and setbacks. Folks line up to say when stuff is wrong. Successes are very rarely commended.

In my opinion, the problem is the not with the developers, but with the publishers. Publishers should stop asking folks to buy or subscribe to a product that is flawed. Publishing a flawed product will ultimately diminish your player confidence base and therefore reduce your capital return. It's basic economics.
    FriggaWitch likes this.
  5. Avirodar Well-Known Member

I wonder how the author of the lined article feels after the honeymoon period is over, and he is working on his 3rd or 4th title of note? I have a strong impression that the things he used to say about those "idiot game developers", will start be said about those "idiot players". He just strikes me as that kind of a person.

If Anthony Burch joined Gearbox with the expectation that making games was a thousand times easier than it really is, and had no idea that games can look incomplete until they are almost complete... *sighs*
  6. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member